Homemade diaper detergent help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I'm trying to go the homemade route for all my cleaning products but am struggling to find a recipe for laundry that is ok to use on my cloth diapers. I'm sure that many of you are making laundry detergent for use with your CDs. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Cheers!
#2 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/602159/laundry-detergent-home-made-vs-store-bought

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1070127/homemade-detergent-recipes

Check out these threads!! Good luck!

#3 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks tracyamber,
Those are good links for laundry detgent to be used with clothes: but my main issue is that there is concern over using those recipes with cloth diapers due to build up of soap. I am wondering if any of the cd-ind mamas out the have found a good recipe for use with diapers?
Anyone?.......
#4 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
#5 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. I guess no one has suggested a stellar recipe yet. Still lots of issues with build up. Anyone else out there?
#6 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 AM

I only have experience with plain old flannel diapers, so if you are using a different material, this may not help.  I follow the directions posted on the Duggar's website for homemade laundry detergent and I use it on everything.  I have a giant, five gallon bucket that cost less than $2 to make.  I havent' had a single problem...but again, that is for 100% cotton flannel.

#7 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mum06. Maybe I should just go ahead and try that recipe. I do have a lot of pocket diapers but if it ends up being a disaster, I can always strip them. Thanks again for relying, I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone out there ; )
#8 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 05:38 PM

No problem :)  Lots of things I've researched just say, "try it and see if it works for you."  :/ I will also add 1T borax and 1T washing soda if the load is particularly nasty.  I tried a lot of the recipes on different threads, but the Duggar's is my favorite.  It seems to clean better than the rest for some strange reason-even though it uses less borax and washing soda overall. 

#9 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM

i was just going to suggest that. just watch for build up. maybe run it thru a second full wash without soap and just vinegar to see if that prevents build up.

i think part of the problem with the homemade laundry soap is people tend to over use it. if it says 1 TBSP, they are serious. lol if you over do it (like use a 1/4 c) it builds up even on regular clothing

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#10 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks both. I know what you mean about adding a little extra, guilty!
Next load of detergent I make will be duggars, will just keep an eye out for build up. Extra cycle as a rinse is a good idea too.
#11 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM

i do it alot too! i keep thinking... there is no way a TBSP of soap can clean this and add some more. LOL

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page