How many cloth diaper mamas use cloth on themselves? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: I use cloth diapers on my babe and...
cloth pads/the Keeper/Sea sponge/other natural reusable product on myself. 100 74.07%
organic disosable products on myself. 4 2.96%
regular disposable products on myself. 31 22.96%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2004, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 12:45 PM

I do
Old 04-26-2004, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I use the Keeper and cloth pads- I used to use sposie pads and tampons and then I relized how many women get cancer down there and all the chemicals they use, I said no way! And to tell you the truth- I LOVE my keeper- how did I ever go so long with out it??

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:46 PM

we also use cloth wipes - the whole family. i dont think we own a single disposable thing. hmmmm. thinking.... hm. no.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 04-26-2004, 12:47 PM

I used the Keeper till pg with Libby and now I use cloth pads

I like 'em!

Kimberly
Old 04-26-2004, 12:47 PM

I use a keeper with cloth pads for back-up.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:48 PM

I didn't vote b/c I still haven't got my period PP. But, I did convert my mom into using cloth pads! I plan on using the keeper/cloth when my period does come back and eventually I want to use cloth wipes!!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:49 PM

I'm planning on using cloth once my period has returned (I've had only one period since March 2001!) - I've collected quite a stash, I just haven't had the opportunity to try it (not that I'm complaining!)
Old 04-26-2004, 12:52 PM

i voted regular disposables. I am currently not using anything b/c i'm BF and AF hasnt visited yet, but that is what i used pre-baby. But when I do get a visit, I plan on going to cloth. I need to start building a supply right now.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I need to switch us to cloth TP. Dh is kind of scared of the idea and, well, so am I. :LOL How does that work for you? I was thinking we could turn around and spray them off right away with the minishower and then drop them in a wet pail right there in the bathroom. What do you do? I feel inspired now! Maybe we'll have to switch. That is the only paper product, other than paper, that we still have around.
I use cloth pads, BTW. I used the Sea Sponge once and liked it ok, but I prefer pads. I have only used them for one period though, before I got pregnant this last time, and then for postpartum. I am acutually looking forward to starting again so I can use my pretty pads.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:54 PM

I use the Diva Cup and also have a couple cloth pads for the days when AF is light.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:55 PM

I voted reg disposables b/c that's what I used pre-ds. Still no return of AF, but I'm looking into the keeper for then.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
Old 04-26-2004, 01:11 PM

Regular 'ol disposable pads for me. DH can handle cloth for Mikah, but I'm afraid cloth for me would just about send him over the edge. Plus I work out of the home and I'm afraid it would just be too much to handle dealing with them at work. My period is SO light since I've had Mikah that the Keeper or Diva cup probably wouldn't even be worth it for me. I can't even use tampons anymore - it would take me a whole day to fill a normal sized one and that's just not healthy. I probably SHOULD switch to cloth - I probably wouldn't have any problem with such a light flow - , but I just can't bring myself to yet.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:15 PM

Disposables here. I just can't go there, sorry
Old 04-26-2004, 01:17 PM

Kelly- unless you say something or leave bloody pads all over the house, I doubt your dh would notice.

I use a diva cup on heavy days and either a panty liner or folded wipe on light days. I have some regular pads as well for when I feel too crampy to bother with the diva cup. I just chuck the pads in with the diaper pail... no bowl of bloody water on top the toilet for me! I know some women soak their pads and use the water to feed plants. THAT would grant me a ticket to the looney bin if dh caught wind of that.

but then who cares
Old 04-26-2004, 01:22 PM

Once you try cloth, you'll never go back. It's so much softer, more comfortable, you don't have to worry about "smelling" when your on your period. It's like sleeping on the hard ground with just a blanket vs. in your soft bed with your favorite comforter. DH doesn't want to hear about it, but I keep everything where he can't see it so he doesn't know the difference anyway (except that I'm happier when AF visits). Last AF was the first time I tried cloth, and I will never go back. I'll use a washrag if I have to - no more disposable products for me.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
Old 04-26-2004, 01:23 PM

we do nothing special with our wipes. we have a small covered wet pail we throw them in. no spraying or anything, and when the pail is full it goes in with a load of diapers.

