Swim Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the scoop? I have a four month old who will need swim diapers for vacation and I haven't the slightest clue what to do. We CD with a mix of bum genius 4.0, freetimes, and flips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

We just bought a finis swim diaper for our little on instead of the disposables.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM

You can use a cloth diaper cover (generally a size too small) as a swim diaper. Or you can get little waterproof speedos (that will hold in the poop).

Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chlorine in pools can be really rough on covers.
If you plan to do a lot of pool swimming I suggest either using a diaper cover you don't like or are about to outgrow. Swim diapers aren't waterproof just designed to contain solid poop

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 AM

I was just on vacation and had great luck with Huggies Little Swimmers. They're washable in the washing machine just like cloth swim diapers but cost about 25 cents. 

I tried a cloth swim diaper but it didn't fit my son terribly well. When it got wet, the bottom kind of sagged and started rubbing his thighs when he walked (not so much a problem with a 4 month old lol) 

Swim diapers are just meant to keep poop in, not not pee (otherwise they'd absorb 20lbs of pool water), so whatever you MacGyver together to accomplish that task will work smile.gif

One trick I would suggest though, get long sleeved, long legged UV swimwear with a collar and a bucket hat. Even when they're old enough for sunscreen, it's such a pain in the butt to pin them down and make sure you cover everything. Just having to do hands and feet makes it so much easier. 

Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I was just on vacation and had great luck with Huggies Little Swimmers. They're washable in the washing machine just like cloth swim diapers but cost about 25 cents. 

I tried a cloth swim diaper but it didn't fit my son terribly well. When it got wet, the bottom kind of sagged and started rubbing his thighs when he walked (not so much a problem with a 4 month old lol) 

Swim diapers are just meant to keep poop in, not not pee (otherwise they'd absorb 20lbs of pool water), so whatever you MacGyver together to accomplish that task will work smile.gif

One trick I would suggest though, get long sleeved, long legged UV swimwear with a collar and a bucket hat. Even when they're old enough for sunscreen, it's such a pain in the butt to pin them down and make sure you cover everything. Just having to do hands and feet makes it so much easier. 

Did you have to buy a whole pack of Huggies or just one? 

That is inexpensive for one .

Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM

The smallest pack I think they have for size Small is 10 or 12.... but they're for kids 16-26lbs so you'll probably be able to use them even next year. You can often find coupons for $2-$3 off and if you catch them on sale they end up being really inexpensive.  

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Some pools require (and some sell) disposable swim diapers, some require reusable ones, and some require layering one on top of the other. If it's the ocean, I'd suggest just taking the baby bare-butted (unless you have one who consistently poops in the bath), or with a swim coverul.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Great info! Thanks so much!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing...since cloth swim diapers have mesh vents, does runny BF poo leak out? That would be mortifying.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM

I would imagine it would... The cloth ones don't have as tight of a fit, I found. Just feed a lot of bananas the night before, that's how I avoid poop disasters smile.gif
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM

I would imagine it would... The cloth ones don't have as tight of a fit, I found. Just feed a lot of bananas the night before, that's how I avoid poop disasters smile.gif
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Look for a speedo type cloth swim diaper with a good fit at the legs

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM

We used the iPlay swim diaper last summer and my DD has outgrown that one. I liked it, plan on buying again, and would recommend.

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 PM

We just used the shell of a pocket diaper that I didn't like particularly well. It was always the last one I'd grab so I figured it was no loss if it got damaged by the pool water. And I just didn't put the absorbent insert it, worked great! It was one of those "one size" pockets so I just adjusted it to be tighter (since it was too loose with no insert on the regular setting). We did this for all last summer, through swimming classes and other trips to the pool (under DD's bathing suit).

It was a cheap pocket from Alva for like $5: http://alvababy.com/

Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 PM

Duplicate post

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List