What you wish "they" had told you about cloth diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting ready to volunteer by giving a talk about the hows and whys of cloth diapering.

I am looking for things you wish you had been told about cloth diapering that just wasn't covered.

For example...I wish some had told me how much Velcro sucks, and different ways to strip diapers.

Thank you.

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#2 of 29 Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM

I wish someone would have told me that even though cloth is cooler(temperature) than disposables..  it still gets very humid, especially if you're using PUL.

I wish someone would have told me that commercial, or big business-owned diaper makers are NOT always better, and that it's much easier to make everything myself, OR give WAHM diapers/covers a shot!! They DO know how to make them! It is NOT some secret formula that only those businesses with a lot of money have. 

I wish someone would have told me that just because reusable is better for the earth, that does not mean the companies are.

I wish someone would've said diapers don't *need* to cost so much to be super-absorbent ...that doublers and layers can be your very best friend.

I wish someone would've told me having many are convenient...but the stank if they hang around for too long because it's not time to wash them all yet sure isn't convenient...lol

mum4vr likes this.
#3 of 29 Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM

I wish someone would have told me you need a different wash routine than the rest of your clothes. I honestly had no idea you had to wash them any differently than my other clothes at first :-x

Also, don't go crazy on one brand/type of diaper, shop around, pick up a variety, and buy more to add to your stash based on what works for your baby. What works great with one family could be another family's disaster.

mum4vr likes this.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#4 of 29 Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I knew more about wool covers and using natural diapering materials vs. man made ones. I love the idea of organic fitted prefolds with wool covers.
mum4vr likes this.
#5 of 29 Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I wish somebody had told me how easy it is to find second hand diapers for cheap, and that flat diapers are by far the most versatile, customisable and easy to clean.

#6 of 29 Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Yes! I too, wish someone had told me how easy it was to find good, cheap 2nd hand diapers.

I wish someone had told me that pockets were silly, and that I could just use a prefold or an insert on top of the pocket and reuse the cover instead of using a new one each time.

I wish someone had told me not to put my covers in the dryer. 

I wish someone had told me not to use diaper rash cream on their butts when I had a cloth diaper on them.

I wish someone had told me not to use vinegar and hot water together. From all the research Ive done, combined with my experience and several friend's experience, vinegar is terrible for PUL if you have hard water. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 29 Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM

I wish someone had told me that velcro isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not even for the newborn stage, cause baby often falls asleep during feeding but also sometimes poops at the same time. Doing a quiet diaper change is impossible with velcro when it makes that loud "riiiiiipppp!" sound, snaps are much easier and quieter. Plus you don't need that much adjustability anyway when the baby is pretty much staying still anyway!

I wish someone had told me that inexpensive, made in China pocket diapers can really be awesome. I listened to too many people who said "you get what you pay for" when later it turned out that I like Alvababy and Kawaii much better than BumGenius!

I wish someone had told me that (like the above poster) you can get great prices on used diapers on Craigslist *as long as* you know what you're shopping for and how much those items are worth. I got great deals on quality used fitted diapers and love them. But I've also seen people post very over-priced diapers for what they are.

#8 of 29 Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Here is what I learned with diapering 10 years ago and NOW:

1.Wool covers are awesome. Grovia makes a lanolin spray thats super!

2. Flats get really clean and are versitile. You can use them as inserts in pockets, doublers, blankets, bibs, napkins,ou can hand wash if you have to, and dry VERY quickly etc etc

3. Prefolds are great to and cheap

4. Those ONE SIZE diapers more than likely  wont fit your newborn.

5. AIO are fantastic for daycare, grandparents and outings. I like them because I dont have to deal with an insert or covers and there is very little learning curve.

6. You need to size up for your onesies and pants.

rachelsmama and mum4vr like this.
#9 of 29 Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 AM

I wish I had known about ammonia build-up. We had to stop using them soon after my daughter was 18 months because she started getting awful nappy rash. It turns out that it was most likely due to ammonia build-up.

