Would this take me from birth to potty training? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As the title says, do you think this stash would take me from birth to potty training, or have I overlooked something essential?

In my family, and culture, babies are usually potty trained between 18-24 months.

I am mostly thinking I would go with flats (and a few pockets into which flats can be stuffed), because of the versatility and because I need something that can line dry indoors, in a moist climate, within 24 hours. Paired with disana tie-on nappies, I'm thinking it should be as leak-proof as a sized fitted, but have no problems with rinsing clean, ammonia build-up, elastics that wear out, not-drying in time, being handwashed when electricity is out etc.

As for the folding issue. I find it peaceful to fold towels, and flats don't seem much different? I'm thinking I could prefold them straight from the line, so it would just be a matter of grabbing them like any disposable when needed. Because I can imagine how it could become stressful with a screaming baby, in the middle of the night, trying to fold...and hold, and...

In any case, this is the stash I've planned so far:

36 smaller diapers:

- 14 orange diaperco infant bamboo flats (or the newborn size?)

- 10 disana muslin flats

- 12 imagine birdseye flats

24 larger diapers (only bamboo, because of the extra absorbency need):

- 18 orange diaperco toddler bamboo flats.

- 6 sloomb snapless fitteds (for overnight, 2 per night, line drying 36-48 hours indoors).

8 covers:

- 3 disana wool covers (in each size newborn, small, medium, large).

- 3 imse vimse wool covers (in each size newborn, small, medium, large).

- 2 thirsties duo wrap covers (in size 1, and size 2).

Doublers and Inserts:

- 14 disana tie-ons (to make the flats work with the wool).

- 14 thirsties size 1 hemp inserts.

- 14 thirsties size 2 hemp inserts.

Fasteners:

- 6 snappies (3 for changing table, 3 for changing bag)

- 8 diaper pins (4 for changing table, 4 for changing bag).

8 Pockets (for babysitters, grandmother and other cloth diaper challenged people, and as an emergency back-up):

- 4 rumparooz os (is bamboo, hemp or microfibre best?).

- 2 charlie banana os

- 2 thirsties duo diapers in size 1.

- 2 thirsties duo diapers in size 2.

#2 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

That certainly looks like a complete stash!  Wow!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM

i wouldn't suggest buying all at once.

size wise, my dd pt at 26m and never wore a large cover, and she is fairly large, but proportional.

i only used 3 snappies the whole time in constant use.  i suggest 3 snappies and 2 set of pins.  and was able to pass them along

i only used prefolds and fitted (gmd workhorse) and never needed extra inserts.  my kids pooped a lot but not big pee-ers.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yup, I'd say so!  That would cover every base and then some.  I always washed every two days and only had 24 OS diapers total and even then that was plenty for my boy as a newborn and more than enough as he hit older babyhood.  That stash almost seems too big, if you get my meaning.  No biggie if cost isn't an issue, but if it is, you could easily cut down the smaller diapers to 24-28 (36 diapers is A LOT!!!)  I loved, loved, loved the thirsties doublers too, but 14 of each size is a lot of doublers!  We really only used a couple a day, and never in the size 2 unless he was sleeping overnight.  He was a big boy and a heavy wetter, but the size 2 was just far too bulky on him - he could barely crawl/walk with so much cloth between his legs.  Don't underestimate how much pee a size 1 doubler can hold, seriously, those things are awesome.  That was more than enough for our needs without the extra bulk (although we potty trained at 15.5 months, so I don't know if your baby would need them as he gets closer to 2). 

Have fun deciding on your stash!

Vegetarian, breastfeeding, cloth diapering and EC'ing mama to my bare-foot, TV-free, free-range toddler and loving it!!!

#5 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. It really does help hearing from others who do have experience, since I just had no clue about there being no need for doublers during daytime, nor for how long a snappi usually will hold up to being used. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

i wouldn't suggest buying all at once.

size wise, my dd pt at 26m and never wore a large cover, and she is fairly large, but proportional.

i only used 3 snappies the whole time in constant use.  i suggest 3 snappies and 2 set of pins.  and was able to pass them along

i only used prefolds and fitted (gmd workhorse) and never needed extra inserts.  my kids pooped a lot but not big pee-ers.

