Getting gently used prefolds clean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought GMD yellow edge prefolds at a diaper swap. They look great except one that's stained. Should I just wash them with some extra detergent and some bleach and sun them to get ready for baby? A few extra rinses?? Hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 06:10 PM

You know, since they are used it might not be a bad idea to do that for all of them. Just in case! I bought most of my diapers used and washed and sunned them well before using them. My DS1 had a funny round rash on his bottom when he was a few months old and I was worried it was ringworm, which babies can apparently catch from used cloth diapers! The rash disappeared the next day but it taught me to clean my diapers carefully just in case smile.gif

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I washed them in Charlie's a dash of bleach and downy ball of vinegar. They smell like some ones else's detergent. I'm doing another hot wash with more vinegar no detergent. I'll put them on the line in the morning. Ringworm is icky!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 AM

I just did this with my used prefolds. I couldn't make it on here to ask, but i am so paranoid about it. I did bleach with Charlies,then another wash with oxyclean &Charlies, then BacOut&Charlies on a cycle with soak, then another no soap wash to get the hot rinse effect. Now I am waiting for sun. But I read on Autumn Becks recommendations than yeast spores could only be killed with grapefruit seed extract, not just bleach&sun.....what to think?? I am so nervous about this.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 AM

Then i am worried if i get a bad reaction i won't know it its the soap, or enzymes from bacout..i.just wanted bac out to work so i dont rely on bleach if i get paranoid about disinfecting. Just heard about adding borax too, as a milder disinfectant than oxyclean....Now i want vinegar but i read it was bad for yeast....I hope my panic isnt jumping into you. I am clueless, i hope my instinct is working.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Here we are you might have over done it with all the disinfecting. A tad of bleach and sun has always worked for me. You used a lot of products so you should do some rinses with just water. Vinegar DOES kill yeast and its a nice fabric softener. You don't want to do it every time it will wear away at the cotton. After I get these clean I might use bleach once or twice a month for maintenance. No panics here. Remain calm Here Web Are. Once baby comes and you get into routine it's pretty easy.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Something might be wrong with all those products not washing out? I think .the bleach cycle had extra rinse but was cold, yes it did..then at least one of the next couple cycles had cold extra rinse too, maybe they all did, the bacout cycle was just the only.one with a mini presoak, so then i ran thru a complete hot cycle with no soap as my extra ,"hot rinse cycle" which also did it's own cold.rinse....so, you think I should put them thru hot cycle again with nothing & check for soap/residues in rinse water ? Could i have done some damage? I thought since the cycles were separate that i would just be killing different germs..?...i just don't know...it doesnt look like sun anytime soon though. Did the dryer make things any worse by "setting " things stuck in there?
My brain is mush.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Don't worry. What ever bactiera/yeast that could have been lurking is most likely gone with all those products you used. wink1.gif i would do one hot wash with nothing just to make sure there is no residue. I would not stress yourself out by checking for bubbles or what have you. Toss me in the dryer. No biggie. I would NOT use all those things every time you wash diapers, Because will not have time to wash anything else that needs cleaning. Newborn bf baby poo is not toxic and doesn't even have to be dumped, rinsed, etc. just throw me in the wash with Charlie's and a downy ball of vinegar if you want. No need to bleach, bac out, etc all that much until they start solids. Even then I only bleach 1-2 times a month. UNLESS he has a stomach bug and things are super funky. Then bleach/rinse/sun more often. Also if its overcast where you are it can still help your diapers. Just FYI.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:02 AM

Monkeypants, do u mean i should put it all thru another no soap wash cycle with extra rinse? I did that after my 3 super duper disinfecting washes? All my months of researching gone to mushy brain:eyesroll

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List