Washing diapers in hard water. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cloth diapered my two youngest when we lived in Oregon where the water was not hard at all.  Now I am living in Texas. We are expeting another little one next March and I have been told that many of the things I did in Oregon are very big no-nos when you have hard water. 

So for any mom's that have to deal with hard water what is your diaper washing routine?

Some examples of things that I was told not to do here are to use vinigar on stink- it will just make it worse.  I was also told that using oxiclean in hard water can also hurt things more then it helps. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#2 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM

I'm not sure if I can be that helpful-- but I have washed cloth in hard water and it was difficult to find a washing routine that worked. First you need to find a detergent that works with hard water. I tried purex free and clear, plain tide, allen's, country fresh, and others I'm forgetting... and then I found Crunchy Clean on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/37440481/cloth-diaper-detergent-regular-size?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=crunchy+clean&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

I think a MDC mama might've recommended it actually! With a good detergent, this was my routine that mostly worked:

cold soak in plain water

cold wash cycle with soap

hot wash cycle with soap

rinse cycle with tea tree oil and sometimes lavender

(sometimes) final rinse cycle

And then if I hung them to dry in the sun I avoided most smells/stains. However I hope that another mama posts on here with better ideas because doing THAT many cycles was a chore and also drove up our water bill. I'll be dealing with this again soon so I want to know if there's a better way, too!

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#3 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM

We have very hard water, and have to use calgon in every load, but it leaves diapers (and clothes) very clean, it really makes a BIG difference. Oh, and we use Planet as our detergent.

#4 of 5 Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#5 of 5 Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 AM

We have hard water as well.  I used Rockin' Green detergent.  They even have one for hard water called "Hard Rock".

I would just do a pre-rinse cycle on hot (I might add Borax or washing soda), and then a cycle with the Hard Rock, and then an extra rinse.  I would dry on hight heat.  We just used prefolds, and I'd hang the covers to dry, so I didn't have to worry about damaging my dipes by using hot temperatures.

I didn't have stink.  Sometimes I'd have poo stains, so I would either sun bleach the dipes from time to time or do a cycle with a bit of bleach every few months in the winter.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page