Help with BumGenius 4.0 Leaks (from multiple causes)! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 16-month-old daughter has been in BG 4.0's one-size since she was 12 weeks.  Until recently we loved her diapers and rarely had problems. But in the last 2 months we have had major problems with leaking.  I think that these are caused by a few different things, but I just want to see if I am missing anything.

(1) I discovered that our babysitter was using A&D ointment on DD (got switched with our cloth-diaper-safe cream).  And this caused major, major buildup on a few diapers.  I stripped all of the diapers with dawn twice.  For the ones that I could still see the cream, I scrubbed with dawn and a toothbrush.  Then when I could still see the cream I broke down and treated those with a stain stick that is supposed to remove grease.  Those diapers look better, but I'm not sure if the problem is resolved.

(2) We have always used Charlies on our CDs, but I noticed that there was some detergent buildup recently.  After stripping the diapers and still having problems, we switched to BG brand detergent.

(3) DD is really thinning out since she is running and moving all the time.  The leg holes used to be tight on her chunky thighs, but now sometimes there are gaps.  We are back on the smallest rise, and I am considering replacing or tightening all of the elastic.  We have always dried our covers in the dryer, so I'm not sure if that is contributing.

(4) DD seems to be peeing more as she gets older.  She was soaking her insert with every nap and at least 1-2 times overnight.  At night we always used a regular insert + a NB insert.  Then we started adding the NB inserts for nap time too.  Yesterday I started stuffing all of her diapers with the regular + NB inserts. 

We are not having leaking with every diaper any more (thank god!!).  But after all of this, she still leaked through a double stuffed diaper yesterday afternoon and one overnight.  In the afternoon it was at her leg hole, under the butt.  At night it was on her belly (she sleeps predominantly on her belly). 

I have scoured the forums, youtube, google, everything, and I don't know what else to do (besides replace the elastic).  I really need these diapers to last, especially since I have another baby on the way.  And I hate to have to pack extra clothes for the sitter and every time I leave the house.

Does anyone have any suggestions??  Am I missing something??

Thanks!!!

#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM

Around the same age we started having leaks at night. So I ended up using disposables for a while.... Still a had few leaks but at least not every night. Mine is 22 months so now she has more bladder control and they are dry in the morning so we go potty right away. That seems to help. Also we have noticed the looser leg holes. But I don't want to change them out right now cause we have another on the way and I would like ds1 to be completely potty trained soon. Not sure if this was helpful.
#3 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Totally following this post. We're having the same problems (my DD is almost two years old), it started a few months ago. I tried everything I could to strip the build up. From using tide, to changing detergents, running different cycles with different amounts of water - and nothing seemed to help. 

Please let me know if you find anything that works! We're having leaks EVERY night.

#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Are the inserts getting soaked?
Have you bleached? BG recommends 1/4 cup of bleach monthly.

Boiling the inserts for ten minutes really gets everything out.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I bleach occasionally (would probably equal out to 1x/month).

Now that I stripped and stripped and stripped the dipes, the inserts are getting soaked each time.

I think that the main problem is that the elastics are worn down.  I bought some new BGs to increase my stash this weekend, and I compared the leg holes.  The new ones are definitely tighter than my old ones.  So I am going to try to set aside some time to replace the elastics on all of them.

Double stuffing the diapers with a NB insert and a regular insert has really helped.  This weekend, we only had one leak during the day and it was the fullest pee diaper ever.  I bought some hemp inserts and doublers that I am going to experiment with.  Also, I temporarily switched to disposables at night :(  I hate doing it, but my baby's sleep is getting really disrupted.  Once I fix the daytime problems, we will go back to BG's at night.

Thanks for the comments!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page