advice needed for newborn stash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok! My husband and I are expecting our first baby this summer, and we definitely want to cloth diaper right from the start. We've decided to go with cotton diapers and wool covers, as we want to use all-natural fibers on our baby. I've been reading past threads on this topic, but I was just getting confused, so I decided to start my own. smile.gif Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Specifically, my questions are:

1. How many diapers? I've heard three dozen mentioned as a good number. (I would like to wash every other day, but I realize newborns are poop and pee factories, so it might need to be more often.)

2. Which diapers? (styles and brands) Many recommend fitteds, others say prefolds. Ideally maybe some of both? I'm interested in GMD Workhorse fitteds because they seem like a great value.

3. What size for covers? I'm thinking six covers, three soakers and three wraps. My understanding is that the wraps really need to fit snugly, but maybe we can size up the soakers. I'd like that, since I know newborns grow so quickly.

4. Which soakers/wraps can you recommend?

5. Are there any tricks to preventing "compression leaks" when wearing baby or on car trips? We're planning on taking it pretty easy in those early weeks; this is more for future knowledge!

6. When does newborn poop stop being newborn poop?! I feel so silly asking this question, but is the really runny stuff something I'll be dealing with for six months, (I'm planning on breastfeeding exclusively for at least that long,) or what?

Other things to note: We certainly hope to welcome more children in the future, so I don't have a problem with building a quality newborn stash, but I also don't really want a bazillion tiny dipes I can't use after three weeks. I am also planning on putting many of my diapering supplies on my registry; come to think of it, it might be good to gather some non-newborn things ahead of time, so what should I do about that?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 of 9 Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Hi! Congrats on your soon too be arrival! 

1. How many diapers? I've heard three dozen mentioned as a good number. (I would like to wash every other day, but I realize newborns are poop and pee factories, so it might need to be more often.)

We had 1 dozen preemie sized prefolds and 2 dozen infant sized prefolds.  The preemie sized were nice because they fit my DD well during that scrawny newborn phase when they have little chicken legs!

2. Which diapers? (styles and brands) Many recommend fitteds, others say prefolds. Ideally maybe some of both? I'm interested in GMD Workhorse fitteds because they seem like a great value.

I went to a local "boutique" here in Minnesota that sold cloth. I bought unbleached Indian prefolds. I bought through them up until I had to get the toddler size, then I went to GMD. I like both. I like shopping locally & supporting local business but GMD are a good sturdy diaper too that I would recommend. 

3. What size for covers? I'm thinking six covers, three soakers and three wraps. My understanding is that the wraps really need to fit snugly, but maybe we can size up the soakers. I'd like that, since I know newborns grow so quickly.

We bought 4 Size One Thirsties Duo covers. They lasted from my DD from newborn until she was about 7 months. I know it's recommend to have 3-6 covers and I did have times where I was on my LAST cover and it was like, "Please don't poop everywhere til laundry is done!" That was more my fault though! 

4. Which soakers/wraps can you recommend?

no help there sorry!

5. Are there any tricks to preventing "compression leaks" when wearing baby or on car trips? We're planning on taking it pretty easy in those early weeks; this is more for future knowledge

can't help there either. We just stick the diaper on and go!

6. When does newborn poop stop being newborn poop?! I feel so silly asking this question, but is the really runny stuff something I'll be dealing with for six months, (I'm planning on breastfeeding exclusively for at least that long,) or what?

Well...IDK how it was for other families but for us we dealt with "newborn" poop until solids started, so about 8 months for us, around that time it was like half soft/half log like. It did stop being so liquidy around 4 ish months I think? But it was still soft, not log/turd like. Ugh does any of that make sense? LOL it's been so long that my memory is fuzzy on poop before solids! I did breastfeed exclusively too. I have heard formula poop is different. 

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#3 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 AM

We went with mostly fitted diapers, I got a stash of used newborn fitteds by Mother Ease on our local craigslist (they were about half the price of new and only used for a couple of months on one baby so in great shape). I found these to contain everything brilliantly. There were 20 fitteds and 3 wrap covers - I would have liked a few more fitteds but found we usually had one unused cover on wash day as the diapers didn't let any poop out. If you're using prefolds you would want more covers to account for poop escape. wink1.gif I think with about 30 diapers we would have been all set and DH wouldn't have to wash as often.

We also got 6 AIOs but I found them to not contain that well so they were our "in case of not-enough-diapers emergency" diapers. I'm thinking for the next baby to try out the Lil' Joeys AIOs (or a version of them) as the double gussets are supposed to work well.

I don't think compression leaks are really an issue with natural fibre diapers and PUL covers so I'd probably stick with those when carrying/driving as I hear wool, while generally great, can have issues with wicking there. And though it's all a bit of a blur I'd also say newborn poop till they get a significant amount of solids (even though we used formula for most of the time rather than breastmilk). Once the solids were noticeable I'd definitely recommend a diaper sprayer, we still use ours daily at over 2 years old and it really helps keep diapers less stained.

#4 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Bump
#5 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Just a hint winky.gif... most people "cheat" with disposables every once in a while... in the car or at night.... because cloth needs to be changed every hour or so in the beginning, in case you need a break or want to let your baby sleep a little longer, you might want to keep some disposables on hand. 

There will always be people who tell you that they never once used a disposable, which is admirable and they probably saved a lot of money... but there is no prize at the end (other than the few bucks you may have saved lol), and sometimes it's not worth your sanity. 

#6 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

Just a hint winky.gif ... most people "cheat" with disposables every once in a while... in the car or at night.... because cloth needs to be changed every hour or so in the beginning, in case you need a break or want to let your baby sleep a little longer, you might want to keep some disposables on hand. 
There will always be people who tell you that they never once used a disposable, which is admirable and they probably saved a lot of money... but there is no prize at the end (other than the few bucks you may have saved lol), and sometimes it's not worth your sanity. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

Just a hint winky.gif ... most people "cheat" with disposables every once in a while... in the car or at night.... because cloth needs to be changed every hour or so in the beginning, in case you need a break or want to let your baby sleep a little longer, you might want to keep some disposables on hand. 
Escaping-can you recommend how to choose a disposable? I read so much about the gels in them sticking to bums& blowout, I want to find the right one. (&I need to get back to you about my crib thread soon. )
#7 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 AM

I've only tried huggies and pampers. Both were equally good at holding in the pee but the pampers seem "roomier" so I prefer those. Swaddlers I think are the newborn equivalent to the Cruisers, which are the ones I like, but everyone's baby is different.
Wait! I lied, I've tried a store brand which I got as a gift in the form of a diaper cake (not sure what brand) and the Costco brand which are a knockoff of huggies. They were decent too.
I didn't find newborn diapers to be as horrifying as people claimed it was going to be (maybe my son is just weird? Lol) but there were no blowouts or any weird poop incidents, so pretty much any diaper will do until you get the hang of things.
I heard about the gel burns too but the gel doesn't seem to have any effect on my son's skin. Sometime I find little gel bits on his bum and at first I freaked out but now I'm not as worried.
There is really no secret to choosing disposable diapers because companies are not obligated to publish the ingredients so you just have to go with what works/fits the best.
#8 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM

If i do buy sposies (when kid gets sick with nasty POO) I get the unbleached kind Earths best? or what ever whole foods had OR the 'greener' ones from Huggies... Ive found when baby is sick and already on real food diahreea stink is so nasty and takes a jillion washes, bleach and sunning to get un funkified. Sposies have saved my sanity during those few times of illness. Trust me. It can get gross. Also if baby is vomiting on top of that its just less laundry.

#9 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that is great advice, Monkey pants! Thanks to all for your help!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page