5 Month Old in Large Diapers Already. Help :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my DS is about 5 1/2 months old and I already transitioned him from the medium Clotheez diapers from Green Mountain Diapers to the brown edge larges. He is about 17.5 pounds, which is not huge, I know, but he large framed, so he makes up for it there.

I did this b/c rather than the reds being tight, and just getting tighter, he is much more comfortable in the browns. Also, as a containment issue b/c leak issues were increasing as the reds became to tight/smaller on him.

So. None of this would be a huge issue, if I owned diapers larger than this, but I don't. DD1 was in Bumgenius 3.0's, which we didn't love b/c of hard water/stripping/repelling/stink issues. And we sold  them.  DD2, we went to the prefolds w/ Bummis Whisper Pant covers. But, DD2 is much more petite, even than her older sister, she takes after me, while DD1 and DS take after my  husband. Also, DD2 potty trained very early, and transitioned out of diapers entirely at about 18 months old. However, even at 3 years old, she can still fit in the brown large diapers. Barely :) We had a practice session for DH before DS was born, lol.

So, what do I do? Get the toddler size prefolds? Just get larger covers and abandon the snappi kind of fold and stuff in all the other assorted sizes I have?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :) Brands, solutions, etc. I'm open to lots of things!

#2 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not familiar with the details that you're talking about (didn't use those brands) but I'm bumping your thread for you to get it some attention!

#3 of 5 Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

It occurs to me that the original post isn't super clear :) Basically, I'm talking about large size prefolds, specifically the Clotheez, Green Mountain Diaper brand. But, I don't own any cloth diapers larger than this, so I'm open to all suggestions, just know that we have hard well water, so polyester stuff tends to get bad build up no matter what I've tried. Thanks!

#4 of 5 Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 PM

Those should last a while longer. I used the brown ones on my two kids the longest of any size.  That said, when they are too tight to come around the hips, you could try fold them and lay them in the cover, and get larger covers to fit well. Or, the covers that are too tight with a snappied prefold might have some more room with a tri folded diaper with nothing around the hips.

I opted for the brown edge over red as well, and have been happy with the life span they gave size wise.

Your DS will also start to stretch out more and probably won't keep gaining at the same pace, so I think you will find they'll last longer than you think.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I used those same styles. I use mostly Flip brand covers (from green mtn diapes too!) and typically only use snappis when she is just barely big enough for the size- so I guess my advise is that by abandoning the snappi you will get a lot longer wear out of each size. I used bummis covers only minimally but overall haven't had any problems with not using snappis. I make the "angel wings" (as she describes in the green man web page)- so essentially the same configuration as using the snappi. My husband doesn't, just fold it in thirds and sets it in the middle of the cover.n either seems to be fine.

My DD is 2 and about 30 lbs. it's been a long time since we could snappi the red edge, and we just moved to brown, mostly b/c she kept leaking out from the red ones. Big toddler peepees. But we still use the red as back-up if we've run out of brown edge.

Sort of a separate note- DD just started at a daycare, 2 days/week. At first we used 'sposies, then the provider said she was fine with cloth so we started sending her with the brown edge. So today she asks "do you have any cloth diapers that are narrower in the crotch?" And I start rambling about leaking and switching from red to brown, thinking maybe the brown edge is poking out from the diaper covers? Then she says,"because I'm worried she is going to get bow-legged." I just smiled and said sure, I'll send the narrower ones. Of course, she'll probably leak from those and I'll hear about that. Bowlegged. Hah. When DD was a baby we had a physical therapist, and we had all sorts of conversations about if there was any anatomical issue r/t cloth diapers (esp with DD as she had low tone) and of course she said no, and in fact cloth diapered her own kids as babes.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page