of course we do nothing special with our dipes either.

cloth is wonderfullly comfortable and does a much better job of cleaning than icky paper. and it is kind to the earth.

read around and im sure any of you who use reg, feminine products will choose at least organic disposables. Reg ones are full of chemicals (chlorines, dioxins) that can have a profound negative effect on your most special area. pre babe i used organic pads and tampons, now i wont even put anything up in there, organic or not. I have a fair collection or cloth pp pads for after this birth- then, i hope not to see AF for awhile. (tandem nursing! it better work this time! - i got af at 4.5 months last time)

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 04-26-2004, 01:28 PM

had to add- why would your husbands be offended? (anyones husband?)

karl wants the very best for me, and he isnt grossed out by me! i dont get it. were both adults. i mena, he knows i have a period. its part of being my life partner?!

also, since i began to use cloth everything and really respect my bodily functions by placing importance on even the smallest aspect of how i care for myself, i feel so much better. like most american girls, i was raised to think my period was disgusting. now i know better, and i realize how that attitude permeates every part of your self esteem. it isnt obvious, but it does. birth and breastfeeding and everything has helped me recover from it.

tabitha

Old 04-26-2004, 01:30 PM

Cloth pads. I even convinced my unmarried, 22 yo SIL to use them.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:31 PM

I've been using cloth pads for the very few periods I've had in the last few years. I make them myself from diaper fabric scraps. I do occasionally use conventional tampons though. I'd like to get a diva cup, but I'm hoping to not have any more periods for a while, since I'm ttc. When I start menstruating after this next babe I'll definitely get a keeper/diva cup and go totally reusable!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM

I voted that I use cloth pads I wouldnt have it any other way.

Christina

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM

Kelly, my husband hasn't even noticed yet and I've been using them for at least 8 months.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
also, since i began to use cloth everything and really respect my bodily functions by placing importance on even the smallest aspect of how i care for myself, i feel so much better. like most american girls, i was raised to think my period was disgusting. now i know better, and i realize how that attitude permeates every part of your self esteem. it isnt obvious, but it does. birth and breastfeeding and everything has helped me recover from it.

tabitha
And I totally agree with that.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:38 PM

I love it! Would never go back!

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:39 PM

Even though AF has not returned yet, I have switched over and built a good stash of mama cloth. I wear cloth liners now just for "freshness" and also because I'm always paranoid that AF will choose to return when I'm out and about :LOL and love them. I can't believe I wore paper/plastic for so long. I wish I had known about cloth for pp - it would have been so much nicer. I'm also going to get a Diva cup before we go on vacation this summer, that way if AF returns while vacationing, I'll have the cup ready to use.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 04-26-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha
had to add- why would your husbands be offended? (anyones husband?)

karl wants the very best for me, and he isnt grossed out by me! i dont get it. were both adults. i mena, he knows i have a period. its part of being my life partner?!

tabitha

ITA!!!

My husband has pretty no say at all over what I use for my own body and he is not grossed out by me. I would not take kindly to him being icked out by my cycle, at all.

Health and environmental reasons aside I would not use disposable products because of their horrid advertising techniques. Making girls and women feel like they are dirty and smelly and need to be sanitized. For one thing, my blood does not smell but I will tell you what does: deodorized pads and tampons. PU!!! I had to borrow a nasty gel pad from someone once and it was "deodorized for my protection" and holy cow, did I reek when I got home. Nasty!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 04-26-2004, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

ITA tabitha. That seems crazy for a dh to be grossed out by something like that.
I encourage those that haven't switched yet to give it a try. I was amazed at how much better it was. It really made me feel so glad that I cloth diaper my babies because now I know cloth is so much more comfy and nice. It isn't hard to deal with at all either so have no fears. I cloth diapered for 2.5 years before I had the nerve to switch, so I know how you feel. But I'll never go back now.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:44 PM

Keeper and disp. liners. I was thinking of getting cloth liners, but no way I could do any kind of pads, cloth or otherwise.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Good rant Sheena. Thank you. That had to be said.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
Good rant Sheena. Thank you. That had to be said.
LOL. This is timely, I have wicked PMS today... despite having an around the clock nurser. again...

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).

User Tag List