Cloth Pull-ups - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm not in any rush for DS (not quite 2) to potty learn, but he has been asking to use the toilet more and more frequently and sometimes even goes!

I want him to be able to pull his pants up and down himself (and make it easier on me!) so I want to start using pull-ups when we're at home.

Right now he is using BumGenius AIOs and I like how absorbent they are. 

Does anyone have any recs for cloth pull-ups that are essentially cloth diapers but with the pull-up "features" of elastic side panels that can snap/velcro off in the event of poop?

#2 of 29 Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Why not just start the potty training? Seems like he is initiating the process which is wonderful. My son is 27 months and around 25 months we just started going bottomless so  getting to the potty would be easy and he could get out of diapers and away from the not seeing what his body was making and the comfort of the diaper. Then after about a week we started wearing shorts with no diapers and without a diaper it makes it really really easy for toddlers to pull their pants up and down. Now he yells pee and runs to the potty and can pull up and down on his pants/shorts. Good luck mama!!! I know you will figure it out though!

#3 of 29 Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Ummm... b/c he is only 22 months and I'm very cynical. LOL I have a really hard time believing he's going to just train and be done rather than going potty for awhile and then deciding it takes too long or regressing somehow. (He has some developmental delays/sensory issues, so him initiating this so early is a big shock.)

I'm also kind of lazy.... and overwhelmed right now. It just doesn't seem like it's a good time for him to go nakey butt around the house and have it not be stressful. Plus, we don't have three or four days in a row that we can just stay at home, which is what we did with DS1. So I guess I'm trying to make it go slower and more stress-free for me and for him, but I may try having some naked time when we are home. 

The other thing is that he wants to use the toilet when we are out too! Every time he sees a bathroom he wants to use it. So if he's in a pull-up while we're out (hence wanting it to be absorbent like a diaper) then I can oblige him more easily

#4 of 29 Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious about the cloth pullups too for going out with my current potty-trainer, however, I totally agree that if you can manage to carve out a little space soon to go wholehog, you might just be done!

My older kids trained EXACTLY like tracyamber described, at about 22 months. Very little regression after. My personal theory is to pounce when they show signs, and wonder if delaying because its not convienient or expected contributes to so many 3pluses still in diapers? It sounds like youre on a good path! Good luck!
#5 of 29 Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

LOL I was wondering that, too. Like I might miss my window of opportunity now and end up worrying that he's not going to make it into kindergarten b/c he's not trained.....

I'm doing my best right now to put him on the potty whenever he asks, and just deal with it. It's really hard to keep him off the furniture and only on the hard floor, so that's another consideration with naked time. This morning he started to pee while I was changing him, and I said, "Oh look, you're going pee-pee! Can you wait and go in the potty?" and he did! I figured by the time I noticed, it was too late and he was done, but I cleaned him up and he went and sat down and then peed a lot more. I'm so amazed. I keep hearing stories about people's kids doing stuff like this, and DS1 was just NOT that kid. It's so hard for me to imagine there are children this young who "get it." 

I think regardless I'm going to get at least a few trainers so that on the days we're out at his appointments it's easier to take him to the bathroom while we're out and about and not worry that he's having a big accident. Or maybe just keep lots of towels and clothes in the car.... Argh. I'm not ready for this. I need a plan! :D

Sage14 likes this.
#6 of 29 Old 07-12-2013, 07:06 AM

Oh hes doing so good! Yes during that (relatively short) period I never left home without a couple changes of pants, and travel potty in my trunk, and a towel on the carseat.
#7 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 AM

My two (DS 2 1/2 and DD 19 mos) will soon be potty training together... And I'm wondering about cloth pull up type things for outings as well. With two potty training at the same time it is going to be a must! Would love to hear if there is such a thing and if so which ones are good

-Laura

wife of Ben

mommy to DS Dade 10/10/10 & DD Elloree 12/14/11

TTC #3

goorganic.jpg   h20homebirth.gif   saynovax.gif   homeschool.gif   blogging.jpg

#8 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

I just wanted to chime in and second the suggestion of TracyAmber. My kids both were in underwear (or just pants) before age 2, and never used pull-ups. My son (5) wears disposable pull ups to sleep in for occasional sleep accidents, and daughter (23 months) wears fuzzi buns to sleep in. Otherwise, just regular undies for both kids during the day.

