rash challenge - bleach or no bleach? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm looking for help with a rash problem, which i was hoping was gone forever but has instead moved on to a new kid! Our 3 1/2 yr old, now using the potty :), had horrible diaper rashes that would result in open, sometimes bleeding, sores from the time he was an infant until he moved out of diapers last year. We tried everything - pockets, liners, a multitude of detergents, baking soda in the wash and vinegar in the rinse, Bac-Out. Every time, the rash would clear for a week, or a couple weeks if we were lucky, and then come back. The only thing that worked was using diapers cleaned by a diaper service. It happened that we moved for 6 months towards the end of his diapering from Missouri to Ohio. In OH, the service was fairly new and their diapers caused the exact same rash we had had from home washing back in MO. Weirdly, in OH, we could wash at home with Rockin' Green, baking soda in the wash, and vinegar in the rinse without any rashes. After a lot research, we figured out alkalinity was to blame, at least in OH. 

Now we're back in MO and have a new baby. I loved the service but would like to wash at home if i can. I rented some newborn diapers to test things out hoping that her skin would be less prone to rashes, and all went well until they had been through the wash at my house. New baby's 2 weeks old, and she's got a rash that looks a lot like the early stages of the one my son kept getting. 

The only thing I never did, which i know the MO service does do, was add chlorine bleach. I tried to stick with Bac-Out and the sun for disinfecting. Chlorine was also the major difference between the water in MO and OH. So, I'm wondering, do you use bleach? If so, how much, how often, and why? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 AM

We used to get rashes like that.  I will tell you some things I tried that helped.  Bleach about once a month, and instead of detergent, I would use dish soap like Dawn or similar to help get out the buildup (just on those washes that I used bleach.)  Water softener periodically.  Only liquid laundry detergent, because the buildup was worse with powder detergent.  Extra hot rinses also helped. 

Our problems seemed to come from a combination of hard water, and detergent buildup in the diapers.  I used bleach because it helped get the smell out when the diapers needed it, and it cut down on rashes.  I didn't want to at first, but for our situation, it was the best solution, and I tried many things. 

Does Bac out have enzymes?  I have read that products that have enzymes can cause rashes in some kids. 

Old 03-13-2013, 05:07 PM

We have a periodic rash problem too and I think I'm considering a bleach cycle to see if that helps. I routinely wash on very hot (I put the hose from the sink right into the washer bc my washer regulates even the hot setting) with a squirt of dawn. It seems to work, but it more costly for all the hot water. I use Charlie's soap. Maybe I should consider using Charlie's liquid instead of the powder.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List