making my own diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have a pattern i want to use, but now i need some ideas for fabrics... what works best? i am making fitted diapers if that helps. thank you.

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#2 of 4 Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 PM

If its on the frugal side you need to be, you can't go wrong with adorable thrifted flannel sheets. :)

If in general what is the best diapering cloth to use, absolutely my favoritest cloth ever is bamboo fleece that is sold at Natures Fabric. That stuff feels like a sweatshirt made of pure heaven...It dyes adorable also. Absorbant. All natural. Organic. Don't lay an egg at the price - worth every penny.

And for a beautiful cover you can't beat the wool interlock there.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

THANKS! ok so another quick question...i am planning on doing conture diapers (no elastic and i can pin them) if you have made diapers, would i want multiple layers of the bamboo or have that be the stuff that touches baby's bum and them maybe a hemp/cotton terry on the inside and then the wool on the outside? and can i wash the wool interlock in a washing machine? thanks

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Oh...Let me think.

There is a washable wool interlock on the site. You'll have to look under the wool fabric. I have washed my wool in a washing machine and hung to dry, but I did not buy the 'feltable' interlock. Its a 95 percent wool and 5 percent spandex blend. From 1 yard I made a pair of pants that should fit her until she's 2 (made at 4 months old) because the stuff is super stretchy and I made the rise and legs so they could roll down/up..and I made a regular old wool cover. Have enough left over for ribbing on felted cashmere sweater covers.

Costs $36 for a yard, but I'm telling you as a total cheapie - that it was worth every penny and I'm trying to justify more. Love it.

There may be other places that sell it, but I havent found it...so please dont think I'm being an advertisement for Natures fabric. haha

As for the bamboo fleece..hmm. I'm not really sure having never tried it that way but I think it would be a lovely combo. I have used a sherpa/bamboo fleece like that on some mama cloth and I really liked it.

Hope I helped :)

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page