Are you a SAHM? I hear potty learning is more challenging if kids are not home or with parents. I never had any issues as a SAHM, other than the occasional accident in clothes or on the floor.
#9 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 PM

We have not yet started training, but I was undecided on cloth or disposable for diapers (we ended up in disposables), but have always wanted to go cloth for trainers as the disposables seem to be too much like a diaper to really be a help since they stay so dry. I know there are some that create a "sensation" when the child pees, but that has always worried me. Here's what I have found so far as options, though we're not quite searching yet (my girl is around 15 months).

http://www.amazon.com/GroVia-My-Choice-Trainer-Vanilla/dp/B006QYQGTS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1373743619&sr=8-7&keywords=cloth+pull+ups

http://www.amazon.com/Kissas-Waterproof-Pocket-Training-Pants/dp/B0053OSQK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373743619&sr=8-1&keywords=cloth+pull+ups

#10 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, all RIGHT! ;-)

Next week is a light-ish week so hopefully I can get a few days in a row of naked time. I'll see how it goes. Poor baby is hitting his "Terrible Twos" with a vengeance so I'm hoping it won't become a battle of wills. He is so textbook it's funny. DS1 was NEVER like this; I had no idea what people were talking about with the "Terrible Twos." He just skipped over them and became a terror at 3 instead. But by then, he was potty-trained.... LOL

#11 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Oh, all RIGHT! ;-)

Next week is a light-ish week so hopefully I can get a few days in a row of naked time. I'll see how it goes. Poor baby is hitting his "Terrible Twos" with a vengeance so I'm hoping it won't become a battle of wills. He is so textbook it's funny. DS1 was NEVER like this; I had no idea what people were talking about with the "Terrible Twos." He just skipped over them and became a terror at 3 instead. But by then, he was potty-trained.... LOL

Good for you mama..It is totally inconvenient,I know..........I was there. I kinda followed Jami Gowski's(sp?) method . She thinks it gets worse if we wait past 30 months so I was scared of the willfulness getting worse so I said"FINE!" ANd I am really glad we started when we did. If you need any tips you can pm too!!!

JenVose likes this.
#12 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I can't take the pressure! My BFF is telling me the same thing: "Just take his pants off and send him outside, for crying out loud!"

I think I'm afraid of regression, since DS1 just did it and was done. And it's too hot for him to spend much time outside... It's just bad timing to make it "easy" but if it's good timing for him, I guess we'll do it. He keeps telling me "No diaper!" and while I'm having a hard time believing it, he really might know what he's saying. So maybe we need to be shopping for undies instead....

ETA: OMG, the Blueberry training pants are SO cute!!!

#13 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Oh, and you could try the padded undies. Not sure who makes then natural, but Gerber makes some that are sold at Target, and baby box stores. They are cheap and just thick enough to catch a small accident.
#14 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

We used the padded undies with DS1. This one seemed like he pees a LOT at once, but apparently he just pees a lot. With no pants (yes, he's pantsless RIGHT NOW!) he's letting out 3 drops at a time! But no misses yet, b/c he's running to sit on the potty every 15 seconds. I'm not exaggerating. He's barely leaving the bathroom at this point, but he won't just sit and let it all out.

So it seems I was wrong about needing extra absorbent pull-ups! I'd still like some for when we're out, but it may not be worth the $$ for the few weeks we might need them. And I know the Gerbers are so nice and cheap, but I missed out on super cute cloth diapers (tried covers with DS1, they didn't work for him so we went to boring solid colored AIOs, which DS2 is now using) so I'm feeling this strange need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on cute padded undies. This is ridiculous, especially since he probably won't even need padded undies at the rate he's going!

#15 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Well, you could go with the cloth swim diapers (iPlay is the only brand I know of) that look like poofy undies are also sold at the box stores and whole foods. They are paddy and cutesy and absorbent and fun. They do take awhile to dry, though.

What about kid consignment?
#16 of 29 Old 07-13-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. I may try that. We have some swim diapers already (only one cute one, LOL) so maybe they're worth a try too. He's now wearing DS1's old Gerbers. The elastic in the waist is shot, but his legs are fat enough to hold them up anyway.

Once we were done playing/pottying, he refused a diaper, but I couldn't put him in his high chair for dinner like that, so I dug out the trainers. Fingers crossed he doesn't poop in them!

#17 of 29 Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Both my kids trained before two. My son decided he was going to start using the potty just before we left for vacation, not really my plan but I'm glad we went with it--I think kids are more open to learning before they hit the independant 2's. We used Imse Vimse cloth training pants when we were out in the early learning period. They don't really keep a kid dry (which I like), but they will keep them from peeing on someone else's floor. They have some padding and a waterproof inner layer/cloth outer layer. You will still need to change clothes. We continued to use them for nighttime for a long time after potty learning. Lasted through two kids and should still be in good shape for the third, so definitely worth the investment for us. They don't open on the side but it was never really a problem for us to get them off without making a mess.
#18 of 29 Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

OMG, THANK YOU all for the push I needed.... I am reading the book TracyAmber recommended (EXTRA THANKS) and he has been diaper-free during the day since Saturday night. He is doing GREAT. I'm not so sure about taking away diapers while we're out yet, but I don't have to leave the house again til tomorrow so we'll see how the rest of today goes.

