Buying for the next size up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3mo is growing out of her yellow edge GMD prefolds and size 1 Bummis prefolds and I need to buy something bigger. I had originally thought I would get the sizes up... red edge, size 2... but these ones I have now got so rough and pilly so fast! Everything you read says "gets softer over time! softer with each wash!" and these are the total opposite. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with my washing or if it's just this particular fabric. It is SO rough, almost canvas-y. My old prefolds from 5 years ago are just fine, nice and soft, don't remember what brand they are. I talked to GMD and they said they didn't have any other complaints. So, I am worried about spending more money on more prefolds that might get rough too. I would like something nice and soft for babe's bottom! What is everyone's experience with PFs - do you know of a brand that stays soft? or should I look elsewhere for something like fancy cotton velour fitteds?

#2 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

And I suppose the other question to ask here is, what could I have done wrong in my washing to make these rough and pilly? I used Biokleen Free and Clear for some time, since have switched to Charlie's - I do a cold or warm light wash with a little detergent, then a hot wash with reg amount and extra rinse - then hot dry.

#3 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was able to go from yellow to brown gmd prefolds, skipping the red.
No help for the softness. I had the unbleached type and never had any roughness. I did a quick machine dry to fluff then line dried.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM

Charlies needs you to add a disinfectant at least ever couple of washes with cloth diapers. It could be part of the problem.

Rinse/pre wash first, it is truly icky the colour of that first rinse water coming out of the machine. warm does a better job.

wash in what ever temperature works for you. if you pre wash, you can probably skip the extra rinse.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#5 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't have good luck washing dipes with Charlie's.  Can't remember if softness was an issue, but I would try another detergent if I were you.

#6 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 PM

I had the Diaper Rite prefolds from diaper junction (I think they're Indian prefolds) and found that the next size up was outgrown in a wink. In retrospect I should have seen how quickly DD was gaining weight and known that I could probably skip a size and save a few bucks.

I also used mostly Charlie's with the occasional Biokleen free and clear to wash prefolds. Never used any disinfectant - unless the very occasional bit of vinegar in the rinse cycle counts? I actually rinsed poopy diapers before placing them in the laundry bag, then just washed with a single hot cycle. (I was using a coin op machine and trying to save money.) Always dried on hot. I never had problems with getting the diapers clean.

And the diapers are still nice and soft - not pilly or scratchy.

The only thing I can think of to suggest would be a final rinse with vinegar to help soften them up? That wouldn't help with the pilliness issue, though.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page