Cloth Diapering Noob, Help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently found out I'm expecting again, and DF and I are really wanting to use cloth diapers, but... I'm clueless! I had a few (one or two) that I used when DS was a baby, but... it wasn't the best experience. I have been looking online, and I have some questions. I didn't see my exact questions already on the boards, so I hope I didn't overlook it. If I did, please direct me?

I want to go with mostly all-in-ones, but there are a lot of brands. I know the... efficiency can vary from child to child, so I want to get a variety, but I don't have a bunch of money to spend, so I was wondering where I can get fairly cheap, decent quality diapers, or if we're going to have to just spend ~$15/diaper?

I've found some on ebay that are NWT, but they are from China, but DF is worried about the customs charges. He said they could charge us a bunch of money, and we wouldn't know until they were delivered. Has anyone ordered from Chinese stores, or have any experience? Are we better just ordering state-side?

How many do I need for various stages? Newborn, infant, toddler, etc. What is a good stash size?

How do I wash them? Will I need to get special detergent, or what is the best way to launder them?

I probably sound really stupid, but between pregnancy brain, and not having any idea where to start, I'm kind of overwhelmed. TIA!

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#2 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

I recently found out I'm expecting again, and DF and I are really wanting to use cloth diapers, but... I'm clueless! I had a few (one or two) that I used when DS was a baby, but... it wasn't the best experience. I have been looking online, and I have some questions. I didn't see my exact questions already on the boards, so I hope I didn't overlook it. If I did, please direct me?

I want to go with mostly all-in-ones, but there are a lot of brands. I know the... efficiency can vary from child to child, so I want to get a variety, but I don't have a bunch of money to spend, so I was wondering where I can get fairly cheap, decent quality diapers, or if we're going to have to just spend ~$15/diaper?

I've found some on ebay that are NWT, but they are from China, but DF is worried about the customs charges. He said they could charge us a bunch of money, and we wouldn't know until they were delivered. Has anyone ordered from Chinese stores, or have any experience? Are we better just ordering state-side?

How many do I need for various stages? Newborn, infant, toddler, etc. What is a good stash size?

How do I wash them? Will I need to get special detergent, or what is the best way to launder them?

I probably sound really stupid, but between pregnancy brain, and not having any idea where to start, I'm kind of overwhelmed. TIA!

I have heard about these Chinese AOI's from Ebay. I'm sure there are lots of posts here and on other diapering sites that cover all kinds of details about them. You will have to pay whatever shipping charges but I've never heard of having to pay customs charges. I've shipped and received things from overseas a lot. 

Lots of diapers are "one size", which can sometimes not mean TRULY one size but that they will get you through the bulk of your diapering life. If they don't work for those early infant weeks, and option is to use disposables or inexpensive prefolds and cheap-o covers. 

To anticipate stash size, you just imagine how many diapers your child will go through - maybe 6/day and multiply that times the number of days you want to not wash - say 3. So you'll need 6x3 + a couple for a diaper bag and for the baby to wear while you're laundering. Maybe 24 diapers for a every 3 days wash cycle? 

Also, post in your DDC and search all the millions of threads here. You'll find more than enough info, that's for sure! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM

I personally love all in 2s because I like to hang dry the covers and dry the inserts in the dryer. (I find all in 1s take too long to dry but that's just my preference.)

I'd have to say Grovias are probably my favorite in my stash and they make all in 1's too.

As far as washing and all this site is an awesome resource. I order from her a lot and did a newborn rental here -

https://itsybitsybums.3dcartstores.com/Help_ep_43.html

Congrats on the new wee one!

#4 of 4 Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM

If you don't like the idea of spending $15 per diaper, choose something other than AIO's. They take forever to dry anyway.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page