Urgent help with CDs to a total noob - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I have a 7-day old and he is starting to show signs of diaper rash (we use disposables). 

I am completely overwhelmed right now and have had no sleep for past week. PLEASE.... if I want to start him on cloth diapers.... what can I buy which should be just like disposables but made of cloth.

Meaning.,.. I read some past threads and people are using all kinds of terminology that is confusing me. Covers? Waterproof layer (meaning plastic?)- washing methods and inserts????

What are all those? So if I buy fuzzibunz (say) then I am just buying covers? Where do I get inserts? And what do the inserts stay in - layer of plastic/cloth? I want to buy everything as one diaper... can't stitch to save my life.Don't want to keep ordering and returning from Amazon......

Please.... what can I buy that is the complete thing + will hold everything in+size (my LO was 7 pounds at birth.) and is soft that it won't hurt my LOs bum anymore?

TIA

#2 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Hey mama,

First of all, just take a breath and have a cup of tea. hug2.gif

Second, a quick terminology glossary:

AIO = All in One = a waterproof diaper with an insert sewn in.  This would be the most similar to a disposable but sometimes they can take a while to dry. (eg. Kissas, BumGenius Freetime, Swaddlebees)

Pocket = a waterproof diaper that has a 'pocket' that you slide an insert into.  A lot of brand new pocket diapers come with inserts (eg. Fuzzibunz, BumGenius 4.0, Rumparooz)

AI2 = All in Two = a waterproof diaper with an insert that lays on top of (or snaps to) the cover. (eg. Applecheeks, Lil Helpers, Best Bottoms)

To make your life simpler you might want to get one-size (OS) diapers.  

You will need to be careful with washing, as lots of regular detergents aren't good for cloth diapers; it ends up coating them and then they don't absorb properly. (I play it safe and use Rockin Green or Eco Sprout detergent)

Here's a list I found that goes through different detergents and rates them.  DO NOT look at this if you are feeling overwhelmed; it is a LONG list!!!

Hope that helps!

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
#3 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM

...it works if I actually attach the list.....

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
#4 of 8 Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM

It will be OK.  Sounds like you need a few hugs right now hug2.gif

I remember those days and when I got the hang of side laying nursing it really helped me start to get some sleep.

It sounds like you are looking for the easiest system to use.  One Size diapers (or OS, they adjust or grow with your baby) are good in the long run, and you can get either pockets (where you stuff the insert, which is included with any good diapers) or All In One (AIO, the insert is sewn in).  The only down side is that they may not fit a 7 lb baby yet.  Many people say they don't fit well until at least 10 lb.  They tend to be to bulky and this causes leaking.

The solution to this is to get newborn (or NB) diapers to start with and use the one size when he outgrows the newborn.  You won't use them long, but they do make life much easier and they can be resold when you are done with them (diaperswappers.com is good for that).  These newborn diapers are usually AIO (one piece) and there are a few brands out there They tend to run about $15 new each (or you can check around to find them second hand).  I do know that Lil Joeys and Grovia Newborn both seem to be popular.

Any cloth diaper shop should have a newborn section where you can compare what is available.  This is a link to a database where you can easily find shops that carry what you are looking for, some even have newborn rental programs.  http://paddedtushstats.com/retailer-database/

Amyread.gifsewmachine.gif - married to my best friend bikenew.gif and mom to DS jog.gif  born September, 2011.

winner.jpg    nocirc.gif    femalesling.GIF    familybed1.gif    cd.gif

#5 of 8 Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Oh, and if you are having issues with diaper rash, I should warn you about cloth safe diaper creams.  http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/diaperrashcreams.htm can tell you what is safe for your diapers.  We have used Grandma El's the few times he's gotten a little red and it's worked well.

Amyread.gifsewmachine.gif - married to my best friend bikenew.gif and mom to DS jog.gif  born September, 2011.

winner.jpg    nocirc.gif    femalesling.GIF    familybed1.gif    cd.gif

#6 of 8 Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

thank you..this helps....questions later :)

#7 of 8 Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjoyce79 View Post

Oh, and if you are having issues with diaper rash, I should warn you about cloth safe diaper creams.  http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/diaperrashcreams.htm can tell you what is safe for your diapers.  We have used Grandma El's the few times he's gotten a little red and it's worked well.

I second Grandma El's; you don't need much at all, and it's amazing!!

#8 of 8 Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I got two Gro-Via One-Size All-in-Dispers as a gift for our newest baby and we are loving them so far. They are a little pricy but they are fitting so much better and are softer than some of the other brands. 

So, as an aio they go on just like a disposable. They do have a snap in pad that can be removed for smaller babies and put back and left there when they get bigger and need more absorbancy. The way the diaper is sewn makes drying not take too long and they are trim so not too bulky on the little ones.

The inside is 100% cotton and very soft. The outside waterproof layer is synthetic but soft and stretchy. Not at all like the old plastic pants that used to be used.

http://www.gro-via.com/cloth-grovia-aio.html

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page