Need recommended WOOL covers & sizes over Motherease diapers, what fits?Wool chat welcome - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to know what fits over this diaper brand. If u can tell me whichdiaper u have, XS Sandys, S Sandys, MEOS, L Sandys and what brand cover& size fits, even how well you like it or not&why?

I am especially interested in what makes it work, like doublers underneat h because it sounds like there can be a great variation in thickness ofr day and night wool covers. In my searching I have found that pull on soakers sound good
, Disana, Kissas, Aristocrats
and maybe those just go with the corresponding size. I was thinking depending on the diaper underneaths size, like XS vs OneSize or Small that a pull on could be baggy? I don't know, I just wish it was easier to know the sizes for things.

Then I found Imse Vimse Bumpy. It also sounded like those may be corresponding sizes, regardless of which diaper underneath? I just want proof from someone who's done it. Also, that was one with "day" & "night"( i think), which brings up a whole set of new questions of what that means...And is this one REALLY machine washable?

And LanaCare? They had day&night too. These two(Lana&Imse) seem higher quality?=more bullet proof? They sound thicker, or felted& more full coverage like the Motherease diapers.

One site actually that sell ME diapers and sells Lana wool covers sounded like it went one size up-so for XS Sandys =small wool cover, S Sandys=medium.cover, then L=L, but not sure where MEOS fits in, maybe depending on babys size?
Then for their Ruskovilla covers the sizes were XS sandys+S sandys= size 60( small?)
So it seems I need to ask about every one or just buy those recommendations, but I wanted to see what else is out there or just how people like those brands vs others.

Maybe I need to contanct the sellers &ask if it fits over what but if they don't sell ME I dont understand how i am supposed to know.

I hope i am on the right track.
#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

More researching...i get so unbelievably discouraged when i read something negative about the problem i am trying to solve. Lanacare sounds maybe not so great b/c its so delicate , much more than aristocrat & shrinks very easy so can be hard to wash needing very cold water? I feel like giving up, my brain just doesnt get this. I wish i didnt need to ask for help or start so many threads, but most of the time i end up so confused i dont know what to do so i develop my trust in "figuring it out". I just cant spend more time on this with the wool. I want to get XS sandys that wool will go with and hopefully stick with that. I want to start with one or two. And, ones that say night wool sound maybe longer to dry? One person said Imse.Vimse.was.too.stiff, but maybe her diapers werent as puffy as Sandys? I liked the machine washable idea even though.i will use.Charlies soap & am.confused about using other soaps in the machine that.wool needs. I guess i could wash with Charlies if i try Imse, then wool wash with lanolin by hand? I have read for 8months of my pregnancy & now i feel like i know nothing sometimes. Then, i think is.Imse really best? Will a more coverage cover with little legs like Kissas or Disana cover more.area of.the little baby body? Oh geez.... Just try one of each right?
#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Ok, first - *breathe* smile.gif hug.gif

Don't over-think this too much.  I would say, yes - try a couple to start and see how you like them.  For what it's worth, handwashing wool is extremely easy - just a capful of Eucalan (or similar lanolin-preserving wool wash) in a sink/tub of lukewarm water.  Swish and soak.  For poop, I've had great luck with scrubbing with a bar of olive oil soap (like Kiss My Face). thumb.gif  So I wouldn't get hung up on needing machine-washable wool.  That wool is chemical treated and washing in the machine may still wear it out faster. 

I have one machine washable cover, and I just hand wash it, always.  That one is a Nikky (very affordable at ~$25, great gussets, similar in material to Imse Vimse).  It is a lighter weight wool (2 layers), so I typically use it for daytime. However - if you keep your wool decently lanolized, you can use either for night (just might need an extra insert in the dipe to be safe).  I've used it at night lots of times with no problems. One less thing to worry over. winky.gif  

Ok, to get to your question - we have a Sandy's (large) and a Motherease one size (on large setting).  I've been using these on my now 2 year old since he was a super huge, giant chunker 9 month old (lol).  I typically load them up with 2 or 3 inserts, and sometimes one in between diaper and cover (for my super soaker). I bought the Nikky cover in XL, and my other favorite cover, the Organic Caboose, also in XL.  I'm not 100% certain if it's the Lite or the Plush, but I'd guess the latter.  We have two, and these are my go-to for night (even with a 2 year old). thumbsup.gif

If i wasn't stuffing those diapers so full, a L in either cover would be PLENTY big.  As it is, the XL size (in both) is still a bit too big, now that he's thinned out, but I just fasten it extra tight.  If I were you, I'd go with a L size with the L diapers.

