Ammonia Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been using the brown edge GMD prefolds on DS for about 6 months. In the past month, the diaper pail has started to smell very strong after just a day. His morning diaper smells VERY strong of ammonia too. He has also been more prone to getting rashes which has never been a problem before. My diapers smell clean after being washed, but we have been stuck using a HE front loader for the past several months and I feel like it just doesn't clean as well. We do a pre-rinse and hot wash with extra rinse. We use Charlie's Soap. Can anybody tell me what I should do to remove the strong ammonia smell from my diapers??? I would really appreciate it!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My night time diapers are pretty foul too. The cloth diaper store here said to rinse out the night time diaper with water in the morning. Im too lazy.... But I dont have a front loader and if i did I might rinse just because those machines use less water. Also she recomends a few Tbls of Bleach in the wash and extra rinseing. Bleach and extra rinses usually takes care of it for me. This all started when my baby became a toddler and puts out more pee pee. If you can Sun your diapers that helps a ton. Dont know where you live but its getting HOT here and that makes for a more stinky bag/pail. I could go 3-4 days in the winter without washing but now its just too warm and was every other day.

Hope this helps!! 

#3 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM

This is a textbook example of diapers that need to be stripped: http://www.litegreenliving.com/stripping-cloth-diapers

Because they only smell foul after he pees this means its due to detergent buildup. The link i gave should help you strip them and then do what you need to do to wash them properly--it sounds like your wash routine is good but you might have hard water or another issue so you might need to do something extra to help minimize detergent build-up.
#4 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you ladies! Especially for the link on stripping diapers. I guess I will be doing that! 

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#5 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM

I know its a bit of a chore. I had the same issue when my first was a baby. I read up on it and then washed the diapers without soap until all the suds were gone and that GREATLY improved the problem. Then i used a small amount of vinegar in the rinse cycle and i never had the problem again.
#6 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM

Sounds like you might need to strip detergent out of them... Rocking green makes a funk rock that is good... Try using less detergent and wash every 36 hours pail liner too... In the am pee will be more stinky... And more so as the child ages that alone is normal but the level of stinky could be due to a build up... As would the rashes... If you can carefully rinse them multiple times in good hot water without detergent that might do the trick then if not try the funk rock once and see but with a front loader like you know rinsing is key... You can also soak for a few hours in a bucket and really be sure they're soaked and see if your rinsing anything out of clean diapers

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page