swim diaper help! Charlie Banana XL discontinued! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-03-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I am a mother to a 22 month old little boy who is nowhere near potty training.  We are completely new to CD, i.e. we haven't even started yet.  I plan to CD the next one (due early Oct), and am hoping DS will go along with transitioning to cloth and that it might even help with potty training.

In the meantime, it's pool season, and I want to start using reusable swim diapers.  Mostly because I am so sick of wasting the disposable ones!!!  They don't keep pee in, and he never (knock on wood) has pooped in the pool (or tub, for that matter, thank goodness!!)  So, really it's a just in case sort of thing, and it's not a very eco-friendly or cost-friendly one.  Especially since he is so wriggly during diaper changes now, that half the time I rip the flimsy swim dipe before it's even on him, and that is just a complete waste of money/resources. 

So, all that being said, after much research and review reading, it seemed like Charlie Banana's reusable swim diaper/training pant was the best option.  I was so excited to find them at Target yesterday, and then I saw the sizes they had.  S, M, that's it.  :( Oh no!  I read the sizing chart and it said DS juuuuust falls in the XL category, as he is about 30 lbs and L only goes up to 27 lbs.  So I started looking online....searched for hrs.  Can't find XL gender neutral or boys print anywhere.  They are discontinued.  Sigh.  Back to the drawing board.

Anyone have any ideas?  Something similar?  I have heard bad things about most of these diapers either totally not keeping any pee in at all (which I might be able to tolerate) and/or completely chafing legs on bigger kiddos or velcro tabs leaving scratchy red marks on abdomen.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks mamas!

#2 of 5 Old 06-04-2013, 07:23 PM

I LOVE our monkey doodlez swim diapers! They are basically like a sturdier swimsuit bottom and I simply use them instead of DD's swimsuit bottoms. They are easy on/off pull up style, with strong elastic and fit for a long while. Last year DD had the blue one with a puffer fish on the bum and this year a yellow one with a turtle. Love, love, love them. Never had any issues, they wash well, hold up nicely and don't wear out. Hth

http://www.monkeydoodlez.com/proddetail.php?prod=PullUpSwimDiapers
#3 of 5 Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Swim diapers aren't going to keep the pee in. I love the Charlie Banana (you might experiment to see if the L will work for you, we're using them and we would be in the XL size range) But while swimming, the pee will get out. We can often manage to change them as training pants and keep the same trousers, but even there sometimes the trousers need changing because the pee gets out.

You wouldn't want a child swimming in something that both had enough padding to keep in the pee and somehow sealed so well that water couldn't get in and pee couldn't get out.

#4 of 5 Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Rinap, I totally feel you on that. That I can tolerate, but I'm more worried about big enough size and comfortability, and from what I've read online, it's hard to find those in a swim diaper...and some of the reviews even spoke of leaking poo into the pool, ack!! That would really suck. I might try a Charlie banana large and see how it fits, and keep it for lil brother if it doesn't fit.

Skycheattraffic, thanks for the recommendation, I am totally going to try one of those out!
#5 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 11:07 PM

There is no swim diaper that keeps pee out.  Not even the disposables.  They aren't meant to, just poop. 

We have always used Imse Vimse.  I love them, and they have big big sizes. 

XLarge (24-30.5 lbs)

Super Large (28+ lbs)

Junior (35-44 lbs)

They look a lot like Charlie Banana. 

Also, Gymboree has swim trunks with built in swim diaper.  They are super cute and you can get long sleeve rashguard to go with them. 
You would probably need the 18-24 mo or the 2t. They are all on big sale right now, too. 

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page