Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, not sure where to post this and I can't find anything about it.

We wash our cloth diapers with borax and washing soda and they stink as soon as my son pees in them.  Anyone had this problem with the same washing method?  Advice?  Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm going to go ahead and move this over the the diapering forum.  :)

#3 of 7 Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM

I've always jut used cd detergent but it sounds like you definitely need to strip. I have had success with just adding a few kettles of hot water to my already full of hot water top loader. It's free and easy. Worth a try. I do that about once a month or so and it seems to help with any build up.

Just be careful because there are a few brands that say you can only wash on warm (like grovia) I still have used this method and they're fine but just FYI.
#4 of 7 Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM

I agree, sounds like they need to be stripped. I have to do an extra rinse each time I wash otherwise I get build up pretty quickly.
#5 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I will try stripping.  I didn't think I would have to do that with my washing method but I suppose it could be build up after all.  Other than just adding extra hot water how do I go about stripping diapers?

#6 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM

I just re-read your OP and if they stink after he pees in them but not right out of the laundry it could also be ammonia build up - meaning you're not using enough water or not using enough soap. (too much soap=stink. not enough soap = stink ayyiyi!) 

I have a top loader and when I first stared CDing I wasn't setting the water level high enough (always do the max) and I had big stink problems. I had to add a rinse to my routine as well. Do you have a top loader or front loader? 

Have you ever tried a commercial detergent? I'm just wondering because I've heard mixed things about using Borax. It took us a while to find a detergent that worked for us and our water. 

Anyhoo  for stripping I have had great sucess with RLR. It's pretty cheap and they might have it at your grocery store where the RIT dye and stuff like that is. Otherwise i order it from here https://www.sweetbottomsbaby.com/search.asp?keyword=rlr&search.x=0&search.y=0

You wash your diapers as usual - so start with clean ones - then add a packet of this and do a hot wash. Then just do a few more rinses and if you have a top loader,stop it to make sure there are no more bubbles. If it's build up from detergent that should do the trick. I'd try the hot water and extra soap first to see if that does the trick. 

#7 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

We have a top loader.  I do the Large setting.  Cold cycle, hot cycle with 2 spoonfuls of borax and 2 or 3 washing soda.  Then an extra rinse after.  Tried adding really hot water, we'll see if they smell better.  They don't wreak when they are freshly cleaned and they have a bit of an odor, but once he pees in them they smell like old fish. :(  We used the white bottle of Method at first and then switched, might try that again and see if it helps too.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page