Overnight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Came across a snag with cloth diapering - what the heck do you do about overnight?  We put Nate down about 8 or 9, he slept till about 12:30 (just settled him back down) and he woke up screaming cause he was soaked.  How do you guys handle this so he sleeps through the night?  We're using prefolds, and he sleeps in a sleep pod.  

Thanks for the advice!!

Staff Note: Would you like to leave a comment on this thread? Only Mothering Members can post - and you can become one too! We offer easy Facebook Connect and new account registration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 07-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always change my babies. They just won't sleep wet.
#3 of 25 Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
How old is the baby? We changed our son at night for the first few months. After that we just doubled up the prefolds and that worked for awhile.
#4 of 25 Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

He's 3.5 months.
#5 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Yeah, try stuffing some extra prefolds in there! It might work, and as your child gets older, he may pee a little less at night.

#6 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 01:23 PM

I have always added a booster into the nappy and used a lanolised disana wool cover (wool is amazing for night!) and never had a leak.

WAHM, Married to my best friend, Proud Mama to our sweet baby boy 29.5.10, Addicted to and loving
#7 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 PM

I used Bum Genius diapers with an an extra insert (the newborn insert). It worked for us even with our preschooler who was still wetting at night.
#8 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Depends on your child, some kids pee and wake up and all you can do is change them quick and back to bed. In my experience wool being absorbant and enough diaper will get you through most any night if your child sleeps long stretches thats your best bet. if you get a thick wool soaker or longies you should be set, and dont be afraid to size up because if youre only using it for nights it wont matter and one might get you through a year, just properly care for it and hang it to dry between wettings, if you wash once or twice a week and lanolize 2x a month depending on how heavily you lanolize you will be very happy. but if you are into synthetics and not wool some people swear by stay dry or fleece liners to keep moisture off the bum. you can buy a couple and try them or some people just use a piece of fleece fabric. also keep in mind he might just hate being wet and you might have to change him consider having a change ready or maybe he pees at the same time every night and you can get to him before he wakes himself too much. Good luck.

#9 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM

We've always used Neet hemp soakers either doubled with a prefold or just with a microfiber liner on top, first in the newborn size and now regular.  They're amazingly absorbant and not bulky at all.

#10 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM

When my ten month old was a newborn (probably for the first ten or twelve weeks) we would change her diaper every time she woke up to nurse at night or I would wake up in a little puddle of pee.  It took us a while to figure out our overnight routine but once we started using a BumGenius stuffed with an extra liner (we use the newborn inserts) things got much easier.  She stays in the same diaper from when I put her down until she wakes up in the morning and we never have leaks.  I prefer to use cotton prefolds during the day - partially because they're cheap and partially because I prefer the natural fiber - but the four BumGenius diapers that we got for night time use was money well spent and make life so much easier for us!

Good luck to you...give it a little time and try a few things out and for sure you'll figure out what works best for you and your babe.

#11 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Alright, I'm going to be honest here. We CD full time during the day, but until recently I just could not figure out a CD system that worked for us at night. When my son was newborn, he leaked all the time at night. I tried prefolds and wool, I tried AIO's, I tried prefolds and a cover, they all leaked. So I gave up and used 7th gen's paper diapers at night. As he got older, I kept trying to switch back to using cloth,but the issues changed. Now, he didn't leak, since he nursed less during the night as he started sleeping more soundly. But he would develop a rash if I didn't change him during the night because of the way cloth diapers tend to hold the wet closer to his skin. If I did change him during the night, it would wake him all the way up and I would have a heck of a time getting him back to sleep. Now, finally, at around 17 months or so, he's getting to the point where he rarely pees in his sleep, and I can use cloth on him at night without disturbing his sleep or causing a rash. So... I guess what I'm saying is, just try out the options. One might work great for you. But it might not, too. If it doesn't, then try not to feel too defeated. Things change as they get older, and it might work later if it doesn't work now. 

#12 of 25 Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 PM

I usually use a hemp prefold or extra inserts...don't give up, there are good overnight cloth diapering options!

I have just ordered a Kawaii Goodnight Heavy Wetter...I shall see what happens with that. I am going to try it for my 2 1/2 year so and my 4 month old daughter.

I have also heard of people having good results with a fitted diaper.

#13 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM

We cloth diapered at two different stages in our parenting, (we have 5 kiddos), once 24 yrs ago (when there weren't all the nice things to cloth diaper with now), and again 2yrs ago. Both times for night time heavy wetters (used this trick for the disposable ones too, cause we used the cheap diapers) we would by the cheapest, no frills, thickest maxi pad, stick it right in the diaper. No leaks!!! Ever!!! I know it's kinda silly, but you do what you have too!

