Recommendation Needed: High Efficiency Top Loader Washer for CDing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

We are moving into a new place and need to purchase a washer and dryer.  We want to get an HE washer to save water.  I have read that the best HE washers for cloth diapers are top loaders.  

I also have washable couch so the couch linens are bit cumbersome, so the larger the better.

Would you recommend your HE Top Load Washer?

Big thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 PM

I've washed many a cloth diaper and pads in a front loader with great success. Currently I have a top loader but I miss the front loader. When my machine goes i will be getting front loaders again

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#3 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM

I recently spent an angonizing 3 weeks without a washer. I spent an extra week researching washers.

I have the(top loader) Samsung wa5451an
I love it and it washes my diapers very well. Sometimes I have to put a (wet) towel in to get more water but I find after the first soak (quick wash) it is fine.
It was mid range when I bought it...I bet you could get it über cheaper.

If you are shorter than 62" you will need a step stool to reach the bottom.

I would not get a front loader...they stink after a while and how do get the water out when it breaks?

Good luck.

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#4 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to you both. I'll check out the Samsung washer.

Mamaprovides, do you think the drum is large enough to wash a comforter in too?

Organicviolin, what model front loader did you have success with? And what was your routine?
#5 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Hmmm...depends on the thickness and size. I have a couple of queen size quilts and those go in. I do know we can do all our blankets.

There are videos on YouTube about this washer...that will give you a good idea of the drum. (You also see the equal lg model go crazy and destroy laundry rooms)

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#6 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM

I love my maytag bravos XL from 4 years ago. Its HE and top loading.  It is pretty pricey though.   I bought it at home depot and used one of the no interest cc deals to pay it off over a year.    I can't stand not being able to add a sock or whatever at the beginning of a cycle with a front loader.  It doesn't have the agitator that comes up in the middle so it is good at washing big things without your washer getting unbalanced.   I've never washed CD's but I am getting ready to - there is a way to turn of the HE using the "bulky" cycle which is what I will try if the diapers aren't getting clean enough. 

Trying to adopt from foster care in Los Angeles.buddamomimg1.png

#7 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 PM

We had a ge. Not my favorite brand but it was reasonably priced. I would just throw the diapers and wet bag in, add detergent, vinegar to the bleach cycle and add an extra rinse. Worked a charm!

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#8 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Pooruglyhappy, thanks for the suggestion! Think we are going for a more thrifty HE washer...but I'll check it out too.

Organicviolin, thanks so much for sharing your successful routing with an HE washer!

I'm taking note. Think we will check them out at a Sears. I feel a little less blind hearing from all of you! Thanks.
#9 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Meant to share back once we bought a washer. We went with the maytag bravos XL. I love how much it can hold. Makes getting caught up on laundry so easy! And I can wash my couch linens, even pillows without any headaches.

Our dd was only wearing and peeing in diapers at night so I didn't get a good feel for the no. 2s but it cleaned the pee diapers pretty good. I did notice some soap build-up and by the time I stripped them dd was done with the nighttime diapers. The real test will be if we have another baby. Was just rereading the review here and will give the bulky feature a try on the future.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page