Should I take the deal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dad has offered to buy me a front loading HE washing machine, you know, the kind that cost like $1000! It sounds like a no brainer, but I had some reservations because I've heard a lot of people say that because they use less water that they are not good for washing diapers.

Also, I am overwhelmed by all the different brands and choices. My mom recommended Maytag because she said they are made in the USA and she has always had success with that brand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM

I've always washed my cloth diapers in a front loading HE washer. I've never had any problems.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had less problems with my front loader than I do with my he water saving top loader.....

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM

I would definitely look around and choose one which allows for having lots of water in the wash load-and however you like to do your routine. Also look for versatility in temperature setting and cycles, and a separate rinse/spin option, along with extra rinse are also good to have.

My dad sells appliances, and says that anymore, there really isn't a stand out brand for quality among the typical long-running brands (Maytag/Whirlpool/Frigidaire, etc.) He does tend to recommend Samsung appliances when any of us buy anything, but always stresses to buy the extended warranty/service plan, because no appliances are made to or expected to hold up more than a few years anymore. 

If you have the room to accommodate it, if you currently have a top loader that works for you, I would consider hanging onto it until you see how the diapers do in a front loader.  I've heard of more than one person hanging onto or buying a cheap, old top loader to keep around for washing diapers, even when they have a front loader because there can be issues. Of course, that's not always practical if you're tight on space in the laundry room.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreckledmama View Post

If you have the room to accommodate it, if you currently have a top loader that works for you, I would consider hanging onto it until you see how the diapers do in a front loader.  I've heard of more than one person hanging onto or buying a cheap, old top loader to keep around for washing diapers, even when they have a front loader because there can be issues. Of course, that's not always practical if you're tight on space in the laundry room.

yeahthat.gif 

Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely could not fit 2 washing machines, lol.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM

With my first experience in cloth (which was 7yrs ago, mind you), I had stink issues with both an HE front loader and a top loader.  I'm now back to an HE front loader, and hope my second go round (in a few months) goes better.  I would personally take the deal (it's not like it happens everyday!), but just make sure that whatever you get has all the options you want/need. 

Heather belly.gif,  Jesus Lovin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Noah(9) & Jonah(7), and expecting rainbow1284.gifPatricia Carrylrainbow1284.gif on 8/23/13!!

Heavenly babies: ribbonpb.gif14wks 10/28/04 and stillborn baby at 17wks 10/18/11ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 PM

If you don't have any issues with your current washer, I personally wouldn't mess with it. We got a new dryer (HE style) but didn't get the matching washer cause there's nothing wrong with our top loader and I don't want to cause problems with the wash routine.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 AM

I think it's only a problem if you have hard water. The combo of not using enough water and hard water makes it tough to get them clean.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List