Is my baby a funny shape re: prefolds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2004, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just me, or is the prefold not made to fit a baby!? I mean, I CAN and DO make it work, but it would be so much better if it was a little shorter and a little wider. I think Ava has a bigger tummy and shorter rise than the prefold is made for? Other than the infant, regular, premium sizes, does anyone made a prefold fit more for a rounder baby?

TIA!
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2004, 03:47 PM

You could try toddler, but they are pretty huge! They at least go around my son, which none of the others do.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:52 PM

I also had this problem, as did a few friends of mine. Toddler prefolds were too long and that created bulk, but we could barely get the premiums around the big belly. It was frustrating. Someone needs to make a new size.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:56 PM

I totally agree!! I use premium preflods alot and I wish they were shorter and wider. It seems like they are made to fit a starving toddler and not a chubby baby.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:57 PM

I'm in the same boat! My 7 month old heavy wetter is pretty thick around the middle, and the Premiums are a squeeeeeeze! They're fine with a bikini twist, but I can't get enough layers in the front with that fold, he pees through it in 15 seconds. With the newspaper type folds I get the bulk in front where he needs it, but I have to fan out the sides and that snappi is so stretched I'm afraid it's going to pop! But Toddlers are truly enormous...we should open up our own store! Buddha Bellies R Us...:rofl
Old 04-22-2004, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Dimples
we should open up our own store! Buddha Bellies R Us...:rofl
No kidding! Glad we're not the only one. Getting a premium around her tummy is getting really TOUGH but there's already too much bulk in length so a toddler would be HUGE. I was thinking about cutting one up into strips (the long way) and sewing them onto my premiums the short way, so give some extra wings. But I am a terrible seamstress and don't have a serger so I have a feeling it would be a big disaster. Trifolding in a wrap is getting more attractive but all of my soakers will be so sad! Plus a trifold is more bulky, imo.

Someone has got to be able to custom make them in a different size!

Lori
Old 04-22-2004, 04:09 PM

Same story with us! DD has been in the toddler size since 7 months. finally at 10 months we dont have to fold down the front. with the premiums we never could use a snappi. i wanted either a bigger snappi or a wider diaper!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Same problems with Sebastian, so we got the next size up but INDIAN!!! They are shorter than the chinese and work wonderfully!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:17 PM

Well, I prefer infant size on my 28 month old and 17 month old. :LOL It is so funny how different kids are! And my son is about 30 pounds!

Sorry...I wish I was more help!

Laura
Old 04-22-2004, 04:25 PM

I have the same problem, but I started laying my dipes sideways and then folding them, and that seems to work for us. It is kind of funny looking, but it works.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Same problem here. I had a premium on him, stretched as much as I could and he still had red marks on him.

I was thinking of trying a toddler, but now I'm not so sure. What size waists do your little Buddah's have? Connor is about a 21.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
Old 04-22-2004, 04:48 PM

I have the same problem. I found that if you use the bikini twist this is way worse!! I always use the news paper fold and get a lot more out of the width. I also splay out the front completely so teh edges are showing and there's enough room to snappi. I totally have this problem with clothes too. At six m ds is wearing 12m pants and shorts and they are a bit long on him but the waist is super tight. My poor chunky monkey.

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

Old 04-22-2004, 04:54 PM

Here is a page from Karen about trimming prefolds: http://kfegelman.home.comcast.net/trimming_pf.html
Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 PM

Same thing for us -- that is one of the reasons I gave up on CPFs (also becuase they were just too big of a pain for me). There was always WAY too much fabric in the front and not enough to meet on the sides.

I stopped buying/using them and have been much happier with other things. I loved contours for Maxi till he was about 6 months -- same concept, also inexpensive, no folding!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by polihaupt
Same problems with Sebastian, so we got the next size up but INDIAN!!! They are shorter than the chinese and work wonderfully!!!
hmm, thats a possibility...i got some prem siz indian an theyare even narrower than the cpf!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Summertime Mommy
I have the same problem, but I started laying my dipes sideways and then folding them, and that seems to work for us. It is kind of funny looking, but it works.
Can you post a pic of this? I'd love to see how it works!

Lori
Old 04-22-2004, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Max's Mami
Same thing for us -- that is one of the reasons I gave up on CPFs (also becuase they were just too big of a pain for me). There was always WAY too much fabric in the front and not enough to meet on the sides.

I stopped buying/using them and have been much happier with other things. I loved contours for Maxi till he was about 6 months -- same concept, also inexpensive, no folding!
Which contours do you like? I have a few (Kissaluvs, plushies, imse vimse) but don't love the fit or absorbancy of any of them.

Lori
Old 04-22-2004, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cj'smommy
Same problem here. I had a premium on him, stretched as much as I could and he still had red marks on him.

I was thinking of trying a toddler, but now I'm not so sure. What size waists do your little Buddah's have? Connor is about a 21.
I think Ava's is around 17.5.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jmofarrill
Here is a page from Karen about trimming prefolds: http://kfegelman.home.comcast.net/trimming_pf.html
if i am understanding it right, it would herlp with the length but the width wouls still be an issue, right?

User Tag List