Finally, we had an XL Kissa wool soaker that I loved & used nightly for months and months (probably nearly a year) before it suddenly stopped working.  I've repeatedly lanolized it, like I always did, and it's just not holding in the wetness like the fleece covers.  I should give it one more HUGE lanolization before giving up - like I said, worked great for a very long time, and soakers cover all the edges of the dipe, which generally improves leak protection (from wicking).

Wow, that was a ramble!  Hope it helps - if it makes no sense, feel free to ask. shy.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 PM

PS - you can get by perfectly fine with 2 wool covers for each size diaper - I did for a long time - but I find having 3 is easiest, because I can have one on hand for nighttime, one for daytime, and one extra (which I can lanolize and set out to dry and still be covered - or just have in case of a random poop mess, etc.).  

You can also try out a couple different brands in the smaller sizes, and see if you like them - then you'll know if you want to stick with the brand in a larger size or experiment later on. 

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#5 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM

As a long time diaper wool user here's what I reccommend you do. First of all don't worry you will love wool and you will be happy to use it. Second you will want to buy 2 wool covers in each size you will use... There are one size options that adjust that have snaps that are also good, just depends on what you want in that respect... And get one extra bigger wool that will be bulky off the bat if you don't do one size, you can use it through at least your first year at night and your other covers can air out, your baby won't notice... So overall for a year no more that 7 wool covers, maybe less. If the season agrees with long pants or you have ac you can always get longies so you don't have to put pants over the big night cover wink1.gif whatever works for you. Buy night wool if you don't mind the thickness... Which is how much absorbency you get it won't feel like a huge difference but will hold more making them obviously... Just more effective. There are so
Many great brands and they are all different! Ill get into that in a minute. I reccommend hand washing wool. Warm water a bottle of wool wash, a wool wash bar & a bottle of lanolin in a plastic dish tub and a towel... You'll put the water in the tub and a splash of wool wash in the tub, gently get the water through the fibers and then lay on the towel and squeeze out the water... Be gentle. Then repeat accept this time you'll add lanolin dissolved in the water, then once you e squeezed out all the water lay it to dry then repeat the next day when its dry, just the lanolin one then when its dry it should be ready to wear, after this first time you should be able to just wash out any soiling with your wool wash bar spot cleaning as needed and then every few days or as it gets smelly do a wash with a bit of wash and lanolin don't rinse then dry like I said... Do it inside out every time to prevent blotches. Just alternate them
Through the day as their soaked and hang to dry and they'll be fine for a few days just aired out... Unless they need wool wash bar help... Just do it ASAP and don't sweat it. Ok so types... Decide if you want a thick knit I reccommend double layer like a disana would be... Or if you want a more felted cover there are some options or jersey knit style wool... Like a babee greens... Snap or pull up? And long or short if pull up. Aristocrats are very durable you mentioned them... Their longies you could get over a year of use from I like them... Disana is our daily cover they're a bit delicate if you want to prevent felting but there's nothing wrong with felting honestly and they're bullet proof... Wool pretty much goes over whatever its usually more full cut so whatever you put in there usually works... I'm sort of going on about this but its really pretty basic... You'll be fine just look at the things you think look good and you'll see things about them and you can ask back... Tiny birds covers were machine washable... I think you can still get them at little spruce organics? Good luck and happy hunting buying wool is too fun
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Oh and sizing in numbers like 60 is European sizing and its centimeters in height of the child... A 60 cm child wears a size 60... Yes it's a small, rusk is amazing, lightweight and so comphy wink1.gif
#7 of 7 Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Didn't have a chance to read the other replys but:

We use sandies with a disana cover. I have so far only used that combo with large sandies/ medium disana. I love it! It seems so soft and squishy and comfy to the baby and hugable and squeezable for the mama. I love that the cover has no elastic. It is very full coverage and leak proof. On a little baby I would think it would be really nice that that disana is roomy and easy to pull up and down. We used imse vimse in xs and small and really liked them with snappied prefolds but I would think the sandies might be a little wide in the crotch to fit inside? Didn't try it myself though. For me fitteds go with pull on covers and longies and wraps go with prefolds or contours.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page