Immediate diaper rash help needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ahhh!! My 3mo has had an on again off again rash for the past few weeks - I was reading last night and thought maybe it could be yeast (it had come back again) so I added a few drops of tea tree oil to her spray wipes solution. As of an hour ago she was completely hysterical, screaming in pain - her bottom is BRIGHT red, it looks so bad, I couldn't find a way to hold her without it hurting her. I nursed her to sleep finally. What can I do?  I think it's from the tto but man...I need something to help her NOW! help!!

#2 of 9 Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
More naked time. The skin needs to breathe.
#3 of 9 Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Agree with the air. A lot of time just rinsing with water and patting dry and then lots of time spent with no diaper and just air against the skin.

I would avoid the tea tree oil at this point but just in case someone else was interested in this, it is often sold concentrated and needs to be mixed with water and some kind of oil or moisturizer like olive oil or maybe mixed with vanocreme. A little goes a long way so just use very small amount mixed with water and oil.

If you still think it is yeast and it is very persistent even after lots of airing out, you could try lotrimin.

Poor baby. I hope you see rapid improvement and she is bettter soon.
#4 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM

Yeah.. essential oils are highly irritating when used neatly. I don't think putting them on wipes is nearly enough to dilute the oil. I also agree with giving her skin time to breathe.

#5 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 PM

My newborn daughter had a terrible diaper rash for weeks, and no natural remedies, medicated diaper ointment or airing out would work.  We finally were told about Nyaderm cream and the rash was gone in two days as the rash was caused by yeast. I tried the natural way to get rid of the rash, but nothing worked. We got it from the pharmacist.  Hope this helps.

#6 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Use a hair dryer to dry her bum after gentle washing and leave hear with out a diaper as much as possible. Don't moisturize because it just traps the yeast and bacteria in the skin and lets it grow. If you need to put a diaper on her, change it after every pee and poo. You can help by cutting down on the the amount of sugar you eat (that's assuming she's breastfed). If you cloth diaper, then you need to wash in hot water and dry on high heat to kill the yeast (you can also add tea tree to the rinse cycle). If that isn't working try some zinc cream, and if that doesn't work get a prescription for an antifungal cream. 

#7 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM

It could also be a staph infection which needs to be treated by a DR. Hope its not and you can get her better. If it continues I would for sure take her in. Do several extra rinse cycles too. Sometimes my boy has lots of Amonnia build up and it gives him red butt. Good luck. 

#8 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM

Any rash that is going on longer than a week or is really worrying you needs to be checked by a medical someone. There are a few different kinds and they have very different treatments.

We have never had yeast, but several secondary staph infected rashes.

Once you know what it is you can treat the rash, and then the diapers if needed (yeast needs to be evicted from cds, how in part depends on your stash)

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#9 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 04:22 PM

i have a newborn and am breastfeeding. tried different brand diapers and found Luvs is the best (better than pampers or huggies). i dont use wipes, just use kleenex dipped in slightly warm water. was using desitin but he had a bad diaper rash, heres what worked.

bag balm! found at local pharmacies like rite aid, cvs, walgreens. it comes in a green metal tin. rash went away immediately. i smother it on (like icing on a cake, real thick) then i apply burt bees diaper rash. rash healed the same day!

fyi, i have limited my milk intake. i drink lots of juice which doesnt seem to bother him or create a worse rash.

i change his diaper often but i think what helps the most is the bag balm. please try bag balm asap! i feel so bad for all the suffering babies. hope it helps your little one like it helped ours, best of luck!!!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page