Expecting next month after not having an infant for 9 years--where to get prefolds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I long ago gave away all my cloth diaper supplies. We were a pull-on cover, prefolds and Snappis family and it worked well for us, so we want to do it again, but after not shopping for diapers for 9 years, I'm not sure where to get the best deals on quality prefolds, pull-on covers, etc. 

We are also planning on trying EC, so I don't need a huge stash, probably just a couple dozen prefolds, a few covers, etc. 

Any tips on where folks shop these days, what to avoid/what to look for would be appreciated!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#2 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 06:01 PM

Green Mountain Diaper online! Great prefolds and good prices.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Green Mountain Diapers has been around forever and everyone raves about their pfs. Nickis Diapers has the Imagine line which seems to be the cheapest priced. Bummis has kits, not sure which retailers might have them in.

#4 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM

I have a pretty gigantic stash, but I've found that there are tons of people selling used prefolds (people whose kids grew way faster than they thought ususally) on diaperswappers. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, both those sites look like great places to start. 

There seem to be a lot more size options in prefolds than there were 10 years ago. I remember having infant and premium size ones, and that worked fine. Are there advantages to the inbetween sizes I am seeing? I do want to be a minimalist since we do want to give EC a full go.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#6 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 PM

I'm in a similar boat, my daughter is almost 10 and I just found out I'm pregnant after years of trying.  I plan to order from Green Mountain as well, which is actually a switch for me, because 10 years ago I was the epitome of a diaper hyena (a term coined here because of us crazed WAHM diaper freaks haha) but this time I am going a lot more low budget, plus I saved the most prized dipes in my stash, which I believe are vintage and even cooler now ;)

#7 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A fellow minimalist here. Also a gal that went 9yrs between kids.

I love gmd sizing. My baby was large, but proportional, and still needed to fold the gmd down when my oldest pt at 25m (36" and 30lb) No way would need the length of the old sizing, though did need the width of new sizing to snappi. I guess those that just fold the prefold into fitted covers can get away with less width.

Unless you are having a very small baby (6lb or under). I would suggest 2dz gmd yellow. I was then able to switch to gmd brown. I went with 1dz prefolds and 1dz workhorse.

As for covers, I went with what I like for my oldest, motherease side snap covers. I liked being able to unsnap and use the underside part of the cover as a changing pad

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM

We also got ours from green mountain diapers.

I will admit that we have bought every size so far (XS, S, currently in M) and I'm so glad we did.  I'm sure you could fold the bigger sizes down to fit, but cloth diapers are already bulky enough.  Our DD was born 6 lbs 1 oz, suuuuuper skinny, and even the XS orange diapers were huge on her.  She has always been tall and skinny, and it's nice to be able to size-up in diapers without going super huge.  Prefolds are cheap enough that buying a couple dozen extra (because I guess we could've just gone with the yellow & brown ones) doesn't bother me at all.  They also make great changing pads and diaper doublers, and later on after we're done with kidlets I intend to use them as cleaning rags, if I don't give them to some other happy family!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#9 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...probably the GMD small / yellow will work then, since DD#1 was 7 1/2 and DD#2 was 9 1/2 lbs. 

Nice to see so many other moms with big gaps between kids:-).

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page