#14 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 AM

We change at night. I think it's gross to let a child sit in pee for hours.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#15 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM

When my baby was young and not very mobile, I would sometimes just lay him on top of a prefold and put another one on top of him. When he nursed, I would just loosely wrap the top one around him until I set him back down. If one got wet, I just replaced it from the pile by my bed. Now that he is mobile, I use the Kawaii GNHWs. They work really well for me, and he sleeps for a long time (12 hours or more). They also work well for my 2yo son. Good luck finding what works for you!

#16 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM

I have found hemp inserts to work well for night. They absorb good and are not too bulky compared with adding another prefold. Good luck!

#17 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM

My first son peed through almost every night, so we did cloth diapers during the day and Pampers Extra Nighttime Projection disposables at night.

My second son does not have the same problem, so we haven't had to use the nighttime diapers.

We use these: http://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Extra-Protection-Diapers-Super/dp/B005TI84R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374171947&sr=8-1&keywords=pampers+extra+protection

#18 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I change diapers at every feeding until they start sleeping longer at night.  Then I double diaper and don't change until the early morning feeding.  I mostly used prefolds and plastic pants.  I didn't find out about wool soakers until my grandchildren were born.  With my last, I made contoured diapers from an old (c. 1960s) diaper cover pattern.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#19 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 01:23 PM

The best inserts I found for super absorbency were Softbums bamboo velour. They are trim so it's much easier to double up than using two prefolds! Also, the Omni shell by Softbums is absolutely leak proof in my experience. The trick is they have elastic drawstrings in the thigh openings, so you just adjust them as your baby grows - not too tight, but no gaps. The omni also has an optionsl pocket, if you prefer microfiber next to baby's skin.

I did try wool and prefolds first, which got too stinky for me, and a variety of other shells and inserts. I am not a microfiber fan because you have to be quite careful with maintanence so it doesn't start repelling liquid, plus it pills over time. For DD2 I went all Softbums shells and bamboo inserts and was very happy with the results 8-). Bamboo does take twice as long to dry, is the only drawback (I toldja it was absorbent right? Hehe)
#20 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 01:36 PM

We use bumgenius organic AIOs, they go 12 hours without leaks and my baby rarely gets a rash. I've also heard of people having great success with wool covers and my next investment will be fitted diapers with wool covers since the all in ones are kind of bulky. Neither of my kids ever seemed to mind being wet during the night though, so letting them sleep without changing was never really an issue. 

Athena, mommy to Anastasia hearts.gif(1/18/09) and Genevieve luxlove.gif (1/22/13)

#21 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM

We had a very heavy wetter who slept through the night very early (like 10 hour nights at 2-3 months old), and what worked for him was a flat with two prefolds inside the center section of an origami fold with a hemp and zorb liner next to his skin, under a long wool cover.

If you're looking to purchase a solution, this is the one our local natural parenting store recommends: http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/packagedeals/overnightstaydrydiaperkit

It's also helpful, when you're putting that overnight diaper on, to really slather the skin with a water-resistant balm to fend off irritation.  Lanolin works great for this, but we usually use a homemade beeswax-EVOO balm (melt 1 oz beeswax into 1/2cup oil, let cool).

#22 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM

BumGenius free time.
#23 of 25 Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM

I use Imagine all in one's from Nikki's Diapers. Don't really have an issue with leaks.

#24 of 25 Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM

I changed DD at night when she was up for a feeding for the first couple of months. After that I just added an extra insert or two to her diapers (MEOS fitted + cover). Around a year old her pee seemed to get stronger and she would wake up with a rash so I got some inexpensive 100% fleece from the fabric store and cut it for liners to put over top of her diaper - that seemed to keep the wetness from bothering her bum while she slept. Now at 28 months we do use a disposable overnight as she kept getting a rash at night no matter what we did.

Hope some of those suggestions are helpful, and keep in mind that you may need to change your approach as your baby grows and changes like we did, nothing wrong with that.

#25 of 25 Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 AM

Mamaliea, we do the same. Cloth diapers during the day, paper diapers (7th gen or earth's best) at night. Otherwise she is up needing to be changed so many times at night (she nurses through the night a lot, which is great, but means more pee. The paper ones just soak it up better so she doesn't wake up at the first little bit of wetness.

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
M/C 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page