stinky diapers - stripping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm using hemp prefolds and have been having trouble with the diapers REALLY stinking when DD pees. We EC, so not using the diapers all the time, and when she pees elsewhere (potty, floor, clothing...) I don't notice a problem with smell, so I think it must be the diapers. We use Allens Natural Detergent. I tried stripping them in our front loader but still have the problem. I simply put them through the wash once with soap, and then two more times (hot) with nothing but some baking soda. I didn't really see any bubbles, which is what everybody talks about, so i don't know if I did this right. The diapers smell OK when clean, it's just after she pees. Is this a diaper stripping issue?? Any advice on how to get them stripped using a front loader?? Really want to do it right next time (it's a lot of washes for it to not really work) and need somebody with experience to tell me how.

Thanks! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 AM

I loved hemp for the absorbency but had to stop using them during the day because the stink was so bad!  I think that's just the nature of hemp, but I hope you get some good advice!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM

Confession: I used the sanitize cycle on my HE front loader. 

I did my usual rinse and no spin in cold then I washed first on normal & hot with soap. Took out all the pul covers, then washed again on sanitize, light soil, extra rinse, no soap. I'm battling a huge all over body yeast infection so I had to sanitize. I tried vinegar but it made them worse, something to do with my hard water. 

I would stop using the baking soda. I've also heard that Allen's can cause issues for people. I've had the best success with EcoSprout detergent. 

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Hemp has a special hemp stink. Luckily easy to fix.

Do a strip by washing with hot hot water, 1/2 cup baking soda and adding 2/3 cup vinegar to the rinse.

If they are really bad, it make take two rounds.

Add a 1/4 cup baking soda to your detergent when you wash.

I love the sanitize cycle and it is fine for prefolds and inserts, just very hard on elastic and snaps and killer to PUL.

Allens is great and is used by a lot of diaper services. I also love EcoSprout

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List