I want to find an easier way to cloth diaper at night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use cloth diapers during the day. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to change diapers every two hours at night. I want to just nurse him and get back to sleep! I use paper diapers at night. Does anyone else do this? I can't really think of an alternative but I really hate to use disposables.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM

I haven't changed during the night since my baby was maybe 1.5-2 months old... we usually use bumgenius freetimes or elementals at night. They have they stay dry fabric so she doesn't feel wet and they really hold a lot. I know others have had a lot of success with fitteds and covers at night, but fitteds aren't really for us.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM

We did this, and it wasn't laziness-driven: our first was so hard to get to sleep, but she slept for looooong periods (and nursed in her sleep) once she was finally asleep.  She also required major swaddling to stay asleep and after several instances of wetting through sleepers, deswaddling and changing, and going through a long, torturous back-to-sleep effort, we switched to disposables and never looked back.  Not ideal, but it kept us sane(r).

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 PM

We used cloth and stopped changing diapers at night as soon as they stopped pooping at night. If we needed more absorbancy, we just layered two diapers.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I am not lazy in general, but when it comes down to diapers at night I just want to get back to bed! (Unless it's a poopie diaper of course.) I think I'll just stick with cloth by day and disposables by night. It's been working pretty well for us. Thanks guys!

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We do the same. Sometimes he falls asleep in a cloth for the night and well, oh well, he'll live...other times it's a sposie. DH insists on sposie at night even though he's more likely to leak through by the morning....

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Once they stopped pooping at night, I never changed my kids at night. Wool covers are awesome for avoiding leaks at night.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:23 PM

My 3-week-old daughter can not STAND to be wet, which means lots of nighttime cloth changes for us. Right now we use prefolds or fitteds and PUL or wool covers, but I'm thinking of trying out some kind of fancy stay-dry lining or something. Suggestions?

Is this just her personality, or will the nighttime "OMG I'M WET" freakouts end as she gets older and more settled, do you think?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeohee View Post

My 3-week-old daughter can not STAND to be wet, which means lots of nighttime cloth changes for us. Right now we use prefolds or fitteds and PUL or wool covers, but I'm thinking of trying out some kind of fancy stay-dry lining or something. Suggestions?

Is this just her personality, or will the nighttime "OMG I'M WET" freakouts end as she gets older and more settled, do you think?

Have you tried a fleece liner? You can buy some fleece and cut it into rectangles, or cut up an old fleece shirt. Fleece wicks away moisture and can feel dry when damp.

OP can you double up the prefold or add a soaker with a fleece liner for night time?

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM

My super soaker would leak through everything at night. Then I started putting him in a snappied prefold with a 3 layer bamboo doubler (or 2) laid in, and a wool cover. Easy breezy, and we've had several nights in a row with no leaks. I bought 2 sbish fitteds to try but they haven't come in yet. The only improvement on our current system would be if they are trimmer. He has a pretty fluffy butt right now, but that's ok. Not waking up in a puddle is sooooo worth it.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
Old 08-31-2013, 01:06 PM

I use cloth every night, and my kiddo is a heavy-wetting 17 month old. We have two different night dipes that work for us 100% of the time. One is a Sustainablebabyish snap-less fitted bamboo terry diaper with one extra insert (so a total of 3 inserts), covered with a Disana wool soaker. Our other, much cheaper, night dipe option uses 3 flats and a wool cover. I fold two unbleached GMD flats into a kite fold and use one pad-folded flat in the wet zone, covered with the Disana wool soaker. This one actually works better than anything I have ever tried for a night dipe and the flats only cost $12 for 6 of them. The wool soaker is less than $30 I think. Never had a leak, and she sleeps 12 hours!!!

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List