#10 of 29 Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 AM

Bump..
#11 of 29 Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Never buy anything with velco. It wears out too easily. Snaps are much better.

#12 of 29 Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM

I wish someone had told me how easy and doable wool covers are - they seemed intimidating at first! And the sizing up for clothes. None of the cute newborn clothes I got fit because of the fluffy cloth diaper butt.

mum4vr likes this.
#13 of 29 Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM

1. Sometimes cloth diaper formulated detergent isn't better than good ol' Tide. Just because it's sold as cloth-diaper friendly doesn't mean it will automatically work for you and your own washer. Trial and error is key until you find what wash method works best for you.

2. Just because pins and flats are considered "old school", doesn't mean they are lame or less effective that more "modern" cloth diaper solutions. They are still around for a good reason!

2.  One we can probably all relate to (mamaprovides, I doubt you will want to mention this one at your talk, lol): The need to buy more cloth diapers will always tug at your heartstrings, even if your stash is plentiful Every time you see a cute new print or discover a new brand that looks enticing, you will feel a very strong need to check your paypal account balance orngtongue.gif.

#14 of 29 Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!!!!!!

Please keep it coming!

(I am also not a fan of the Velcro...)

OH and what about washing secrets? What stuff about laundering diapers do you wish they had told you?

Thanks!

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#15 of 29 Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM

I wish someone told me that wool covers would leak if their clothing was too tight (ex. onsies).

That cloth diapers take MORE detergent, not LESS.  And my homemade stuff won't cut it.

I wish someone had told me that it was okay to switch to disposables due to PPD and that I wasn't a horrible mom for doing so.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#16 of 29 Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM

re PP:

ammonia doesn't mean you need to stop-- it's treatable!

my homemade detergent was one of the only cleaners that -did- cut it (please search for a thread dedicated to homemade detergents for CD-- lots of good suff over there.)

ITA-- get a variety at first; cotton under wool-- hurray!

I wish I'd been told:

no bleach soaking (some like it in the wash occasionally, but no soaking in it!) EVER!

vinegar in every rinse for cotton dipes (those little fabric-softener-release-balls work great for vinegar) to avoid buildup, whiten, & sanitize

everyone needs a few flats or at least PFs regardless of your fav, for backups, size ups, or "ach! ALL my awesome AOIs/ pockets/ fav dipes are still damp in the dryer & baby just peed on the LAST clean dipe!"

wool does not equal cotton-- you MUST follow the instructions for each! (ie wool-- warm-cool wash w lanolin cleanser; cotton-- HOT w detergent & vinegar rinse)

you don't need to fear pins if you slide your fingers between baby & the dipe (plus this help leave just enough "give" for a wiggley baby & it allows you to secure the flap you're pinning with your thumb)...

Ignore any naysayers; don't bother to reply; you'll likely never convince them; just ignore, smile & move on-- you know what's best for your DC.

I'll think on this & repost if any good ones are missed...

#17 of 29 Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM

A lot of people will give you their opinions on cloth, just laugh while they literally throw money away on sh*t orngtongue.gif. you can resale a cloth diaper that's been used, I don't think anyone would buy a used disposable..

When you find a wash routine, keep it! I've tried to be the "good cloth mom" and wash diapers how they suggest on packaging, other moms, etc. and sometimes it just doesn't work. Right now we're doing pretty good with 3 tbsp. of Rockin Green. My -typical- wash routine is cold prewash, hot wash with detergent, hot rinse, cold rinse. Every few washes I add 1/4 cup of vinegar in my prewash, and once a month I put 2 tbsp. of bleach with the prewash. I do have to change detergents every few months as well. Sometimes I use the cloth friendly, sometimes only good ol' bad detergent works for us lol

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#18 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Everyone told me how great prefolds and fitted with a cover and I thought they were "tricky" and didn't try them. I finally did for newborn and I loved them. Would have saved me money...

