How many cloth diaper mamas use cloth on themselves? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: I use cloth diapers on my babe and...
cloth pads/the Keeper/Sea sponge/other natural reusable product on myself. 100 74.07%
organic disosable products on myself. 4 2.96%
regular disposable products on myself. 31 22.96%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2004, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use cloth pads for the same reasons I use cloth dipes ~ skin irritation, economics, and environmental.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 09:11 PM

Ok, I didn't vote because I use both on myself. I tend to use disposables for the first day or two, then I use my mama pads. My AFs have been unusually heavy since I had Brandan and they've returned. I only have the Luna pads as well and find them a little bulky...

Nada, thinking I would prolly use mama pads full time if I had really good ones
Old 04-26-2004, 10:15 PM

I use cloth pads most of the time (well, I did before getting pregnant!!!) and an occasional organic tampon.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:27 PM

I have one cloth pad and love it. My issue is that we are ttc and I keep hoping and praying that it will be another 2 years before I need them again. I am afraid that I will spend a lot of money and then get pg. But then again, perhaps it's the best way to get pg! :LOL

Can someone spam me with some nice cloth pad sites? Anything cute, comfy, effective, AND affordable?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackray
Wow! I had no idea so many mama's used cloth for themselves! I do not. That's so sad about sponges, a pretty gross thought too! I looked into the keeper and the diva cup a year or so ago, but I think that they are both latex and I'm allergic. Oh, well, I'm gonna stick with disposable stuff for me!
The Diva Cup is SILICONE, not latex. Check it out: http://www.divacup.com I have a bit of latex sensitivity from condoms, so I will likely be using NFP/FAM once my fertility returns.

That said, my ds turned 1yo this weekend and still no AF. I only got a 6mo break after dd was born so I'm very excited! I used cloth pads two years ago while ttc'ing for ds and I have a brand new DivaCup in my diaper bag for when AF makes her return. I'm in no hurry though!

After using cloth, there's no way I'd go back to sposie feminine protection : again. Cloth is awesome for the postpartum period too.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 PM

Yes, I was about to ask the same thing. Cost isn't a factor, though. I don't mind paying more for higher quality.

Which are best?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackray
Wow! I had no idea so many mama's used cloth for themselves! I do not. That's so sad about sponges, a pretty gross thought too! I looked into the keeper and the diva cup a year or so ago, but I think that they are both latex and I'm allergic. Oh, well, I'm gonna stick with disposable stuff for me!
Actually the diva cup is made out of silicone http://www.keeper.com/ :

Quote:
The DivaCup is made of durable medical grade silicone, which is clear, odorless, latex-free and 100% hypoallergenic (unlike latex or "gum rubber" based products). The DivaCup is cleared for marketing by the FDA and Health Canada, and is also available to all countries in the European Union.
I was looking into getting one, but I love my cloth pads
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM

I love my cloth pads. I have purchased some and made some, but I haven't found "the one" yet. I also like my diva cup, but after several months, am still getting the hang of it.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I love the ones made by www.countrycuttins.com -- they are so soft and comfortable!

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:53 PM

my very favorite pads: http://www.reddyspads.com

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 04-26-2004, 10:55 PM

i use the diva, but if i didnt have that, i would use cloth. the nice thing about the diva is their 1 year guarantee...with terms like that, there is no reason not to at least try it out cause there is nothing to lose! lol
Old 04-26-2004, 10:56 PM

I've heard great things about Freshies! pads http://www.freshies.ca . Specifically if you purchase lots, you are almost guaranteed to get pregnant. That's not endorsed of course , but seems to be the case often. I'm still getting over the 5th grade ewwwwwwwwwwwww problem with AF but I'm working myself towards cloth. I'll get some from Kendell when I reach that milestone, hopefully soon.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:58 PM

www.freshies.ca Fresh Moon pads are my absolute FAVE!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:52 AM

I use the Keeper (when I'm not pregnant!). I couldn't use pads because the feeling of them would drive me nuts. I've never had a leak from the Keeper. It rocks!

~Daednu
Old 04-27-2004, 11:39 AM

OK - I've held out for a few days, but I felt this has to be said. I'm honestly a little hurt by this thread and some of the responses that I feel have been directly towards me. It's a personal decision for me not to use cloth and I don't want to be judged for it. I KNOW there are chemicals and stuff in the sposies and it would be better to use cloth, but I've chosen not to. My husband is also NOT a bad guy for being sensitive in that department. It's not that he's close minded - he has a very weak stomach and blood of any kind makes him pass out. I don't want to offend anyone by saying this because I just love everyone here, but I also felt the need to stand up for my DH. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:09 PM

mikahsmomma-

i am sorry you feel anything in this thread was directed at you. i can only speak for myself when i say that isnt the case. you are not being judged, nor have i taken note of the names of anyone who posted in reply that they use disposable products. on an individual basis, it means absolutely nothing to me.

