Please critique my newborn stash! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am due next month and would like to cd from the start. 

My stash so far:

2 doz imagine prefolds - infant

2 doz imagine prefolds - regular

2 Imagine bamboo fitteds - size nb

2 Mothers ease Sandys fitteds - size small

2 Osocozy fitteds - size small

2 Thirsties fab fitteds - size 1

1 Bumkins aio - small

1 Osocozy aio - small

2 BG pockets - one size

1 Thirsties-  xs

1 Thirsties - small

1 Thirsties duo wrap - size 1

1 Bummis whisper pant - small

1 Bummis whisper wrap - small

1 Mothers ease airflow - med

1 Blueberry coverall - os

1 Ecoposh wool cover - size 1

3 best bottoms stay dry inserts

5 bummis fleece liners

About 30 wipes

3 snappis

I think I have a pretty good grasp - I plan to use the fitteds and pockets at night and between longer changes, and the prefolds at home during the day. I plan to order a few more fitteds, aios and covers around 3-4 months.

I do not understand doublers and inserts - are they necessary for a newborn?  Can I double a fitted with a small prefold?  Also, do I need as many liners as diapers, or are liners only needed for longer time periods like at night?  Should I have more liners and inserts prepped or can I add in the next few months as she gets bigger?

Thanks very much!

#2 of 2 Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I think in general it looks okay...you might want to get a couple more xs covers (we had a lot of leaky poo the first few weeks!), but you can use the s covers, they'll just be huge if you have a small baby.  Our DD was 6 lbs 1 oz, and even the xs stuff was huge on her for a few weeks.  We needed about 6 covers--we had bought 4 and ended up buying a couple of extras.

I did not use doublers or inserts till DD was maybe 4 months old.  (We use just prefolds & covers, so our "doublers" are smaller-size prefolds folded inside the normal prefold diaper.)  I only use them at night.  So right now, her nighttime diaper looks like this:  small prefold folded inside medium prefold, covered by medium cover.  But before about 4 months old, she pooed at night a lot, and didn't mind waking up to be changed.  After that she got annoyed having her diaper changed at night, and since she didn't poo then usually, I just double-diapered her and left her in the diaper all night.  Anyhow, no, you don't need very many inserts (at least we don't) and we just use the smaller-sized prefolds, so we didn't have to buy anything extra.  If you use a fitted diaper system that calls for some specific insert, you might have to do something different.

We started out with 2 doz diapers in each size, and ended up buying an extra doz in each size...but we were line-drying the diapers and our DD would SCREAM if her diaper was the slightest bit wet, so we just didn't have enough.  2 doz is probably enough...you can always wait and see if you need to buy more.

Good luck! :)

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page