Washer doesn't have a pre-rinse setting-big deal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi all, I just got started with cloth diapering. I heard that diapers should be pre-rinsed -prior to each washing but I have an old school washer without a pre rinse setting. Is that a big deal? Thanks

#2 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Mine has a heavy wash and light wash setting, I wash on heavy with detergent and borax then on light with vinegar. Works fine.

#3 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an "older" washer too.  I just did it manually.  I would run 1 cycle on cold.  shut it off after the wash cycle (or sometimes if I was lazy I would let it run the rinse too), then I would reset it, switch to HOT, let that run.  Then if I thought they needed another rinse, I would run it again on Cold.  Yes, 3 cycles for each batch of diapers. 

#4 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM

You can also pre-rinse each diaper before you put it in the pail either in the tub or using a diaper sprayer into the toilet.  I do that with poopy ones.  We are pretty much done with cloth diapers, my youngest is in pull-ups now. 

#5 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I also have an old-school washer (a model I've come across many times that just seems to work and last and I love it!)  For my "pre-rinse", I set it to the lowest end of the cycle, just before the rinse kicks it.  Works great.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#6 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM

Not a big deal. When I put diapers in, I set it on the final rinse first then come back and do the wash. It doesn't hold me up much.  I don't know how a pre rinse would work anyway before the wash...wouldn't you have to come back and put detergent in after that rinse?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#7 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, I just did my first load post-use. I ran it through one time with hot water and All free and clear detergent. I now have lovely yellow poop-stained diapers. Lol. Will try doing an extra cycle with cold to rinse. It seems like a waste of water but I have no choice.

#8 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM

My washer also has no extra rinse options.  I have always just ran a first wash on warm with detergent.  Then a second wash on warm with nothing.  

#9 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 AM

I just twist the knob straight to rinse. It fills up, agitates a bit, and the spins and drains. Then I add detergent and run a regular load. Finally an extra rinse just like the first step.

Clean dipes every time.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page