plastic-free diaper pail? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-05-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I are expecting our first this summer, and we want to start cloth diapering right away. One of the many reasons we've chosen to cloth diaper is to expose our baby to less synthetic materials, so we're starting off with cotton prefolds and fitteds and wool covers. I'm now looking into options for a diaper pail sort of thing - my first thought was a wicker basket with a lid, and a simple cotton liner (like an old pillowcase or laundry bag.) I'm not completely stubborn about being plastic-free with the diaper pail, but if this seems like a workable system, I'd prefer it. (I did look at metal trash cans with the step-lid, but they seem a bit pricey.) Would this work? I'm planning on washing diapers at least every other day. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Diapers are wet, heavy, and poopy. Containment is important. I use a PUL lined bag with a zipper that hangs from a bookshelf, its Planet Wise. I have two so while one is getting washed the other is in use. Wicker will mildew and rot eventually even if you have a cotton liner and get smelly, and could damage your cotton diapers.  A metal trash can is expensive and will need to be hosed out. I used a plastic bucket with lid and liner which i found annyoing. To many componets. Also Ive discovered that even with PUL if its sitting on something or on the floor there can be wetness that seeps through. Wet bags can be reused for a multitude of things when your done diapering. Good LUCK!

#3 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agree with pp, you want something that will not absorb odor or wetness. If you wash everyother day you might be able to get away without a lid.

I started off with a wet bag hanging from a closet door knob. The knob broke within 4m, was a brand new knob!

I would have concerns with metal containers making rust marks on the diapers

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 13 Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

These are really good points - thanks so much! You can tell that I don't have much experience with baby poop to date. Peace.gif I think I'll get two wet bags/pail liners with the PUL and put them in a simple plastic trash can with a lid; we can experiment leaving the lid off and having it on, and I can also try hanging the bag to see what works. Thanks again!

#5 of 13 Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are going to use a plastic can/pail you don't need a liner. A periodic rinse is all it will normally need.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 13 Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I also think that the metal would rust.  The ammonia can be pretty hard on metal.

#7 of 13 Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM

I use a PUL wet bag in a tall wicker basket that was my grandmother's. It looks much nicer than a plastic garbage bin, and the PUL protects it from getting damp or smelly! I got two wet bags so that one is in use while the other is in the wash.

#8 of 13 Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM

I used a stainless steal garbage can with a flip in spring loaded lid. Looked great too :)

#9 of 13 Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM

I use a stainless steel step can with lid and it has a plastic bin inside...like your typical stainless trash can does. I put a big Planetwise wet bag inside the plastic bin, just like you would with a trash bag. I have 2 of the wet bags so I always have one to put in the bin when I'm washing diapers. It works fabulously and contains liquids and most smells wonderfully.
#10 of 13 Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Also, I when I'm loading the washer I just empty the wet bag inside out into the washer and don't have to touch a single poopy diaper!
#11 of 13 Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 PM

No that probably won't work... You'll have a bad mess fast but if you just buy a large wool diaper bag with a drawstring you could put it in a wicket basket or whatever you want. Babee greens makes them as do various other people... If they don't make the size you want email them they may custom design a bag or maybe blue cloud on etsy ... Check around get a thick jersey knit wool... Very easy to care for this is I believe what you want don't store soiled diapers in anything that doesn't protect itself from moisture and stink :-/ and you'll be just fine
#12 of 13 Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Or a slightly open pul bag or similar wont hurt you wink1.gif it would also be less expensive
#13 of 13 Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Just did some re-thinking on my original post and realized that I had never checked into the possible lead content of the vintage diaper pails. Just checked, so I'm retracting the suggestion.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page