four-month-old hates cloth now - trim diaper options? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son has been cloth diapered since birth. we've had him in GMD prefolds (orange, yellow, and now red), Goodmamas, Little Lions (currently size medium) w/ Flip covers. lately we've noticed that every time we change his diaper, he looks elated when the diaper comes off and becomes an angry, cranky, drooly mess when the clean diaper goes on. incidentally, he's also been a cranky mess in general for the past two weeks.

he was having an 'episode' tonight, so my husband decided to take off his diaper for some naked time. he immediately became much happier, and after a few minutes was showing much more mobility than he's shown in weeks, even turning for the first time. I'm kind of kicking myself for not figuring it out earlier. his legs are so confined in the diapers greensad.gif

he's in a disposable right now, and pretty happy. but we like using cloth and don't want to make the switch. are there any super-trim cloth diapers out there? anything that won't cover much of his upper thighs like our prefolds and fitteds were doing?

thanks in advance smile.gif

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

#2 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Best bottoms I found to be the trimmest but still with lots of absorbency. It's an AI2 system so you won't need nearly as many covers as inserts. Fuzzibunz pockets are also quite trim but I have large hands and find them a challenge to stuff.
#3 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Gro-vio os aios are really great. Very absorbent and much trimmer that many other brands we've tried.

#4 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

thank you! all those are great options. though we had some perfect size Fuzzibuns on hand, and tried one, and I couldn't even snap it shut - he started wailing :( we also tried BG Elementals which are better than the prefolds, but he was still pretty unhappy.

I'm starting to think that he has some sort of sensory issue with diapers in addition to it restricting his movement, but going diaper-free is not an option for us. 

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

#5 of 5 Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Is it the diaper or the diaper change he hates? After DD started rolling, she wouldn't lay still for a change and wailed if I tried to hold her down in place. I started diapering her on her tummy, on hands and knees, and once she started pulling up, standing. She hated/hates the interruption to her activities, being confined to one place for a minute, not being allowed to roll/crawl/run off somewhere. The absolute best way to diaper her is like a magician: using distraction and misdirection to keep her occupied with something (books are great for this) and diaper her swiftly and silently like a ninja. I wonder if tummy time might be a good time to try changing your LO while he's playing with a toy or looking at a book or something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page