looking for advice re: flats, minimalist newborn stash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I am due w/ first baby in November and totally new to cloth diapering. My partner and I are compulsive energy-savers (very "reduce-reuse-recycle") and line-dry most of our clothes. We are also kind of anti-consumerist, not very interested in fancy prints or amassing a huge stash of diapers based on how cute they are. We want to keep it as simple as possible. It seems like the best choice for us diaper-wise would be flatfolds. I was happy just now to stumble upon this thread full of flatfold love...anyone else prefer flats over the other kinds?

We are set to get three dozen hand-me-down prefolds from a friend, so I'm interested in trying those, too. What else should I have in a minimalist newborn stash? Is it possible to buy flats used or are they usually too worn to resell? I prefer buying used over new, both to save money and just on principle. How many will I realistically need, and how many covers?

Many thanks for any advice you have to offer!

#2 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3dz prefolds is a decent stash already. Might not need much else,, depending on the size of the prefolds and your baby. As a fellow diaper minimalist, I say 4-6 covers. I use PUL, so very easy to reuse.
Prerfolds and flats should last through several kids

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 PM

I've very rarely seen flats available secondhand, so I'm not sure that I'd depend on maybe being able to find them that way.  With 3 dozen prefolds - anywhere from 6-12 flats in addition to that would be plenty of diapers.  The flats can get used as doublers with the prefolds, emergency wipes (when I've forgotten any) or just on their own - very versatile.  4-6 covers is a great amount, IMO.  If you err on more of anything - I'd do it with the covers over the diapers (as that's what I find more helpful to have more of - diapers, you just wash more frequently, covers may have longer wash/dry times and there may be days you actually dirty all those 6 covers).

IF you think you'd like to use flats longer than just the first year - I've found the hemp jersey flats to be much more versatile than the birdseye (which were better for a young infant in my experience).  I still use the hemp jersey ones with my older dd's cloth trainers - they're a tad stretchier and bigger also and would fit on my younger dd still in diapers if I needed to use them (she's 2.5 y/o).  

#4 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

IF you think you'd like to use flats longer than just the first year - I've found the hemp jersey flats to be much more versatile than the birdseye (which were better for a young infant in my experience).  I still use the hemp jersey ones with my older dd's cloth trainers - they're a tad stretchier and bigger also and would fit on my younger dd still in diapers if I needed to use them (she's 2.5 y/o).  

How would the hemp jersey flats work for a newborn, do you think? I'd prefer to buy one kind and stick with it if possible.

#5 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 AM

The jersey flats were fine as a newborn too - I think I had a bit of extra length that I had to fold somehow before fastening, that's all.  After a month or 2 there was no real difference, it was just more noticeable then and I didn't have to do anything of the sort with birdseye flats that I had.

#6 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 PM

A friend of mine uses flour sacks as flats.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1139607

Personally, I used 4 dzn prefolds with 3 covers on both of my kids for the first few months. DD still uses those prefolds. However, as a disclaimer, Ive never had a big pooper.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Hi, I haven't used flats, but we exclusively line-dried our diapers for the first six months (no washer or dryer in apartment or nearby laundromat--we handwashed) and have mostly line-dried since.  We use prefolds & covers and really like them.  I hesitated to get flats because it looked like a lot of work folding them up and I didn't think prefolds would take all that much more effort to wash/dry (and we could afford them in multiple sizes, and I figured multiple kids would use them and then they'd become the world's best rags, so it didn't really bother me to buy them).

We have 3 dozen prefolds in each size and that worked really well except for in some really wet & rainy wintertime days...then I ended up ironing some of them dry.  If you have a dryer you can use as backup, 3 dozen will be perfectly fine.

We needed about 6 covers in a size till DD stopped pooping multitudinous times a day.  Maybe you could get by with 4 if you're really good about folding the diapers so poop doesn't escape--I was never that dedicated. :) 

You can buy prefolds used--I think there's a diaperswappers website.  I bought mine new because we intend to have several kids.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#8 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Flats are about as minimal as you can get. They are easier to clean, either by machine or hand washing, last forever, multitaskers, emergency wipe, paper towel replacer, nursing cover, seat cushion, hand towel etc. plus they dry in minutes on the line in the summer. Www.greenmountaindiapers.com has great ones. Also you can wash them with nearly anything and will never have to strip them like you would if you used microfiber. Good luck mommy!
#9 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 AM

I use two dozen prefolds and about ten covers, maybe less. Diapers are completely uninteresting to me, totally utilitarian. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM

A very inexpensive option is cotton flannel receiving blankets as flats. I had a bunch and they work really well.

Mom to Parker and Isaac 6/23/11  familybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gif nocirc.gif

697/2012

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page