Advice needed on our lack of washer/dryer - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out that we are expecting #2 and I'd really like to cloth diaper this time, not the least because disposable diapers are really expensive here.

Problem is that we live in an apartment and don't have our own washer and dryer!  The washers and dryers here are shared and they dispense their own environmentally friendly soap (that you can't turn off) and have four cycles to choose from that are just temperatures - no other options.  They never ever get stained clothes clean (unlike my previous machines and no matter what stain cleaner you spray on them) and I have to bleach DD's school shirts in the sink before hand if I want to get stains out.  At least they have big sinks for handwashing.

So, is it still possible for us to cloth diaper in our current situation?  I'm a little worried about the diapers getting clean.

Momma (25) to DD (almost 4)  and TTC #2.  Married to DH (almost 27) living the cold.gifteapot2.GIFdh_malesling.GIF,bikenew.gif,wash.gifknit.gif life and hoping to hbac.gif and cd.gif

#2 of 4 Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 AM

In your situation I would stick to using easy to wash flats and covers. I'd probably also consider buying/making a plunger washer or some type of portable washer. I likely wouldn't want to wash my diapers in the automatic soap dispensing machines before verifying the soap is okay to use with cloth diapers. My other concern is that if the soap is added every wash, you may be unable to fully rinse it out. It's doable, especially with hemp or cotton flats, or other natural fiber diapers. Just remember that the more layers, the tougher it is to keep clean.
#3 of 4 Old 10-20-2012, 02:26 PM

Definitely minimize your layers, and I would suggest getting a diaper sprayer to spray out poop.

I would suggest also checking out diaper services in Denmark. That could let you use cloth without dealing with the washing issue.

#4 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM

Hi, for the first six months or so of DD's life we cloth diapered and lived in an apartment without washer & dryer (laundromat within driving distance).  It can be done--and at least you have access to the washer.  We ended up putting our diapers to soak in soapy water buckets the minute they came off the baby, then scrubbing them out in the tub with a hard brush, then doing a double rinse and hanging them to dry.  Every couple of weeks we'd do an extra wash at the laundromat to get them especially clean, but the soapy soaking took care of pretty much everything (EBF baby).

Good luck!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page