Want to help with my cloth diapering registry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are expecting our first children (1 and 2!) in early February. I've used cloth diapers before as a nanny but I am a little bit lost on building our stash for twins. I've watched videos where people show their stashes and read posts, but I'd love some personalized guidance! I registered for diapers and supplies because I have a huge family; so I am optimistic that if each well meaning relative buys us one diaper instead of making us a disposable diaper cake we'll be well on our way :) That said, I'm also compiling the registry list as a way for me to keep track -- if no one buys us a single diaper we'll have the list to refer to when we buy them ourselves.

My idea was to use disposables until we're through the meconium stage, and then move onto cloth. If we are buying everything ourselves we'll probably use prefolds and covers for cost effectiveness, but if people want to buy us some AIOs that would make my husband very happy. A friend of mine has all AIOs and says it's the only way she can manage, I wonder if I am biting off more than I can chew with twins and prefolds. Hmm.

Anyway, the link to the registry is here: http://www.amazon.com/registry/baby/144QEPOM8D1BQ

I've just been putting stuff together here and there, no friends and family have the link yet. So the question is: Do I have too many diapers on there? Not enough? The wrong kinds? Every time I edit the list I confuse myself :eyesroll

Thanks in advance for all your help Diaper Pros!

Strawberry lover, dog-person, New Yorker. wool.gif (Who doesn't love a jump-roping sheep?)

#2 of 5 Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM

That's an awesome registry! I'm a little jealous, I want all that stuff for my LOs wink1.gif

So here are my thoughts. That, to me, is essentially a perfect starter collection. You'll get some serious mileage out of that. Even the dipes I'm not wild about I still use on laundry day, so it's not like any of that will end up being a complete waste. And you can always re-sell. The only thing I'll point out is that with such a wide variety of styles and sizes you will need to buy quite a bit more yourself. For example people tend to be pretty committed to either PUL or wool covers, so I'd expect to buy more of whichever you find you prefer. In terms of sizes, to put it in perspective, my little guy was just shy of 10 pounds at birth and we used the same 6 AIOs and dozen newborn covers and pre folds for his first three months before moving him into the one sizes. And that's a ten pounder. With twins I would be building up a serious newborn/xsmall/small stash before worrying about anything else. The one size styles just simply won't be effective with itty bitty babes, which of course twins are more likely to be.

The only other thing I'll suggest is to get a roll of biodegradable liners. It's only 5$ for 100. It makes it so much more convenient in the early days, really helps you stick with it and not get too overwhelmed. If the babes are going to be breastfed you can just remove the liner (and the bulk of the yuck with it) and toss the diaper straight in the wash without rinsing. Until you get used to things you may want to consider it. I can't imagine using a sprayer for two babies at every change straight out of the hospital (or birthing centre, or living room etc). I'm sure others will disagree with me, but hey, it's 5$ and will save you a little hassle in those early days. I'm referring to those tissue paper like liners, of course, not those giant g-diaper maxi pads. You'll also be able to use a wider variety of rash creams and have an easier time with any surprise leftover meconium.
Monica S likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Super helpful! Thank you so much Skelly! People say Lil Joeys are good for small babies -- any preferences on brands?

Strawberry lover, dog-person, New Yorker. wool.gif (Who doesn't love a jump-roping sheep?)

#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM

Congrats on twins! I have to say your diaper registry is impressive and I think ideal for starting out. I usually suggest trying multiple types and brands because you'll discover which ones work for you and your family as you go along, and the least favorite ones you still use on laundry day. I personally am a fan of prefolds and covers. I do use pockets and AIOs for the diaper bag and trips out, and fitteds for overnight. This has become my "routine" after diapering for 20 months.

I too used disposables in the beginning to take care of meconium and because the hospital gave me a couple of packages to take home.
As far as liners and sprayers go, I didn't use either while my LO was EBF. Breast milk and formula wash out easily from diapers and any stains are quickly removed by some sunning. Once my LO started solids, I scraped waste into the toilet until we got our sprayer. I'm a fan of the Potty Pail so that things do spray everywhere in the bathroom.

I think you're doing great and I really don't have any recommendations or preferences for small sized diapers. Good luck and HTH!
#5 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 PM

We loved fitted diapers when DD was little, they contained that runny poop that they seem to produce SO MUCH of (at least she did) much better than our AIO diapers, The fitteds we used were MotherEase Sandys in the XS size - some people say not to bother with these cause they don't last long, but DD was average sized as just under 8 lbs and she used them for like 2-3 months. And those first months are the toughest so it's worth it to have diapers that fit and work well! I think the Kissaluvs are very similar in design if that is something you are already getting, plus they have the cord snap down.

We had 20 fitteds and another 6 AIOs that we rarely reached for, with our next kiddo I hope to get another 10 or so diapers to get us around 30 so we don't have to rush to do laundry (I have since sold off the AIOs). I was not eager to use prefolds but some people really love them. I will say that newborn diapers have a great resale value so you will get a good chunk of the money back if you don't want to keep them. They are not worn for very long so they stay in good shape and they tend to get snapped up fast when you put them up for sale cause everyone loves tiny fluff. LOL Plus they are hard to find.

I would not go too crazy on bigger diapers (maybe get some small size to have ready for later so you don't worry about not having them) unless you get them as gifts because you will see what you like. Your preferences may also change as your babies grow. I adored those fitteds for my DD and liked them in the next size up too (also used the one-size ones then) but once she was really moving around and not trying to poop through everything I found I preferred pockets so I expanded my stash.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page