Best newborn covers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due with #2 in July and have a pretty good stash of OS pockets. I also have 7 motherease OS and a dozen flats (as well as a ton of old receiving blankets I intend to use as flats). My plan for the newborn stage is to get 3 covers and use flats until baby fits into the OS dipes. I realize poop will be messy and I'm open to getting a couple more covers if needed. Which newborn covers work well? Which do you like? I had DD in sposies until 12 months so this is new territory for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM

My DD was pretty small (6 lbs 1 oz) and the ONLY cover that fit for the first couple weeks was the Bummies XS (6-8 lbs).  I only had one though--Thirsties  duos size 1 and XS Thirsties worked pretty well, and were really nice after that for the whole XS prefold diaper size time period (till 10 lbs, I think).

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM

I love the rumparooz newborns--they fit great on my skinny guy. 

Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM

For newborn covers, I would also recommend the Bummis covers in the smallest size.  The Super Brights go smaller than the Super Whisper Wraps.  The main other difference between the two is that the Super Brights have a wipe-able inside and the SWW have cloth inside.  These worked for our son until he was much bigger than the posted weight range, and he was big around the waist, so they were a good value for us.

Amyread.gifsewmachine.gif - married to my best friend bikenew.gif and mom to DS jog.gif  born September, 2011.

winner.jpg    nocirc.gif    femalesling.GIF    familybed1.gif    cd.gif

Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 PM

We had size small covers which worked okay-ish, but I didn't find the 3 cover scheme realistic because they got dirty when she pooped and she pooped a lot. 

Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 PM

I like Bummies wisper wraps and Super Brites (Their XS is premie tiny almost, average 7 lber is great in the small) I also love their new pull on.

Thirsties never wear as well for me with their thinner PUL.

Pro Wraps Newborn size are good too, but no laundry tabs and very cheap.

I would plan on more than three since they will get pooped on lots (4 would be nicer, two in the wash/drying, one on, one to air/spare)

I would also make a few more flats (I love receiving blanket flats), for 18 total, in case you have a real pooper, want to stretch washing a little, or like me Bee, have a newborn who does not poop at night and hates having her diaper changed when she wants to go back to sleep, and need to double them up.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM

I highly recommend the Thirsties Duo Wraps. They have a double leg gusset which prevented a lot of leg-leakage for us; plus, they have an adjustable rise so they fit well from newborn until about 5 months (for me, anyway- and my baby was very average in size, born at 7 lbs 10 oz).

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List