Replacing velcro - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their velcro (velcro-like) closures on their diapers? 

We have used our Bum Genius 3.0 diapers for 4 years straight between 2 babies and they are in good shape except for some of the tabs curling up.  Is there a way to get replacement material?  I'm hoping my sister who has a sewing machine will fix them for me.  Is there a service that would do something like this for me if not?

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#2 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 AM

Replacing velcro is a very easy job for anybody who owns a sewing machine. You can buy velcro at any fabric store or order it online. It's very cheap (like under $1 per yard, and a yard lasts for many diapers). It your sister won't do it I would ask around for other friends that own a sewing machine.

#3 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Go to www.cottonbabies.com.  If you purchased the BG new, you can get the Refresher Kits from them for free.  If you bought them used they kits only cost $1 per diaper.  Each kit contains new laundry tabs, the wing tabs and 3 elastic pieces and instructions on how to sew them. If you need to replace the landing strip across the front you will need to purchase that separately from a fabric store.  Each diaper needs about 9 inches. 

There are also WAHMs who will do the work for you but it costs between $3-5 per diaper.  Also, some of them will do conversions to snaps.  That is about the only reason I would send them to someone else as buying the stuff to do snaps isn't really cost effective unless you make a lot of diapers (or other things the use snaps).

#4 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome info!  Thanks so much!

We're not fans of snaps, so replacement velcro will be great!

#5 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLibrarian View Post

Go to www.cottonbabies.com.  If you purchased the BG new, you can get the Refresher Kits from them for free.  If you bought them used they kits only cost $1 per diaper.  Each kit contains new laundry tabs, the wing tabs and 3 elastic pieces and instructions on how to sew them. If you need to replace the landing strip across the front you will need to purchase that separately from a fabric store.  Each diaper needs about 9 inches. 

There are also WAHMs who will do the work for you but it costs between $3-5 per diaper.  Also, some of them will do conversions to snaps.  That is about the only reason I would send them to someone else as buying the stuff to do snaps isn't really cost effective unless you make a lot of diapers (or other things the use snaps).

I looked at the website and can't find the refresher kits.  Can you point me to it?

Do they give you the refresher kits only if you bought from them?  We did buy new, but not from them. You mean cottonbabies.com, not the BG company, right?

Thanks so much for the info!

#6 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a friend who did this and she said it was like slave labor and she wouldn't do it again.  Unfortunately, the elastic in my BG 1.0s had dry-rotted after 6 years, so I just had to throw them away...heartbreaking!!!! 

#7 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_mary View Post

I have a friend who did this and she said it was like slave labor and she wouldn't do it again.  Unfortunately, the elastic in my BG 1.0s had dry-rotted after 6 years, so I just had to throw them away...heartbreaking!!!! 

Wow, really?  It seems easy enough.  I'm just about to order 11. 

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page