school me on flats - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I know there is a similar thread going on right now, but I have some questions that weren't covered in that one....
I'm fearful of poor absorbency, is one flat absorbent enough? Is 2 too bulky?

Do you fold them as needed or get them all ready to go so you can just grab one? I have 4 kids, I'm worried I won't have time to mess with all the folding...

Snappis work with these, right?

How many do you need?
tifga likes this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#2 of 20 Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It depends how old your baby is.  One large flat is plenty absorbent for a newborn.  But then they go through times of peeing heavily, and you'll probably need to add a doubler, like a small washcloth or cloth wipe(s).  For night you'll definitely need to use 2 flats and it is bulky, but aren't all nighttime cloth bums huge anyway?

Prefolding them helps speed things.  You don't have to use the origami fold though.  You can just make them into a rectangle to look like a prefold if you prefer.  But really once you get the hang of it it only takes maybe 15 seconds.   

You can snappi or lay in, whatever you prefer.  

You'll need as many as you would prefolds.  Personally I like 36 for under 6 months and 24 for over 6 months.  This allows me to wash every 2-3 days.  

HTH!

#3 of 20 Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Ds is 7 months. Thanx!
Yea, night time dipes, are expected to be rather huge lol
I'm just trying to get a general idea before I order ykwim
I was looking at the sherpa doublers on GMD. Anyone used these? I'm thinking about these and hemp doublers for bedtime...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#4 of 20 Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I really hope someone can answer my next question. So, I grew a little impatient, and looked up the origami fold on you tube, and have been folding receiving blankets like that for diapers, pinning them on, then I cut some fleece covers, they work fine a long as I am super careful to make sure they are snug and secure all around. My question is this, are flats truly superior to receiving blankets? I'm not impressed at all with them... Barely absorbent at all, and quite a pain in the neck to get on squirmy ds. So at this point, if flats are basically the same as the rec blankets, then I will probably go with prefolds. However I do have to say that I am over all pleased with the tshirt diaper trial...

#5 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Double post...

#6 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM

If you are using a normal flannel receiving blanket, I would say a large birdseye flat is a little bit more absorbent.  But still not as absorbent as a prefold.    

#7 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 AM

I did notice a difference between receiving blankets and flats, but not enough of one to cut out my blanket flats entirely.

I'm a flat addict. I love them. What I always did for overnights was to toss a booster in the middle of a kite fold before bringing the sides together. Little diaper sandwich. I always used a snappi to secure. If there's no snappi on hand I find a well fitting cover will keep it in place reasonably well on its own. And if you find flats don't work for you, you can do what I'm doing now (my second cloth diapered baby is going through a screaming bloody murder at change time phase, so speed of changing is a factor) I just fold the flat into a long rectangle and use it to stuff my pocket diapers. Makes the pockets crazy absorbent, a rolled up flat has an insane amount of layers. That's the great part about flats, you can basically turn them into whatever you want.

As for folding, I highly recommend folding as they come out of the laundry. You never know how baby will be behaving at change time. No one needs to remember the exact fold that works for every circumstance at 5 am with a crying baby. I just take a few minutes on laundry day to sit with the kids and hang out while I fold diapers. It only takes 20 minutes twice a week and then everything is in the diaper box ready to go.
#8 of 20 Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Skelly, can I ask what kind of flats you're using?

#9 of 20 Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 PM

I have about a dozen paper thin cotton flats that I picked up three years ago at a local cloth diaper store and am now using with my second baby. No brand name or really anything special, just a huge cotton square. It's the customization aspect I love so much, I can turn that plain square into basically whatever I need it to be.
#10 of 20 Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 AM

i've tried birdseye/gauze flats and wasn't to impressed, as well as the flannel ones.But in the interest of science ;) I picked up a bamboo jersey flat as a second off etsy. The price was just to good and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, now i haven't prepped it yet so i can't speak to that aspect but it is crazy soft and wonderful to touch, so if it's reasonably absorbant I can see how it could be a useful part of my diaper stash

#11 of 20 Old 10-12-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sure you're going to be in love with that diaper! From my experience with bamboo, its just about *the* most absorbent fabric that I've ever encountered, as well as soft!

#12 of 20 Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Mmmm. I really love my flats. Versatile, easy to wash/dry and I enjoy folding. Origami or pad folded.
#13 of 20 Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Brand recommendations?
I was wanting GMD, but that works out to $27.50 per dozen, and I'm thinking 2 or 3 dozen. That's a little on the high side for my family right now. (DH thinks the dozen pocket diapers I own should be plenty, so he is giving my kinda a hard time about buying more)
Diaper rite seemed more affordable, and got good reviews, but their outta stock till mid November!
So, any other recommendations?
Everything else I've seen that's in my "price range" has gotten crappy reviews....

#14 of 20 Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM

I origami fold my bamboo flats in 5 seconds.  No biggie.  Then snappi the thing on.  A doubler is great when you're not hanging around the house ready and able to change immediately upon peeing, as I don't think mine are all that absorbant on their own (but trim and soft, and I love bamboo).  A slim doubler doesn't ruin the fit and adds insurance in case babe falls asleep, that they won't wake in a puddle.

Mine are Little Bamboo organic muslin squares.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#15 of 20 Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I'm currently trying to sell my breast pump so I can raise money for GMDs. I adore bamboo, I'll have to check those out, thanks :-)

#16 of 20 Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM

http://www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/65/6850/little-bamboo-organic-muslin-squares-(pack-of-10)/

2 dollars each

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#17 of 20 Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you serafina, I really appreciate the link. I tried to order some, but it kept saying my postal code was wrong....????
Idk what's the deal with that lol

I'm probably just gonna hold out and wait for diaper junction to restock in mid Nov. I just can't bring myself to pay an extra $7 per dozen from GMD. But I'm still open to recommendations if anyone has 'em

#18 of 20 Old 10-18-2013, 02:25 AM

If you Google "little bamboo organic muslin squares" you'll find several UK stores that sell them and happily ship worldwide. Even after shipping costs they are vastly cheaper than other bamboo flats. I bought 4 packs of 10, so the shipping per each of the 40 diapers was negligible. Maybe buy with a friend or two to make it more of a bulk order?
Shipping came fast to me, but I'm not in the US (or the UK).

#19 of 20 Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thank you. My sister told me I could buy organic bamboo muslin by the yard from joannes.com cut them into whatever size squares and hem the edges.... Idk

#20 of 20 Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Hopefully you could!  I looked up the cost of buying such material locally and the price would have been 7-8 times more expensive than buying the little bamboo ones so obviously cost prohibitive.  But if you find a good source for inexpensive fabric then definitely!  

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page