Vinegar = bad for PUL

I wish there were more positive threads on cloth diapering boards. For newbies it seems like everyone has issues. I have never had a single issue with my dipes that wasn't resolved with an extra rinse.

mum4vr likes this.
#19 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Everyone told me how great prefolds and fitted with a cover and I thought they were "tricky" and didn't try them. I finally did for newborn and I loved them. Would have saved me money...

Vinegar = bad for PUL

I wish there were more positive threads on cloth diapering boards. For newbies it seems like everyone has issues. I have never had a single issue with my dipes that wasn't resolved with an extra rinse.

Agreed. A lot of my friends refuse to try cloth diapering long term, or try it again if they tried it before because they had, or heard of experiences of diaper rashes with cloth, and none with disposables.. if there were more easily accessible info on how to treat this or prevent it in the first place..=\ Their popularity might exceed disposables more rapidly.

#20 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM

I wish somebody had told me about the uncomfortable gap created by the cloth diaper where the diaper ends on the baby's lower back.  Its over a 3/4" gap with no support and to a tiny baby it must be very uncomfortable because they are no longer level on their sleeping surface and that also would not be good for reflux.  I would not even be comfortable with that on my lower back.  Since that discovery I have never tried cloth again. I wasted about 40 bucks on the effort and now use the diapers to clean with.  I use disposables and considering I do laundry once every few weeks I have no shame in it.

#21 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demeter888 View Post

I wish somebody had told me about the uncomfortable gap created by the cloth diaper where the diaper ends on the baby's lower back.  Its over a 3/4" gap with no support and to a tiny baby it must be very uncomfortable because they are no longer level on their sleeping surface and that also would not be good for reflux.  I would not even be comfortable with that on my lower back.  Since that discovery I have never tried cloth again. I wasted about 40 bucks on the effort and now use the diapers to clean with.  I use disposables and considering I do laundry once every few weeks I have no shame in it.

I'm honestly not sure what gap you mean! I have never noticed this gap.
#22 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM

I am surprised. I had the regular cloth diaper that is folded into three parts and then put in the diaper cover.  

#23 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1- that the phrase "cloth diaper safe detergent" means nothing. Just use what works.
2- additives can be your friend. They are not the enemy.
3- vinegar and detergent are not a good mix. Use vinegar in pre wash or rinse.
4- ammonia means you have bacteria left over in your diapers and that they aren't getting clean enough. It's. it normal and shouldn't happen if your diapers are getting clean!
5- if you are constantly having to strip your diapers, something is wrong with your wash routine.
6- detergent is a good thing when washing poop and pee. Use the full amount, not just a tiny bit.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#24 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

I'm honestly not sure what gap you mean! I have never noticed this gap.

If you picture a newborn lying on their back naked or in a disposable--their back is flat against the bed/surface. Then if you picture them in cloth, their lower back is off the ground because their tush is elevated by the giant cloth diaper butt--at least that is what I'm getting here. 

I wish someone had told me that it's not a big deal to start cloth diapering a little later on. I drove myself crazy trying to figure out cloth diapers really early on. I hadn't wanted to drop a ton of money on a newborn stash, and we didn't like using prefolds and covers, so we did disposables and I angsted about it. I wanted to do it right right away. But cloth diapering is NOT like breastfeeding! You can do it some or none at all and then do it more later and it's absolutely not a problem. Little one has been 95% cloth diapered since the age of about 2 months, but those first few weeks I was trying to make stuff work that wasn't going to work. 

#25 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:

I never had that issue. Not all cloth are bulky
#26 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Flats are fantastic on newborns, and make it pretty easy to avoid the gap.

#27 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I've never experienced this and LO was c/d since the womb. He has no trouble lying on his back. However, I am guess if you only "wasted 40 dollars" on your CD experience and can use them to clean you were using some lousy prefolds like Gerber?

#28 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM

A diaper trial is a great way to try different types of diapers.

#29 of 29 Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. If anyone wants to see my bullet points or pamphlet let me know.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page