FRUSTRATED by leaks! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok...what am I missing!? I am SO tempted to go back to my 7th gen diapers even though I hate that they are throw aways and are EXPENSIVE....but my son is constantly leaking through his cloth diapers and it is SO frustrating, what am I doing wrong!?irked.gif

I use prefolds and thirsty covers. I am still using size small covers, rated for babes up to 18 pounds and my ds is about 15.....could they be too small? Any special folding techniques!? THANKS!

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#2 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 PM

You could try sizing up.  If he is a heavy wetter, he may just need more coverage to contain it.  Have you tried adding another layer in the prefold, like a hemp doubler?

#3 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM

How often are you changing him? 

It could be how he pees.  I feel like babies who do little pees over a period of time tend to leak less than babies who hold it for awhile and let it all go at once.  Even so though, a prefold should be able to catch it all.  What brand prefolds are you using?

Are you making sure that every single bit of the cloth diaper is inside the cover?  If even a teeny bit it sticking out, everything will get soaked.

Mama to three

#4 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I am changing him ALOT...about every 1.5 hours to 2 hours. I am wondering if I just have unrealistic expectations because I used disposables before and they basically can hold forever, even though I would never leave him in one for more than 3 hours.

Anyhoo...that is interesting about what type of pee he has. My son is the type who holds it and then does one REALLY big pee. So that could be part of the problem. I will make extra sure to really tuck the prefold in well today and see if that makes a difference. How often do you find that you need to change your babe in cloth?

THANKS

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#5 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM

A few questions...

1 - is the diaper soaked when he leaks?

2 - where does he leak? the front? back? legs?

3 - what type of diapers are you using?  prefolds, fitteds, etc?

#6 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 04:42 PM

I also change every 1.5-2 hours, but I probably wouldn't need to do it until 3 hours most times.  We use a variety of kind of diapers, but right now, mostly Rita's Rump - which are two body layers of flannel or cotton knit that is stuffed with a prefold.

Majaliwa makes a good point.  Is the diaper soaking wet?  Overnight, with my first baby, his diaper would be disgustingly soaked in the morning, like we could wring it out if we wanted to.  His covers didn't leak though and we were just using the cheapy Gerber vinyl pull-on covers. 

Mama to three

#7 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majaliwa View Post

A few questions...

1 - is the diaper soaked when he leaks?

2 - where does he leak? the front? back? legs?

3 - what type of diapers are you using?  prefolds, fitteds, etc?

Yes the diaper is usually soaked, he seems to be leaking around the legs, even though I make sure to tuck in every last bit of fabric and the leg gussets are pulled down. I am using prefolds...osocoze (sp?) and thirsties covers. I have to admit I have been so frustrated and today we had so many outings to do with his older siblings due to Halloween that I put him in disposables all day, and that makes me kinda sad:( It just feels so wasteful. No part of the cloth bothers me, the laundry, the poop, etc...I just want them to work. Maybe I need a better cover?

#8 of 12 Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM

We have a similar leak problem.  We joke that he somehow teleports his pee out of the diapers because sometimes they aren't even that wet.  I've come to realize that it may have to do with the angle at which he pees.  I think his penis sticks out of the top of the diaper or out of the leg snap area sometimes, and then the bed always gets wet. 

Our other problem was that we washed the diaper covers on too high heat in the machine, and it destroyed part of the waterproof coating, but I assume you probably don't do that. 

The one cover that doesn't leak at all for us is wool.  We bought two of them and use them at night over a few diapers and another diaper cover.  The type that we bought pulls up like pants and comes up half-way to his nipples.  It really contains everything - all the soaked nighttime diapers, the weird angles, and the semi-waterproof covers.  The wool covers were a little expensive, but not much compared to disposables.  I couldn't bring myself to put them on him in the summer as it was just too hot, but in the winter, they don't seem to bother him much.

#9 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avismama24 View Post

Yes the diaper is usually soaked, he seems to be leaking around the legs, even though I make sure to tuck in every last bit of fabric and the leg gussets are pulled down. I am using prefolds...osocoze (sp?) and thirsties covers. I have to admit I have been so frustrated and today we had so many outings to do with his older siblings due to Halloween that I put him in disposables all day, and that makes me kinda sad:( It just feels so wasteful. No part of the cloth bothers me, the laundry, the poop, etc...I just want them to work. Maybe I need a better cover?

If the diaper is completely soaked when you change him, you probably need to size up.  There is probably just not enough fabric to hold that much liquid.  Alternatively, add a booster like a hemp doubler to the diaper. 

#10 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

THANKS ALL!

#11 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Problem solved! I am now placing a cheepie Gerber rubber pant over the cloth and then then putting on the cover....it is working like a charm! Thanks for all the great advice :)

#12 of 12 Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 PM

So glad you found a solution!  It would be sad to give up on cloth  :-(  If you can afford it later, maybe also invest in a Disana wool cover (free shipping at Abby's lane) which is about $23 or something.  You don't have to wash them unless it gets poop on it - just air dry between uses.  They're great for night-time too.

avismama24 likes this.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page