Help with Cleaning Used Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! I just got a complete set of used diapers for free from a neighbor for my baby on the way (YAY!). They appear to be in great condition, and my husband and I tested their absorbency by pouring cups of water on them and they held up beautifully.  However, I am worried about bacteria/yeast. I want to make sure all of this is out of my diapers before my little boy comes and wears them. I have a combination of bumGenius Freetimes, the Flip system, Simplex diapers, Thirsties All in Ones, and Swaddlebees pockets and prefolds.  I have read on the BumGenius website you can use bleach on their diapers (as well as the Flips) and that it's even recommended once a month. I did bleach all inserts and prefolds, but I am confused about the pockets/all in ones. Even if it doesn't necessarily harm the diaper to do so once in a while, won't the bleach affect the diaper's color? Some of these are soooooo cute and I don't want to ruin the cute pattern on the outside. Does BacOut achieve the same results? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a deal! I would skip the bleach and do a vinegar wash after a full stripping (washing with water only until the water runs clear, sometimes it takes several washings) maybe some other people will come along who can be more specific.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM

yeah i am not sure i would bleach them, strip them like the PP said, and run them thru a HOT HOT cycle with vinegar and hang them up in the sun to dry that should clean them really well and get any grody stuff out.

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#4 of 5 Old 09-13-2013, 01:18 PM

PUL won't bleach, you're safe smile.gif

And wow, what amazing generosity!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#5 of 5 Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks everyone. It was incredibly generous. There were over 40 diapers total. I have pretty amazing neighbors :)

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page