Wanting to start using cloth wipes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been CDing since my DD was about 5months, she just turned 1 and I was thinking that because washing the diaps (Best Bottoms) is super easy I might give cloth wipes a try.  It does always seem a shame to run the machine for a few days worth of diaps when it's hardly full.

We are trying really hard to curb our budget so that I won't have to go back to work next January so saving a few pennies would be great but it also seems nicer to give her little bum more of a complete wash that just a rub with a wipe out of a packet.

I read through this post... http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2010/03/wipes-are-waste.html and the lady sprays a solution of water, baby soap, baby oil and olive oil on the little butt and then wipes.  Sounds great but I'm not sure my LO would enjoy getting sprayed suddenly down there and I usually lay a towel on her mat which would probably get soaked.  also not sure that this mixture would work out any cheaper than me buying wipes.

If you pre-soak your wipes what kind of container and solution do you use?  I probably won't be able to get the same brands as in the US so I would be looking for something home made.  If the solution is diluted with water does it go off after a while and smell?

Obviously to save cash I want to make the wipes myself, so I thought about asking my MIL for an old flannel sheet and stitching around the edge, would this do?  Is it better to make it double layered?

I can get a packet of wipes for 1euro (80 wipes).  My DD EC's 'most' of the time for poops plus she eats a ton of solids so it's not particularly messy if it's in her diaper so I don't use a huge amount of wipes there but often they dry out over night and in the morning I end up throwing the first one away because it's not wet enough.

Any tips or links to blogs etc welcome, thank you!

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#2 of 21 Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Plain water on a washcloth works fine. 

We are using a spray now and baby doesn't seem bothered by it, but it is not necessary.

#3 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Oh that's good to know.  I thought about a mixture of water and oil in a bottle, I like the way that the wipes leave a sort of balm on her butt but I'm not sure if I use baby oil if it will be good for the diapes?

#4 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 02:46 AM

I prefer to take that cleaning mixture, put it into a spray bottle, and use that to clean tushies.

#5 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Water on wash cloth.
I use either baby wash cloths or thin regular sized. If you get ones too thick it is harder to clean in the cracks and crevices.

I just run them under the tap as needed. This way you can also warm them up a bit.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 AM

I use thin baby washcloths when my kiddos are EBF and then switch to thicker, terry cloth baby washcloths when they start eating solids. And I just keep a few in a small container or water near my diaper changing area. Used to use a special homemade solution in bottles and such but eh, I'm too busy now wink1.gif Water works perfectly!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#7 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I use cut-up old t-shirts. No hemming needed.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#8 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I will try just water to begin with.

Using T-shirts is a good idea too but I just had a big clean out and sent everything off to goodwill happytears.gif

I thought it was cool that that blog showed how to fold them up so that they would pull out of a tissue or wipe box, I think I still have one somewhere.

Now just waiting eagerly for MIL to bring the sheets.

DH had to change a poopy diaper and he used like a million wipes so I will be glad when I have cloth!

#9 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Especially with poop, you want something with grabbing power. Tshirts and sheets not that great. Terry is so much nicer. Though for just a rinse, t shirt is fine

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM

We used t-shirt wipes with DD1 and liked them o.k., but this time I thought I'd try sweatshirt wipes, since the back side has more nap to it and they're more absorbent.  Love them!  and no hemming.  I also like the little baby wash cloths, and they're pretty cheap, but they're a bit bigger than I'd like.  We just use water, but I'll put a little tea tree oil in it if I'm going to pack the wipes in the diaper bag, since they get mildewy after a while.  We go through them so fast at home that they don't have time to mildew. 

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#11 of 21 Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM

We use just water too. I wouldn't make it complicated, you don't need to. I used to put a little bit of baby wash in a spray bottle with water but found it unnecessary and just go with water now. I don't spray it directly on DD's bum, rather I take the wipe and spray half of it a few times. I use the wet half to wipe, then the dry half to dry, and put a new diaper on. It is so rare that I need more than one wipe for even a messy poopy diaper, I would guess it's been at least 6 months since that's happened. And even if you need to use more at least you are not wasting money.

I have regular flannel that my mom cut into squares and rolled/sewed the edges. It's just one layer and works plenty fine. I fold them in half and just keep them in a stack beside DD's diapers in a drawer.

#12 of 21 Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 PM

Yeah, water and regular, single-layer jersey or flannel have always been just fine for me. I even got through one kid with a set made out of unhemmed flannel which somehow didn't unravel much at all. The 1% of the time that water and cloth aren't sufficient, it's generally time for a bath anyways.

#13 of 21 Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 PM

What about if you use the spray bottle &its too cool, if you dont want to go to the tap every time? Also, i heard you might need distilled water not tap? Or witch hazel as recommened by GMD..? I am obsessed with the idea of warmth, thinking of airconditioning air being cold or just being disturbing to baby in cooler temps. Do some just not mind? Is it just a little wetness? I am looking into wipe warmer or thermos of warm water methods, anyone do that? Maybe this is off topic, whoops smile.gif
#14 of 21 Old 05-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Absolutely no need for distilled water. Yes, you can put plain water in a spray bottle if you want. Cool water is fine and doesn't seem to bother them. Never had a wipe warmer.

#15 of 21 Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 AM

We tried washcloths, terry/flannel jobbies, BumGenius brand flannel wipes, and cut-up T-shirt squares. We tried water and a couple different oil-water mixes. We tried a spray bottle and soaking. Nothing worked well for us. Eventually we gave up and now use disposable wipes. :) There are many options for cloth wipes, but it is also okay if you try them and they are not for you. I am not saying this to discourage you, but only because I personally have a tendency to latch on to "I want to do X" and then feel bad about myself if I can't get it to work. I want to be encouraging to others who have the same problem as me, that it is okay if cloth wipes don't work for them like they didn't work for me. 

#16 of 21 Old 05-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Some warm water and a tiny squirt of dr. Bronners works. I sometimes use those little soap bits made for wipes or EO. Not hard.
#17 of 21 Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM

We used a wipes warmer until it warmed up this spring.  It's nice when you're changing at night and don't want to wake baby up too much.  But not necessary.  Distilled water is definitely not necessary.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#18 of 21 Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Distilled water can help things stay fresh if you want them to last longer - eg. if you want to make pre-wet wipes that will sit in a diaper bag, or a big batch of wipe solution. If it will be used within a few days, there's no benefit to using distilled water (that I'm aware of!).

#19 of 21 Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM

I have a two year old and cloth diapered for most of the last 2 years with some disposables for traveling. We are attempting to potty train slowly and using some disposable pull-ups but still use our cloth wipes! We had old flannel sheets serged the edges and all ready to go. Just wet them with water. So much better that disposable wipes. One of our wipes for a mess and sometimes 4 disposable wipes are needed for the same mess. 

Good luck

#20 of 21 Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

We just use water out of the faucet. In a pinch I use my water glass that is nearby to get the wipe wet.. I generally change on the bed with a waterproof mat underneath.

#21 of 21 Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up about distilled water everyone smile.gif. I have been thinking- do the wipes just go into the diaper pail, as is? They arent too poopy ? I guess maybe not right away with an infant?

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page