Prepping CDs for the next baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have acquired a nice stash for DD who I started CDing around 3 months. Personally, a newborn in cloth is a bit daunting and I'd rather wait a month or two before starting up. Just a personal preference. The constant changes alone in the beginning are going to be difficult because I'm CDing without my OWN washer/dryer. I'll be using a nearby coin-op in our complex. I even might hang dry in the backyard to save $$$. We will see.

I have about a 2 dozen indian prefolds, about 6-8 chinese prefolds, flip covers, a few AIO and one-size pocket dipes (Grovia, Bottom Bumpers, Fuzzy Buns, etc) with lots of different inserts. My favorites are plain old indian prefolds with flip covers and bottom bumpers pocket diapers. So, I have a good variety.

They are all pretty stained and dingy ESPECIALLY the prefolds. We used them a lot with DD while potty learning, so it was mostly to absorb messes from the floor.

Can you give me your tried and tested stain removal/stripping/sunning/bleaching techniques so I can get these dipes ready for a new baby? I am hoping to stick with mostly common and inexpensive products I can get at Target/Walmart. I'm not looking to spend a bunch on special soaps/solutions at specialty baby stores but am willing to buy stuff online. I've heard bac-out is really good-- if there is a way I can make my own, even more awesome!

I want everything nice and fresh for my #2, who just so happens to be a girl! I'm quite happy about being able to use this lot of diapers again!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For stripping I just use a squirt of Dawn dish soap, the blue kind and then I run them through a bunch of times. Hot wash/double cold rinse. I line dry em and leave me out for about two days. Never had an issue. 

For washing I do a cold rinse, then a hot wash with All Free & Clear, and a double cold rinse. I know some people say not to use All F&C but I have never had a problem so that's what I use. I line dry in the summer and toss em in the dryer in the winter. I do run the prefolds and inserts through a ten minute dryer cycle after the sun just to get the stiffness out of them. 

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sunning should get most of the stains out. Run the dipes through the wash then hang them in a nice sunny place. Like pp said, you may want to pop them in the dryer for a bit to soften them. Some people do bleach their dipes so you may want to look into that.

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List