Newborn gmd fitted stash&possible disposables - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have written so many posts during my pregnancy & gotten so much helpful feedback,but i cant remember it. I get the feel of it,but not details. I am going to start writing down what i need. I am thinking of GMD newborn fitted, maybe snapless, unbleached? I really dont know the difference but snapless sounded longer lasting& unbleached for softness&stains? Ok, then how many to get if i do only these. I have about a dozen prefolds too which I want to use as back up or doublers, but am not a good folder &worried about leaks. I read 20 changes a day/night, meaning 24hrs? So if i use them all up in 24hrs, then i would need to wash first thing in the morning & have enough for until they are clean which might take a while. So i guess thats 24hrs + 12hrs just to be sure? Would i need 30? I am so lost, this feels so complicated. But i am writing it down this time so i can budget smile.gif. And then how long will theyfit? I thought 3 months but read maybe only 6weeks or 2months? Maybe its too hard to guess. I am just wanting to compare price to a disposable, which i think i will need for a few weeks anyway. It sounds like Tushies might be good, havent looked into it yet ( or at least i dont remember much , so frustrating.) Because then i am needing to think of buying the gmd small fitted , how many& when&how long will it fit, unless i get a onesize. Am i right that once i switch to small or onesize , which i think is at the same time-ish ,about 12lbs, around or maybe before 3 months, that i will then need much less diapers? That is the point where i may get more prefolds for day, fitted for night. I am thinking out loud here b/c i need help. I wish i could get a sense on my own but i have no one at all in my life to ask. I research enough, i guess i need reassurance. Does my plan sound right? 30 newborn fitted size, then maybe less for the next more expensive size? I think Tushies were 50$week so i guess the fitted will still be worth it if they only fit a short time ..Am i thinking this clearly? I just started realizing i need doublers too so any insight about where those fit it would be awesome. That makes me wonder if a prefold inside a Tushie would help or if that only becomes an issue as we outgrow the newborn size. I am afriad i will always want to add one, just in case, is that okay? Oh, i need to start another thread on my attempt at bed sharing&leaks...And this time i am making final desicions so thank you everyone who has helped, i wish i could remember all your tips off the top of my head, i hope i become familiar with this stuff as i get experience with my REAL baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can only plan so much. Babies are unique.
Since you aren't sure, I would start small. 24-36 diapers ,4-6 covers total if you have easy access to a washer/dryer.
If you will use some disposible you could probably get away with 18-24. While you assess.
I never needed a doubler

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

So maybe 18-24 because i might not need 18 per day? How to acess with enough time for washing routine? And this is only for newborn size? Or it might be same for small? I just found out Tushies isnt available anymore, not sure whether to forget about disposables or if there is another eqivilant thats non irritating..
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've always maintained a stash of 24 diapers and 3-6 covers. I wash every 2-3days and often line dry.
My kids were never heavy wetters, though they did poop multi times a day. I've been a sahm with a very flexible schedule so I could wash as needed.
Sizing is often crazy. Don't buy ahead. Babies grow at such different rates. I could use gmd yellow prefolds from birth till 10m. On the flip of that, my baby potty trained 1m after I bought sz L covers. You just never know

Especially with newborns you can always grab a hand towel in an emergency

I bought some disposibles for travel and emergencies. Always kept some in each car. I rarely used them and gave them away to friends and family.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 05-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Like the PP said, you can only plan so far ahead. Researching cloth, especially prefolds is a VERY daunting task! So this is what we did, just to give you an idea...

I bought 1 dozen preemie sized prefolds and 2 dozen infant sized prefolds. I bought two packs of Snappis because I did not want to use pins. I used 4 covers.  When my daughter grew out of preemie sized prefolds, I used those as extra absorbency. 

I did laundry about every other day for the first month. 

Aside from  the pack of diapers we got at the hospital and a small pack I had bought, we didn't use disposables. Using prefolds on a newborn is easier than on a bigger child because they are easier to pack and take up less space. I know though that some families prefer using 'sposies while out. 

How long a diaper fits is dependent on the child. Your kiddo may grow out of the smaller sizes quickly or they may grow more slowly. I wouldn't buy too far in advanced though. :-)

ETA: There are organic type disposables on the market. I know Seventh Generations are a good one. So if you were looking for organic disposbales I would try Googling around.  

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List