i think its important that people realize where my strong opinion comes from. yes, your choice to use disposable feminine protection is personal- just as my choice not to is personal. however, the choice of millions of women ,and the conseuences of that choice, effects me and my family in a very real way. it isnt just a personal decision- my world is polluted. my baby's world. that may sound dramatic, but it is the truth, and that is where my strong negative opinion of disposable items comes from. i have no negative feelings against you and i respect your choices.

but we cant all PC it into the ground saying "oh whatever is best for your family" - that is true, as long as whatever is best for somone else isnt killing me, and in the case of disposable living, it *is* killing me. us- all of us- the Great Lakes, full of dioxins and organichlorines, whole species begin perverted by paper bleaching, landfills leaching into our earth, God it makes me want to vomit. I do my best not to participate in this pollution, and i do not apologize for wishing everyone else would, too.

maybe i am a sap, but this is how i feel about this issue every single day. my strong opinions come from a much deeper level than whether or not an individual chooses cloth.

I do not judge you, or your husband, do what is right for you. I know that no one can make these choices but you. When i post my feelings on it, please, dont take it personally. As you can see i mourn the larger issue, the mass consequences of the 'choice'.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 04-27-2004, 12:27 PM

I use the Diva Cup. I just finished my first period using it exclusively, and it was definitely less than horrible, LOL. I didn't have the awful cramps that I had with tampons, and it was so much more comfortable than using disposable pads. I haven't tried mama cloth yet but will probably whip up a stash of them for postpartum use after the next baby comes. The disposable ones I used after DD was born were just awful.

DH doesn't really care what I use for my period, but he's definitely appreciative that I'm not complaining of cramps when I use the Diva Cup. Not to mention that there's not all kinds of trash being generated.

Oh, yeah. That Diva Cup sure does have a steep learning curve, though.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:52 PM

Thanks Tabitha. I have no problem at all with people pointing out that it's better for the earth or for me. I DO completely understand that and I completely support those beliefs which is why I'm here! I've not been a very earth-friendly person in the past and I'm working to gradually change that, but cloth pads will probably be one of the last changes I make. The only problem that I had with this thread was any implication that my DH was not supportive because he couldn't handle the idea of cloth for me.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikahsMomma
The only problem that I had with this thread was any implication that my DH was not supportive because he couldn't handle the idea of cloth for me.
I am not picking on you or your husband; as I wrote above, my husband is also kind of squicked at the thought of cloth pads. But the clean pads stored in the cabinet are pretty darn inoffensive, the used pads are kept in a covered pail and laundered by me. IF you wanted to switch, your husband wouldn't have to be involved at all.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:25 PM

T Chickabiddy - I saw your location and just wanted to say that I was born there and lived there until I was 4. It's gorgeous and I'd love to get back there someday!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:59 PM

I didn't vote b/c I AF hasn't returned yet and I'm enjoying that!
I did use disposable before ds was born but will probably try the diva cup & or mama cloth probably will try both.....
Old 04-28-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama
I suppose I should feel ashamed of all the damage I am doing to the ocean because I use them......but I don't. The literature I got with my sponges says that they are farmed, and reproduce while harvesting. They don't "grow back", they make babies. And yes, they are natural. A sea sponge is the skeleton of a sea creature with the same name - it is 100% natural, compostable, and renewable if done right. Just like any other farming can be done badly, or be done right.
sorry but you are wrong about this. They are no longer farmed because of the massive amounts of disease that occured. They spawn babies into the water yes,but a sponge has to catch them. They are hooked and torn and only 1 in 3 will reproduce/and regrow. The companies that sell menstrual sponges are Florida based and spongers dock on my canal. I also wrote a paper on this topic for PETA which I am happy to provide. My info comes from our local fisheries commission in Florida. You are putting a rotted animal in your yoni. I am not asking you to feel guilty, that is not my intent. Just setting the record straight. They are killed for craft products, feminine hygeine and medical research.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:32 PM

ok, now I've got something else to spend hours at the computer shopping for... :
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 PM

I have recently switched to cloth mama pads and I have to say I will NEVER go back! I switched kinda as a dare. I had horrible cramps and extreme pain with my periods and I read that it might be due to the chemicals that are in disposable pads. So i'm currently on my third cycle with cloth pads and I have had next to no cramps. The first day was very mild and after that i was fine.

And now I get to go shopping and by something for me...not just baby

-Melissa
Old 04-28-2004, 11:43 PM

I first used cloth pads postpartem after my 3rd.. and wouldn't use anything else now. My healing was sooo much better with cloth pads I was amazed!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:01 AM

Cloth for me...although I haven't had a period since 11/02 -- I'm all stocked up on Mom and Me Creations pads to use. I made some myself to use previously and loved them!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:26 AM

A friend and I made cloth pads and I have to say I will never go back.......I love them!!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 04:27 AM

I use cloth. The disposies itch so bad.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:34 PM

Cloth pads here
Old 05-01-2004, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The disposies itch so bad
Isn't that crazy? I always thought it was normal until I switched to cloth. Switching to cloth really reaffirmed for me what a good thing I was doing for my babies putting them in cloth.

User Tag List