Yeast infection and cloth diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DS is 6 weeks and we have been using disposable since birth.  The rash is still there, but almost gone, but I am having to still use an anti-fungal each diaper change.  I am hoping it goes away soon (it has been about 4 weeks).  

I was hoping to start using my cloth soon, but don't want to infect my diapers with yeast.  If I use a liner, do you know if it will protect my diapers?  Should I just wait until it is completely gone?  I am just frustrated that it is still hanging on.

Thanks

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Just thought I'd bump your post up for input. Anyone have advice to offer? 

#3 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, and congratulations on your new baby!

A liner would not be sufficient to protect your CDs, and since the CD-and-thrush cycle can be a real pain to deal with, I'd recommend waiting until the yeast is totally gone. I think 48 hours after very last symptom is the guideline?

Have you taken any systemic steps against the yeastie beasties? Your taking a good probiotic could be helpful to your baby.

Good luck!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#4 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Congratulations on your new baby Chloe'sMama!

If it were me, I would make the switch to cloth diapers, but I would recommend washing with vinegar. I wasn't in the exact situation you are describing, but I had a recurring yeast infections on my breasts, In my situation, as it turned out, there were a couple of things that made the problem worse:

--one was that the yeast was living on bras and cloth breast pads (I was breastfeeding and leaking, so I needed the pads) even through hot water washes. For that, adding white vinegar to the trick in terms of stopping the reinfection! (I also had to take medication to treat the infection that was there, but I'm not sure what the protocol on that would be for an infant.)

--another factor was that I was using paper pads sometimes and cloth pads other times. In addition to the yeast, my skin was irritated and breaking out from the paper pads (or more likely something in the paper pads), so my skin was broken out, irritated, and frequently moist from the cuts/irritations making a nice environment for the yeast to continue to thrive in. Switching to use all cotton pads helped my skin heal up and I think greatly contributed to getting over the yeast infection.

So, while I certainly don't think disposable diapers are the cause of your skin's rash, they might be irritated his skin and adding to the problem. That said, I understand your worry about switching to CD and then having a cycle of reinfections, so I'd suggest the white vinegar to prevent that.

I'm wishing you and your son the best and I'll be thinking of you. smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CDs are fine to use during a yeast rash. But they will get yeast blooms in them too and need to be treated for that in every wash for 2 days to a week after the rash has cleared. A liner is not enough protection.

25ish drops of grapefruit seed extract, 1/4 cup chlorine bleach, or vinegar in the rinse cycle of the main wash will all do the trick. Vinegar is hard on elastic and bleach has its own issues.

temperatures above 122º F will also kill yeast blooms, so the sanitize cycle is a great option for prefolds and inserts. Those temperatures though will kill the waterproofing on covers (which are usally fine anyways), pockets and AIOs.

Midwesterner04 likes this.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the tips.

I thought the yeast was gone (had no rash for 5 days) and now a few little pock marks are back... darn it. 

Can I use the GSE drops long term? I don't know when this rash is going to go away.  So bummed out.  I did get a diaper cream that says it will help kill yeast and is OK with cloth diapers. Anyone heard of Better Butt(er) Cream from Northern Essence?  I am hoping it will clear up the rash.

http://www.northernessence.com/catalog.php?category=24

All of my diapers are AIO or Pockets, so do I need to turn my hot water heater down?  Right now it is up to 130 to kill the yeast in my clothes and towels (We had/ have? thrush too)

It is pretty sunny here most days, will that kill any left over yeast?  (after the hot wash and GSE).  I also got BioKleen Oxygen Bleach Plus... can I use that too?

Thanks!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page