Laundry soap for Charlie Banana diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sooooo, I am in the transition to cloth diapers a little late in the game. DS is almost 2 years old and he has been in 7th Gen/Earth's Best disposable diapers since birth. It was to make it easier for DBF and his dad when they watch DS. Anyways, now that I am in school very part time (and his poops aren't as messy anymore. lol) and we are extremely tight on money, we decided to cloth diaper now until he learns to use the potty. 

I decided to go with CB diapers and my question is:

What laundry soap is best for these kind of diapers? The soap I use now for all laundry is ALL free and clear but I saw that it wasn't appropriate for cloth diapers. 

Thanks in advance! orngbiggrin.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#2 of 3 Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and where can I get it at? 

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#3 of 3 Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM

I recently did some research on this myself, looking at what parents were saying about detergents for cloth diapers in general, including those recommended by manufacturers, and those recommended for hard water. Here is a synopsis of what I found:

All manufacturers seem to recommend "additive free" detergents (eg. bleach, fragrances, whiteners etc.), and some of them offer their own pricey versions. When I read parent reviews/blogs, most of the pricey "diaper detergents" did not work very well at removing stains/odors. Over and over again, I noticed parents recommending Tide free and clear, which thankfully, is cheaper! If you have hard water, you can add A LITTLE bit of Calgon to help things get cleaner. (Don't add too much like I did- washing machine turns into a bubble factory!) I've been using this combo myself about 2 weeks now, and I have CB, BumGenius, Thirsties and littleGs. It doesn't work quite as well as regular Tide, but it is very close. I also noticed the diapers got a lot cleaner if I washed them with a little more water (instead of using "auto" for the water level, which saves water, I manually set it to low, med or high as needed). And a repeat wash/rinse is recommended too.

Hope this helps!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page