So I still don't have a solid resolution to the super-absorbent pull-ups that will work for him (although I would have tried Antsy Pants or Super Undies most likely) but I also think I will have saved a lot of money I didn't have to spend and probably some aggravation too. Part of me really wants the naked-commando-underwear transition to work smoothly for him, part of me really wants him to "need" the trainers so I can get some cute ones that I'll probably overpay for. ;-)

#19 of 29 Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 AM

But think of the cute undies you can buy instead...hehe. I was just online looking at the cutest race car undies for my son. 

#20 of 29 Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

OMG, you know, you're right!

I couldn't buy cute undies for DS1 b/c he was SO skinny and small that there was literally only one choice (Hanes) that was small enough for him. And our local stores only had them in solids. LOL My poor boys will be DYING for boring white undies like everyone else has, and I'll still be trying to convince them that fire trucks and dinosaurs are COOL on underwear. When they're 12.

#21 of 29 Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Sounds like you no longer need pull ups, but FWIW we found the mother ease one size made decent pull ups, we could fasten them loose enough on DD that she could pull them up and down, plus of course easy unsnapping if needed. We used them without a cover so still needed a change of clothes but no puddle to deal with. We also had some pocket trainers which we used overnight, though again as DD was skinny we found pretty much any pocket we could fasten so she could pull it up & down. I think they might have been these, http://www.happyheiny.com/our-products/training-pants

I did keep a folded flat in the car seat for a while, I know you are not supposed to put anything in the car seat but felt since the week before they were wearing it I was happy.

#22 of 29 Old 07-15-2013, 12:02 PM

I really like the Charlie Banana swim diapers (with organic cotton padding) for waterproof and the iPlay trainers for waterproof only in the crotch (and more breathability).

#23 of 29 Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM

What is the name of the book? I was thinking about jumping in with my almost 2 yo DS.
#24 of 29 Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

It's called "Oh Crap Potty Training" by Jamie Glowacki. The basic premise is to have them naked from the waist down for the first "phase" which can be one day or several, depending on how easily they catch on to figuring out they're going. Then they go "commando" for a few weeks before starting with big kid undies.

DS only had one accident this morning, and it was his first day going commando. Yesterday I tried to have him in shorts so he'd get used to it v. naked, but he kept refusing to put them back on after going potty. Today he didn't drink much and we were out at appointments/errands, but he did well with the potty in the car and then when we got home he started refusing to go, then peed in his pants during lunch. Ah, well... I knew it wasn't going to be perfect!

He really seems to dislike the potty now that the novelty has worn off, and I don't know what to do about that. He wants to use the big toilet, but he doesn't actually "like" being up there and hasn't pooped yet today....

At any rate, it's worth a try. I hope it goes well for you!

#25 of 29 Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM

flip and grovia have cloth pullups with replaceable pads, a lot of children do start early and theres nothing wrong with being a part time trainer in my book, why not go on the potty just a few times a day, just a few less diapers to wash and he can get comfortable at his very own pace :) there are also other companies these are just very cost effective.

#26 of 29 Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he's just going full-bore now. He's often refusing to even use the little potty -- he wants to use the toilet like the rest of us, and we don't have an insert for him yet. Doesn't matter to him!

He's not quite there with full awareness/execution yet, but he's getting there. Strangely enough, he has stayed dry all the times we have been out this week; the only accidents he's had were at home, with and without pants.

So I guess at this point, there's no need for pull-ups! LOL That's what I get for trying to plan ahead.

#27 of 29 Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Well, he's just going full-bore now. He's often refusing to even use the little potty -- he wants to use the toilet like the rest of us, and we don't have an insert for him yet. Doesn't matter to him!

He's not quite there with full awareness/execution yet, but he's getting there. Strangely enough, he has stayed dry all the times we have been out this week; the only accidents he's had were at home, with and without pants.

So I guess at this point, there's no need for pull-ups! LOL That's what I get for trying to plan ahead.

That is AWESOME!!!!!!

Just hold him over the toilet. An insert with a little step stool is fun though and when he's a bit older he can do it himself. It also offers variety!!! How exciting!!!

#28 of 29 Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would start potty training now because your toddler is giving you very, very clear signals to start. Imse VImse makes a great training pant with PUL built in. "Diapering free before 3" is a great read.

#29 of 29 Old 07-20-2013, 05:31 PM

I just found a blog that has instructions for making some so I think that's what I am going to do as we already have these same kind of training pants also. Really what I had been looking for was to just keep the mess of an accident while out and about to a minimum and these will do just that! Here is a link to it if anyone else wants to try their hand at making some! http://itsourlongstory.blogspot.com/2012/01/diy-cloth-training-pants.html?showComment=1328030266224#c6638174278670575212

-Laura

wife of Ben

mommy to DS Dade 10/10/10 & DD Elloree 12/14/11

TTC #3

goorganic.jpg   h20homebirth.gif   saynovax.gif   homeschool.gif   blogging.jpg

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page