Newborn Diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We didn't start clothe diapering with DD until she was about 5 or 6 months so I don't know much about diapering a newborn. Any tips, ideas, brands that worked great? We bought most of DDs diapers used from FB groups.  Also we wash Monday/Wed/Fri would you recommend a different schedule for new babies daipers or the same? How many should we stock up on? 

#2 of 4 Old 12-20-2012, 04:03 AM

Prefolds work great with newborns. Learn the jelly roll to contain the BF poo. If you want to spend more $$ I loved kissaluvs size 0 and cover. Thor one sized diapers just didn't fit until 10 lbs or so. Don't stress.
#3 of 4 Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 AM

Prefolds are the most popular newborn diaper because they are so inexpensive. They are pretty easy to find used, but with shipping, try to find them locally. Fitteds, and AIOs and the odd newborn size pockets are a little easier to get on and the fitteds keep more poop off the cover.

You can easily do the same MWF wash schedule, just have enough diapers for the weekend, probably 30 prefolds and 6 covers.

Rumparooz one size start working around 8 lb and Baby Kicks also start quite early, most others not until 10 lb.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 4 Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM

We used prefolds & covers and loved them.  One thing:  if you think you might have a smallish baby, consider splurging for the XS size dipes & covers.  My DD was 6 lbs 1 oz and even the Green Mountain Diaper XS prefolds (which I think were for up to 10 lbs) were HUGE on her at the beginning--I can't imagine trying to diaper her in a S size.  You can get covers that expand to fit multiple sizes of diapers (I like Thirsties duos and Sweetpea covers okay), or you can get really tiny covers that fit small babies better if you don't mind the extra cost (I liked my Thirsties covers the best, but at the very beginning we had a Bummis 6-8 lb XS cover that was the only thing that fit at all well).

I'd recommend getting a lot of diapers (we ended up with 3 dozen) because my DD pooed every time she breastfed, and HATED to be wet at all, so we went through a ton of diapers (we also line-dried).  But that's kind of dependent on the kid!  Still, you can use them later as doublers for overnight...

Good luck!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page