Diaper Service Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH is opposed to cloth diapering because of poop in the washer.  No matter what I say, it won't change his mind.  He thinks it gross and says he will buy another washer if I do decide to cloth diaper.  My MIL has offered to pay for a diaper service for the first year.  They will come to our house and pick them up weekly.  They come in increments of 10 (10 being the minimum).  How many diapers would you order per week for a newborn/infant?  For 40 diapers a week (5-6) per day it costs $19.25.  Does anyone know if that is cheaper then disposables?  If we end up not cloth diapering then we will use the organic/non chlorine ones.

Thanks!!

#2 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 PM

We used 80 a week per baby. (rule of thumb is 12 a day for newborns) Check your source for disposables to see how much it will cost for the same number of disposables. The service itself may have some numbers for you.

#3 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Most diaper services charge only a little more for more diapers. Plan on 10-12 a day for a newborn. 

Also baby = poop on everything in time, so there will be poop in the washer. Cloth diapers and their real elastic in the back keep it in, where my experience of disposables was very leaky/explosive.

You will still need to wash your covers. I recommend 6 covers to start (4 minimum). I love Bummies Super Brites best of all, with the note their newborn is more a preemie size.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM

For disposable prices Babycheapskate.com has a cost per diaper calculator, but you can get a rough guess looking at Amazon and Diapers.com.

Assume 10-12 diapers for a newborn.

6-8 for an baby older than 4 months.

As they use fewer diapers, they get bigger, there are fewer diapers in the pack and thus they are more expensive.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page