What disinfectant do you use with Charile's Soap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What disinfectant do you use with Charlie's Soap for your diaper laundry? I am not regular with putting one in even though I know they recommend it, and while I usually rinse with some vinegar added, I think I need something more to help with buildup. I already regularly use very hot water after the first rinse, and regularly put in Dawn for residue. 

I've liked Grapefruit Seed Extract in the past and might try that again.  I also very occasionally use some bleach. What about you? Looking for some new options. Does anyone use peroxide regularly?  My mom uses peroxide and vinegar together as an apparently effective disinfectant to spray counters (and you do not store them together, they're in two spray bottles and react when combined to kill germs).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM

I use a tad of bleach every now and then. Sunning them also gets out funky smells and stains.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 AM

Bump
Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 AM

I don't use Charlie's Soap but I use Nature Clean and I literally never have to add anything to the wash, rinse...never. It just gets them clean. I have started to do a preventative cold wash with no detergent just in case but other than that, just hot was, extra rinse and my diapers smell perfect and look perfect!

Mama to Callahan 05/18/10 cold.gifteapot2.GIF
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Vinegar should be fine, we use it on the burn unit I used to work on to clean the showers in between patients. 

Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 AM

Which diapers?what fibers?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

What disinfectant do you use with Charlie's Soap for your diaper laundry? I am not regular with putting one in even though I know they recommend it, and while I usually rinse with some vinegar added, I think I need something more to help with buildup. I already regularly use very hot water after the first rinse, and regularly put in Dawn for residue. 

I've liked Grapefruit Seed Extract in the past and might try that again.  I also very occasionally use some bleach. What about you? Looking for some new options. Does anyone use peroxide regularly?  My mom uses peroxide and vinegar together as an apparently effective disinfectant to spray counters (and you do not store them together, they're in two spray bottles and react when combined to kill germs).

I am curious if what you did ended up working for you . And were you having trouble getting diapets clean? Is that what you mean by Build.up? I am venturing towards Charlies but scared it wont work and have disinfectant confusion among other things.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahansmama View Post

I don't use Charlie's Soap but I use Nature Clean and I literally never have to add anything to the wash, rinse...never. It just gets them clean. I have started to do a preventative cold wash with no detergent just in case but other than that, just hot was, extra rinse and my diapers smell perfect and look perfect!

What kind of Nature Clean soap do you use? What kind of diapers? I'm tired of stripping my fb pockets and would love to find a detergent that doesn't build up in them. 

Old 07-11-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by here we are View Post

I am curious if what you did ended up working for you . And were you having trouble getting diapets clean? Is that what you mean by Build.up? I am venturing towards Charlies but scared it wont work and have disinfectant confusion among other things.

I won't be able to answer for a little while, because my DD just potty trained and my new baby isn't coming for a few weeks, so I am off diaper laundry duty for a little while!  But, my plan is to use peroxide in the wash. I think part of the problem is the one kind of diaper that seems to be causing some rashes were used when I got them, used by my DS, and then used by my DD. So I think I have some heavier stripping to do. I am overall very happy with Charlie's and will keep using it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List