Snappi friendly fabric - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I must be google impaired tonight, because I am not seeing this.  Can anyone give me the skinny on snappi friendly fabrics.  I plan on sewing some cheapy prefolds and want to use flannel, but I'm not sure flannel is snappi-able.

Thank you!

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#2 of 4 Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Flannel isn't very snappi friendly.  You can do it, but the teeth don't hold well. This is because the weave is too tight in the fabric for the teeth to get between.  Prefolds are traditionally made out of cotton Birdseye fabric and this is a perfect material for snappis and fairly cheap.  If you really want to use some flannel, you could make the prefolds out of it and make one layer of one side out of a snappi friendly fabric.  Other good fabrics for snappis to grab would be terry cloth or french terry (one side has loops, so put the loops where the snappi can grab).  These can be found in cotton or bamboo fairly easily on line.  They are much more expensive than Birdseye, but also thicker and more absorbent.  And, whatever you use, don't forget to prewash a couple times on hot to preshrink the fabric. If you want any info about where I get any of these fabrics, go ahead and send me a pm.  I'll see it and get you an answer faster that way. Happy diapering!  smile.gif

Amyread.gifsewmachine.gif - married to my best friend bikenew.gif and mom to DS jog.gif  born September, 2011.

winner.jpg    nocirc.gif    femalesling.GIF    familybed1.gif    cd.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much!

I'm doing this on the cheap, so I'm scouring thrift stores for fabric.  I'll keep my eyes out for terry cloth.  Again, thanks!

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#4 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Cheap terry cloth can be had in the form of washcloths or towels.  Sometimes old bathrobes are terry cloth.

This website has good information on cheap, Snappi-friendly diaper stashing.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page