I hadn't planned on buying it all at once. For one thing, it is easier dividing the cost over a few months. For another, we might find we prefer cotton over bamboo, or the pockets over the flats, or look into fitteds for ease of use. We might find that wool isn't working for us, and that we prefer our thirsties covers, or that we need to look into some other covers entirely. You just never know, do you? I thought we would start with the newborn/small part of what we need, and then update as needed. :)

As for the snappies and pins...how did you keep track of the extras? That is why I've planned so many. Because knowing myself and small things, I'm afraid the spares would disappear magically. But perhaps, they don't because they are in use? In any case. I will start with just a 3-pack of snappies and one pack of pins. Then we will see if we need to buy more over time. Neither is hard to come by for a good price here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRunner View Post

Yup, I'd say so!  That would cover every base and then some.  I always washed every two days and only had 24 OS diapers total and even then that was plenty for my boy as a newborn and more than enough as he hit older babyhood.  That stash almost seems too big, if you get my meaning.  No biggie if cost isn't an issue, but if it is, you could easily cut down the smaller diapers to 24-28 (36 diapers is A LOT!!!)  I loved, loved, loved the thirsties doublers too, but 14 of each size is a lot of doublers!  We really only used a couple a day, and never in the size 2 unless he was sleeping overnight.  He was a big boy and a heavy wetter, but the size 2 was just far too bulky on him - he could barely crawl/walk with so much cloth between his legs.  Don't underestimate how much pee a size 1 doubler can hold, seriously, those things are awesome.  That was more than enough for our needs without the extra bulk (although we potty trained at 15.5 months, so I don't know if your baby would need them as he gets closer to 2). 

Have fun deciding on your stash!

The reason I've planned so many newborn/small flats is that I simply can't make up my mind if I want to go with muslin or birdseye for the cotton flats. I've read good things about both and bad things about both, and just want to be able to form my own opinion. And well...you don't seem to ever be able to have too many cotton flats to double as burp cloths, changing pad protection, bibs etc. from what I've read. Hence, the HUGE stash of newborn/small diapers. *blushes*

And thank you for sharing your experience on the thirsties doublers. So, how many doublers would be enough? Would as little as four do the trick, if line drying? Or six?

#6 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 AM

Hmmm. Like I said, I loved the thirsties doublers because they hold a lot of pee, but by the same token they will hold a LOT of clean laundry water and do take forever to dry. And I do mean forever. I guess I missed the part where you said you would be line drying... Umm, you need maybe eight? Around there? Depending on how often you wash and plan on changing the baby, you could have some wiggle room. I washed every other day and religiously changed him every three hours and I used about 3-4 a day. I think... But count on them taking 24 hours or more to line dry. I line dried my dipes sometimes, and in the bright hot windy weather 95 degrees or so it would take around 12 hours, and indoors took around 24 if I remember right. Hope that helped!

Vegetarian, breastfeeding, cloth diapering and EC'ing mama to my bare-foot, TV-free, free-range toddler and loving it!!!

#7 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think it looks great. And 18m is a great and easy time to start potty learning. We do as well and it is a snap. I particularly love imse vimse training pants.

#8 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRunner View Post

Hmmm. Like I said, I loved the thirsties doublers because they hold a lot of pee, but by the same token they will hold a LOT of clean laundry water and do take forever to dry. And I do mean forever. I guess I missed the part where you said you would be line drying... Umm, you need maybe eight? Around there? Depending on how often you wash and plan on changing the baby, you could have some wiggle room. I washed every other day and religiously changed him every three hours and I used about 3-4 a day. I think... But count on them taking 24 hours or more to line dry. I line dried my dipes sometimes, and in the bright hot windy weather 95 degrees or so it would take around 12 hours, and indoors took around 24 if I remember right. Hope that helped!

It does help. Thank you! :)

I suppose, that means I should count on a full 48 hours in my damp home before things dry. Can hemp be dried on radiators? Here in Sweden, we run our radiators for at least 8 out of 12 months. Which does speed drying up a bit. And during the summer, I'm thinking of hanging a rod in the windows on the sunny side, to make use of the warmth on sunny days to speed drying up (and take stains out too).

#9 of 10 Old 08-06-2012, 05:56 AM

I'll bet it could be dried on a radiator. Hemp seems really tough, and in the 15 or so months that we used them, there was no real visible wear or tear that I could see (except maybe a slight fraying around the edge of the stitching, but the cloth itself looked great, unlike my microfiber inserts that had visibly aged in just a few months). At any rate I bet you could do just about anything to those inserts and they would be just fine.

#10 of 10 Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

That's really good to know. Thank you. :)

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page